GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rotor/pad recommendations?

G3Rizon

Passed Driver's Ed
Good afternoon, GMK6.

After owning my MK6 GTI for a short while, I recently had the opportunity to bring the car out to a small autocross event. Although the event and my subsequent times went well, I left the event feeling "These brakes need help."

When I purchased the vehicle from the dealership, it had been recently serviced with new rotors, pads, and tires throughout. However, I can't help but feel as though the quality of components used was like very cheap. The tires I received were $65.00 a piece tires that were harder than rock.. so I can't imagine that the dealership was too kind on the "quality over quantity" scale.

The tires have since been replaced with a brand new set of Firehawk I500's, as well as all of the easily accessible filters and fluids being replaced with quality components.

The rotors appear to be something similar to Centric blanks, so I'd like to run as much life out of them as possible. That being said however, I'm really interested in new brake pads.

In the past, I've ran multiple Subaru's on Hawk HPS Performance or HP 5.0 pads. Although they have been good, they have all began to generate a good bit of noise after awhile.

Ideally, I'd like to try something suitable for occasional autocross events, but primarily spirited street driving.

Does anybody have any recommendations as per brand/product? I've considered going back to the HPS Performance, but have also heard good things about EBC RedStuff's, StopTech Street pads, and more.

Any insight provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys; take care!

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
centric rotors, stoptech street pads . motul 5.1.

For daily/autox only cant go wrong. oem brake pads are very soft. stoptech streets, slightly more dust but no noise. enjoy

G3Rizon

Passed Driver's Ed

For daily/autox only cant go wrong. oem brake pads are very soft. stoptech streets, slightly more dust but no noise. enjoy

I appreciate the recommendation! Stoptech gear is priced well. This might be the way to go.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

This. Honestly go over to Tirerack's site and get it from there.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Grab the Stoptech pads from Rock Auto. Both front & rear for ~ $100.

Can't beat it.

G3Rizon

Passed Driver's Ed
This can't be right... right? Is this a set of pads for 1 corner each, or both corners front and rear?

If so... that is cheap!

(If image doesn't work, both CENTRIC 30811070 (Rear: StopTech Street) and CENTRIC 30814560 (Front: StopTech Street) are totaling to $68.58 through RockAuto)

Grab the Stoptech pads from Rock Auto. Both front & rear for ~ $100.

Can't beat it.

Last edited:

Edmundo

Ready to race!
It's actually $99.58 + shipping cost

pukahead

From what I've seen, the RockAuto the StopTech Streets (F&R) show as $68.58.
The StopTech Sports are ~$107, as of 10/21/18.

Haven't been on here for a long while. Shopping for pads, as I heard brake squeal today, and my left rear shows some wear sensor scratches.
Kinda surprised it's on the rear, so will have to check for debris. Especially since it's a 2012 GTI with <15k on it. Car is a stock Autobahn.

Anyway, it got me to looking at replacing front and rear pads with better stuff. Just wondering about the electronic wear sensors. Only familiar with plain old metal scraper sensors. Are these electronic sensors part of the pads? Fronts only? Are they transferable to new pads? Hoping someone can give me a quick lesson on these.

Thanks!

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Electronic sensors are part of the front pads, well a single pad actually. If you want to retain that function you must buy pads that have the electronic pigtail hanging out of one pad. It is not transferable from old to new pads. If you don't care about that functionality you can just cut the pigtail off the old brake pad, twist the 2 wires together, tape it up, and plug it back in. This will keep the light from coming on the dash.

Rear brakes have no electronic sensor.

Picture of OEM pads for reference:

pukahead

Electronic sensors are part of the front pads, well a single pad actually. If you want to retain that function you must buy pads that have the electronic pigtail hanging out of one pad. It is not transferable from old to new pads. If you don't care about that functionality you can just cut the pigtail off the old brake pad, twist the 2 wires together, tape it up, and plug it back in. This will keep the light from coming on the dash.

Rear brakes have no electronic sensor.

Thanks!

pukahead

From what I've seen, the RockAuto the StopTech Streets (F&R) show as $68.58.
The StopTech Sports are ~$107, as of 10/21/18.

Haven't been on here for a long while. Shopping for pads, as I heard brake squeal today, and my left rear shows some wear sensor scratches.
Kinda surprised it's on the rear, so will have to check for debris. Especially since it's a 2012 GTI with <15k on it. Car is a stock Autobahn.

Anyway, it got me to looking at replacing front and rear pads with better stuff. Just wondering about the electronic wear sensors. Only familiar with plain old metal scraper sensors. Are these electronic sensors part of the pads? Fronts only? Are they transferable to new pads? Hoping someone can give me a quick lesson on these.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Being new to VWs and Euro cars, I'm still learning their quirks. That said, I pulled my left, rear caliper and, haha, no wear sensors of any kind. No sign of anything touching, so must have been some debris. Pad and rotor have a lot of life left, so re-lubed the pad ears, gave the rotor a light sanding, cleaned and reinstalled everything. Road tested and re-bedded the pads.
At least this had me research some options, for when pads and rotors really need to be changed. FWIW, I was gonna go with Centric rotors and StopTech Street pads. And, I ordered a set of triple square sockets and caliper piston spreader. So, new tools, at least!