GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Riceburner goes from MK7 to MK6 K04...

Phur

Autocross Champion
Hells yeah! I definitely agree with the off the car wheel detail.

Hopefully I will get another job soon and actually have days off again. I barely have time to wash the bugs off and keep the oil changed these days. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Thanks, it's needed man haha.

I can scrub 99% of the wheel every wash - i use a detail brush for the outerface, nooks and crannies, then manage to get a wash mitt into the wheel barrel and work it around the inner face of the barrel and behind the spokes, and most of the caliper. But taking them off is necessary to do the wheel wells fully, and then why not claybar and apply some sealant to the wheels why they are off? :)

The amount of dust, tar, and grime under the car is amazing. I wish i had more access to a lift then i could have really done some work under there. Sliding around under the car is not fun or easy for crap like this

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Yeah but you guys are booked man haha. I don't wanna waste lift time so I can scrub my undercarriage with a toothbrush lol

Last edited:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Im sort of shocked living in midwest that there isnt more undercarriage services/shops.....

what car wash soap do you use? im using rainx spot free.....and it still spots. ALOT. do not recommend

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I use a mix.

Ammo nyc 'boost' which helps loosen up road salt before touching
Mixed with Chemical guys snowfoam for the prerinse/foam
Then in the bucket chemical guys glossworkz sometimes mixed with their citrus wash.

Honestly I've tried a lot of different soaps. Most actual car shampoos do the job well. it all comes down to proper sudsing and lubrication. Too much of either will decrease the efficacy of the wash itself - too much foam and it's not actually cleaning the paint. Too much lubrication and your mitt isn't pulling anything off the paint and makes it harder to rinse. I try to find ones that do both well and having some carnauba in them helps for whatever it's worth even though it all needs to rinse off anyway. Having the bucket stay sudsy through the whole wash is important, as well as the soap not drying or unsudsing (allowing dirt to resettle) before you've rinsed the car

No such thing as a spotfree dry without the following:
If your car is coated and you can blow all the water off, do so.
Use a damp microfiber with a detail spray (I use ammo hydrate) for maximum lubrication to mop up any remaining water.
Proper rinsing techniques also help dry it. If your car is coated or at least sealed nicely, most water will sheet off if you use the water sheeting rinse technique (YouTube it)

Spot free drying does not work due to deposits in our water.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Traded for an integrated engineering intake. Hope it sounds fun can't wait to drive it tomorrow!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Tried out a leather wheel wrap. Like this setup better. Love how alacantara looks but didn't like the look of fake alacantara or the feel. The stripe was too much as well

Hey man! Love the interior. Saw it on the burn all the mk6 facebook group. I'm curious where you got the Custom GTI floor mats as well as what you did on the carbon fiber strips on the door panels that now have the red line in it. Thanks and great build!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I appreciate it sir/ma'am!

The floor mats are called 'mojo mats'. They are getting really hard to find. Google it and see if anyone still sells them.

The carbon door trim and such is from car-id, made by remin. I got it unused secondhand from someone who got a full interior kit and luckily wasn't going to use the pieces. The door trim pieces are a fat top piece and skinny bottom piece for some reason, which worked out for me wanting to use laser wire to emulate the mk7 door ambient lighting. That didn't go so hot unfortunately so I'm probably going to pull it, as it just doesn't look good. The laser wire is more orange than red and no matter what I did it just isn't in 100% straight and therefore doesn't look oem or clean enough.

Depending what pictures you may have seen, I also just wrapped them in a '5D' carbon wrap before which looked great to me, with red pinstriping along the bottom. Quick, cheap, and easy.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Well guys, as of now the car is pretty well buttoned up and in working order. I think, in attempts to save some more money for a wedding and house and who knows what else, I am going to be trying my best to stop modding for a while.

Still have an eanon radio to install but I'm kind of considering against it as I could use the money.

Also have Theretrofitsource foglights coming in the next few weeks that I can't wait for.

Otherwise, I'm kind of putting off the new control arms and suspension stuff for a few months as she is riding pretty well right now.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Got a wide angle lens add-on for my google pixel 2. :) Testing..

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Also got an anodized oil cap cover from eGay. Fits well and for the price and being almost the only option mis a 120 dollar r8 cap replacement, this does the trick haha. Rice away!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
welp, got some new shit coming lol

passat b6 front control arms
superpro front control arm bushings
034 motorsport upper strut mounts

neuspeed FMIC, and intercooler delete kit, and mishimoto constant tension clamps

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Just got my theretrofitsource fog lights!

