GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI Making noise and vibrations

hk06

Hello there.

I have gti 2011 model - 32k miles.

I started hearing noise with vibrations from around 1 month. But it has got worse now.

Please see the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjMFzi_xmPk

I have taken it to one dealer. He drove with me at low speed (~35) for about a minute and told me the reason is definitely flat spots on the tire. The threads are really could and could still go another 10k, he said it won't be a problem. I don't have to change. But gave me an estimate of 1000+$ for tires, balancing, mounting and alignment. I'm still skeptical.

Any idea about this from anyone?

Thanks in advance.

btw, going to a second dealer today.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I agree, sounds like either excessive tire wear or bent wheel. If you're still running the stock Dunlops they get VERY noisy once well worn.

Mine made a similar noise when I rotated my tires and the backs were now on the front. Because of our rear camber, once installed on the front the tires were noisy due to the uneven tread wear.

Just my .02

hk06

Thanks @GoodTimesIndeed.
This did start after I rotated at 30k. 3 months back.
Also, I am using stock Pirelli Pzero nero.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Can wheel alignment or balancing have to do anything with this?

Well I suppose a rebalance couldn't hurt but I think the issue is more due to the rear camber causing uneven wear. Since you rotated tires, the new front tire is now tracking the pavement differently then it did when it was on the rear of the car, hence the noise.

It might get a little better once the fronts wear some and the tread evens out a bit. Mine still make this noise but they are worn and will be replaced very soon.

Rotating tires more frequently will help prevent this issue in the future.

hk06

I checked in the VW dealership and turns out not only are the 4 tires needed to be changed, but also the 2 rear wheels are bent and needed to be fixed.

I was thinking about Continental Extreme Contact DWS for the tires. Any idea how good they would be?

Another option I thought is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

I live near the DC area, so in winter (little snow), the temperatures are often in freezing. And heard Michelin mentioned do not provide any good traction in the winter.

Any opinion by anyone?