GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying car with potential red flags?

Justinxpx109

I’m looking into buying a used 2013 GTI (driven 60k miles since May 2013) and the seller has provided all service records so I have a pretty comprehensive picture of the life of the car.
I am worried about a few potential problems though and would like some advice on more information I should gather from the seller or if I should walk away.

April 2014 - 10k miles
10k service

February 2015 - 18k miles
20k service
Coolant leak - water pump replaced
Carbon buildup - throttle body cleaned

September 2015 - 24k miles
Both tail light bulbs replaced

October 2015 - 26k miles
Car shut off on freeway and couple second delay when starting
P0341 error - G40 camshaft sensor replaced
Water pump replaced
Driver’s side bulb out
bad connection from socket to bulb - socket replacement ordered
November 2015 - 28k miles
Car shuts off while driving again
Oil pressure light comes on with hard turn
Topped off oil levels
Driver’s side bulbholder socket replaced

April 2016 - 32k miles
30 service

September 2016 - 37k miles
During road test, found steering wheel offset
Found rear left shock leaking
4 tires replaced, but alignment declined due to steering wheel offset
July 2017 - 47k miles
40k service with dsg service
Car shuts off when accelerating
P0341 error - G40 camshaft sensor replaced
Passenger tail light housing and socket melted
requires new inner tail light assembly and bulb holder
February 2018 - 53k miles
Car lurches forward when taking off from stop like being rear ended. Can hear gear noise when slowing down. Wrench light flashed once and car would not move forward
Tech found faults stored in system for lack of pressure and DSG filter seal is leaking oil
Removed air box and battery, removed and replaced DSG filter seal. Filled DSG with fluid
Leak requires immediate attention. Cylinder head cover seal leaking oil onto exhaust manifold and down front of engine.
Removed breather valve, vacuum pump, timing cover, removed cylinder head cover. Removed sealant, cleaned cylinder head and cover, applied new sealant and reinstalled cylinder head cover. Replaced gaskets for breather valve, vacuum pump and timing cover and reinstalled parts.​

Last edited:

ahard48

Ready to race!
I mean, it sounds like if you want a car that shuts off on you leaving you stranded and pay for towing once a year go for it. But I wouldn't look into a car with that much bad luck. There are many GTI's out there. I'd pass on this one...

Rickr71

i would not buy it due to knowing the fluid drained enough from the DSG to cause it to lurch. They must be offering this car at a great deal for you to be considering it.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Even if this car is cheap. In all likely hood it will turn out to be a very expen$ive car. Keep looking, there are better ones out there.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I would walk. I have a 2013 dsg and I've only had a water pump fail and exhaust manifold stud break. I'm 97k miles

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Jaber

Modero
Hard pass.

Sounds like he took it to a crappy dealership. How many times does one part need to be replaced?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Run, don't walk. There are plenty of others out there with much better history. That one sounds cursed like my old '98 Integra GSR that I bought new and had nothing but bad things happen to it.

Jaber

Modero
Run, don't walk. There are plenty of others out there with much better history. That one sounds cursed like my old '98 Integra GSR that I bought new and had nothing but bad things happen to it.

And it sounds like the dealer who is servicing it, sucks.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Following the theme of the other responses in this thread...

...as the kids say today, "that's a nice big cup of nope."

14K and 15K oil changes on this car?? Fuck no.

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea that one should be a hard pass. I got my 2012 with 68k and all it had was regular oil changes through out its life. Granted some bigger stuff will need done soon but nothing as major as the car your looking at.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
And really, it's not just about the issues the vehicle has had...it's more that it's had some "difficult" to diagnose problems and multiple efforts to fix it.

I've had multiple water pumps and intake manifold replacements, but at least when it went, you knew what the issue was and it was fixed.

The shutting off...the surging issues...those kinds of things bring to mind the old electrical VW gremlins from 20+ years ago. They were just never (seemingly) able to correctly diagnose and fix those problems...

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’m surprised the seller hasn’t “misplaced” some of that history, looks to be what we used to refer them to as a Friday afternoon car! Basically a lemon! It’s probably had a hard life, You’ll easily find a better cared for example with a bit of searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk