GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud noise while reversing!!

itzalexbish

Ready to race!
So I've noticed lately most of the time when I'm parallel parking (putting passenger side in) while in reverse I hear a loud ass noise! Sounds like a whistle grinding noise. I could also feeling feel the clutch peddle vibrate a little while it's occuring.

Anyone experience this?

Burntchicken

Ready to race!
6spd or DSG?? If it's 6spd, make sure the lever is all the way in reverse, not "kinda in", happened to me the first time I put mine in reverse, because I was used to my Jetta's smoother shifter (because it was older)

itzalexbish

Ready to race!
i think my clutch is bad...

ampol

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've noticed lately most of the time when I'm parallel parking (putting passenger side in) while in reverse I hear a loud ass noise! Sounds like a whistle grinding noise. I could also feeling feel the clutch peddle vibrate a little while it's occuring.

Anyone experience this?

mine did this couple of times today. i'm going to try to re-produce it and take a video of it. have you gone to the dealer?

jerm

Ready to race!
Congrats for finding the electrical motor in our cars!

:D

Just kidding! Really, every manual car that I've driven has the "whining" noise when going in reverse. That is because of what GuntherVI said, it's the straight-cut reverse gear. To be sure, post a video with sound so we can get the full experience if it's anything other than the straight-cut gear.

potatohead

Ready to race!

Anyone experience this?

Is it as you are trying to put the car into reverse? If so, it's the gear grinding. Reverse doesn't have a synchro, so get used to putting the car in second gear before going into reverse.

m0j0jojo

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have this problem. When I put my car in reverse it makes some grinding noise. Did you happen to find what the problem was?