GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing Golf R tails and going back to stock?

4fit

I am contemplating trading in my '12 GTI. It currently has OEM Golf R tails and has had the necessary vagcom tweaks to turn off the dash light. I was curious if anyone knew if removing the Rs and installing the stock tails would cause any dash lights to display. I would hate to trade it in with the Rs installed, but not sure I have the time to find someone who can help with the vagcom tweaks if removing them will cause any issues.

Thanks in advance!

corydd

Go Kart Champion
It's worth the effort though, you will get way more money by selling the LED's rather than trying to sell the stock units.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Take em off and put stocks on and trade her in. The dealer will take it from there. Sorry she's gotta go.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
This may help with coding them back to stock, the two possible values are at the bottom of the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Without doing any coding the oem outter halogen tails will not function properly and will throw a error code. They will only light up when you hit the brakes and not when you turn the lights on.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
I am contemplating trading in my '12 GTI. It currently has OEM Golf R tails and has had the necessary vagcom tweaks to turn off the dash light. I was curious if anyone knew if removing the Rs and installing the stock tails would cause any dash lights to display. I would hate to trade it in with the Rs installed, but not sure I have the time to find someone who can help with the vagcom tweaks if removing them will cause any issues.

Thanks in advance!
This might help if you need the vcds codes, this was the coding I did to my 2013 GTI when I got the oem r led tails. My car has led drls not sure if that would me a difference or not . But here are the vcds screens I took

Code before led tails( first attachment)
New code second attachment( led tails)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• code before led tails.PNG
    code before led tails.PNG
    30.5 KB · Views: 112
  • after led tail message error is off.PNG
    after led tail message error is off.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
This might help, this was the coding I did to my 2013 GTI when I got the oem r led tails. My car has led drls not sure if that would me a difference or not . But here are the vcds screens I took

Code before led tails( first attachment)
New code second attachment( led tails)

Yeah that's the same as the pic I posted above, byte 18 is 20 or 21 depending on wether led or standard lights are fitted, the OP should be fine using one of those.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah that's the same as the pic I posted above, byte 18 is 20 or 21 depending on wether led or standard lights are fitted, the OP should be fine using one of those.

You are right, I didn't see the byte part at first.