Very impressed with the quality of the light itself. Install was eastly as swapping the old fog light assemblies out and replacing. They didn't come with resistors but I couldn't figure out the wiring as it was very unless what needs to go where and how it could all work and be plug and play without splicing wires together. But with testing I saw no flicker... So see what happens I guess?

I put on the supplied yellow lamin-x film as well.

Will provide night shots tonight :)

riceburner

Autocross Champion
yesterday we installed a whole slew of fixes and improvements on my car. this is super exciting and one of my best visits to carson's for work performed fromhim and jay.

General problems and grpes I've had about this car from day one:

* Crappy ebay intercooler fitment obstructing fitment of radiator and AC condensor, making everything slop around and radiator fans eating into upper intake pipe.
* Rough idle, very shaky DSG at takeoff/crawling speeds, clanky downshifts, general loss of smooth crispness characteristics that the DSG is worshipped for
* Rough, shaky ride. Lots of harsh bumps, and everythings translated to interior, which to my best efforts to pad and deaden all rattling culprits of the interior just falls short. Again, build quality was supposed to be one of Volkswagens' best characteristics when people talk about them, and I just am not feeling it.
*Subframe clunks/creaks: When we installed the tyrolsport deadset kit, we had to reinstall the subfram afterwards due to an unforseen issue and had to reuse all of the stretch bolts,so I've had subframe creak for over a year now.

Parts used to address issues:
* Neuspeed FMIC & Stock IC Delete kit
* Torque solutions DSG Dogbone mount
* Koni STR.T Street sport strut package
* Passat B6 Aluminum control arms
* * Install powerflex front control arm bushings and swap powerflex anti-lift kit onto the aluminum control arms
*New subframe hardware and all other bolts being touched pretty much

Jay and Carson excel immensely at knowing these cars in and out, and work very efficiently, knowing all bolt sizes, torque specs, and sequencing required for all jobs. Running into issues caused by other car modifications is clearly part of their forte, as nothing ever seems to really slow them down. For instance, my BSH meth pump bracket turned out to be directly inthe way of the longer FMIC outlet hose; they knew exactly what to do to jerry-rig the pump into a new place perfectly to allow clearance.

RESULTS:

So immediately following the installs i of course had to take her out for a test drive and I was blown away at the results.

The DSG INSTANTLY felt a million times better. No vibration at idle at all. Almost ZERO vibrations crawling and no clunks getting into reverse or first, which I was so used to. Engagements are now buttery smooth, and crisp. I wish I had done this mod the day I got the car, because i thought it was just normal wear and tear at this point, and vibrations were just futile, especially with the O34 mounts all around and HPA Puck insert, and DSG Tune. 10/10 recommend to any DSG car.

Intercooler:
Running the stock IC delete kit completely solved my radiator/condensor fitment issues. Obviously neuspeed is a much better IC than the ebay one (Rev9, godspeed, etc) that I had before.

ONE COMMENT/POSSIBLE ISSUE: Following the FMIC, i now hear a ton more boost noise but very different from the intake noise I'm used to hearing. literally sounds like a whistling jet now, with almost a gusty sound to it. Whistles kind of die off when I let off the gas isntead of sounding like it's all going through the diverter valve. Boost appears to hold strong. Can anyone relate to the noise? I'm guessing the IC not being sandwhiched between the other components is now just allowing me to hear the air passing through the core structure much more?

Aluminum control arms:
~2 lbs lighter, much stiffer than the stamped steel, whats not to like? I already 100% loved the antilift kit, which really helps improve straight line stability, but the new control arm bushings helped alot. You would think stiffer bushings = stiffer (harsher) ride, but like the spherical bushings in the back, i have been proven wrong again. The car feels the road how i want it to now, with none of the shaky car drawbacks i used to deal with.

STR.T Struts:
Never really found any good or bad reviews on these, and was originally planning to go with VWR struts, but those are on backorder, so i went with these.
One of my front struts was leaking a bit, not too bad, the others visually looked OK but I'm at 60000 miles now and lowevered for 10/15k of those. Harsh chicago roads definately take a hard toll on a sporty car. These struts made it ride better than ever, I can confidently say these STR.T's are amazing! I'm not a fan of the orange color on my blue springs but i'm just being a stickler here. The ride feels so amazing now. Really no interior rattles to speak of.

Overall, stuper stoked with everything I did here. No longer considering just 'ending it' with this car, it is 900% better to drive now and would recommend everything i did toanyone.