GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
A LOT! ;)

You should check into the driving school there. I think they use Mazda 3 sedans. Not quite the same but they handle pretty well.

Whats it gonna take to have you allow me drive your car around laguna for 1x 20 min hot session at a track day? :iono: :drool:

id probably also be fine with a driving the parade laps iono .

Probably my favorite track in the USA

GridPizza

My friends and I host a little event we call RaceWars. Its a weekend long thrash that includes Time Trail, Go-Karts, Drag, Car Show, and AutoX. Here are some pictures of my GTI on Dominion for the TT.

Since running Gingerman last month I've added a VWR rear sway bar, and removed the resonator and muffler so I can actually hear the car.
I am getting an underboost code, leaky wastegate, so as soon as I get some garage time I'll weld the wastegate flapper and get those lost PSI's back. Once that's done I should be able to make up some time on the straights. :thumbup:

Bonus on track pictures from Honda Meet:

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Nice laps. It doesn't even look like you're pushing it. There was zero tire squeal. That track looks fun but the walls are pretty close.

BTW: Your car sounds great. Did you use the internal mic on the GoPro?

Palmer is an absurdly fun track... elevation change is incredible. Car did very well, couldn't be happier!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Nice laps. It doesn't even look like you're pushing it. There was zero tire squeal. That track looks fun but the walls are pretty close.

BTW: Your car sounds great. Did you use the internal mic on the GoPro?

I definitely could've been pushing harder, but as you noted there is pretty much 0 run off room anywhere. Lots of blind, late apexes. It'll take a bit more seat time but I can easily see getting down to a 1:50.

That's really the downside of Hoosiers...they don't really squeal at all, which makes it very important to pay attention to what is being communicated through the steering wheel.

That's with the internal mic on the GoPro, the new APR cat back definitely changed a bit since I've been tracking with it but in a good way. Has much more throatiness to it.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Ah, I missed that part. I really need a good set of tires.

You can typically find a gently used set online for $400-$600 and they last pretty much a whole season or close to it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Don't go from crappy tires straight to slicks in my opinion. Slicks handle way differently and can get you in trouble if you're not ready for them. Keep in mind the g forces they add put a big toll on your car/engine. I wouldn't use them personally unless you have an accusump.

A ~200 tw like rs4's are a great compromise

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Don't go from crappy tires straight to slicks in my opinion. Slicks handle way differently and can get you in trouble if you're not ready for them. Keep in mind the g forces they add put a big toll on your car/engine. I wouldn't use them personally unless you have an accusump.
^^^ This. Even going from R Compound DOT Tires to Slicks the setup is totally different, you have to think more about the "heating" of the tire as it greatly affects performance. On the initial drive you can will be impressed and say that there is a big difference but you will not get the most out of Slick Tires unless you change setup to get the most out of them, you can over heat them. You gotta dial out excess caster if you installed caster blocks and they are more sensitive to tire pressure adjustments and sh!tty shocks will litterly kill them. Driving style changes too, slick tires love smaller slip angles, big slip angles you scrub speed. I did the data loggin for C360R Team before they started in the World Challenge Series, they use pirelli slicks.

Bilsteins are probably a better shock to use with slicks than Koni, as they are two way adjustable.

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Palmer is an absurdly fun track... elevation change is incredible. Car did very well, couldn't be happier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5NRWwiLI54&feature=youtu.be

Searching for reviews of Nitto NT01's I came across this track footage video of an e92 M3 at Palmer. Looks like a scary and yet amazing track. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN386N_eP8M

For anyone in the market for R-comps, Discount Tire Direct has a special going on the Nitto NT01's in size 225/45R17. I was able to pick them up for $120ea, which is about $70 off per tire. :eek:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt01/p/40300

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Very tempting, but I think I'll stick with RE-71s or Direzza IIIs for my first set. I'd like something that will be competitive in AutoX but last a few track days too. I was looking at RS-4s but I've heard that they don't work for AutoX.

For anyone in the market for R-comps, Discount Tire Direct has a special going on the Nitto NT01's in size 225/45R17. I was able to pick them up for $120ea, which is about $70 off per tire. :eek:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt01/p/40300

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Very tempting, but I think I'll stick with RE-71s or Direzza IIIs for my first set. I'd like something that will be competitive in AutoX but last a few track days too. I was looking at RS-4s but I've heard that they don't work for AutoX.

I definitely wouldn't recommend R-Comps as a first set of track tires. As far as RS-4 not working for auto-x, I don't think that is accurate. It's not the best in the rain, but it's more than capable for dry auto-x and track days.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Where are you buying them?

jbracingtires dot net is where I bought my lightly used racing tires.

And I don't necessarily agree with some of the cautions listed above based upon my own experience. You put them on and drive them. They don't squeal like a street tire with tread and they take a bit of getting used to but once you drive on a set you won't want to drive your street tires on the track anymore. What a huge upgrade. I bought a used set and I put a number of sessions on them and there was still some left when I took car down for rebuild.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
jbracingtires dot net is where I bought my lightly used racing tires.

And I don't necessarily agree with some of the cautions listed above based upon my own experience. You put them on and drive them. They don't squeal like a street tire with tread and they take a bit of getting used to but once you drive on a set you won't want to drive your street tires on the track anymore. What a huge upgrade. I bought a used set and I put a number of sessions on them and there was still some left when I took car down for rebuild.

I think the cautions are more from a driver development standpoint. Learning to drive on street tires forces you to be smooth and your deficiencies as a driver are more apparent. When a new driver jumps immediately to R-Cps or slicks, they lose out on that development and driving errors can be masked by grip. That's one of the reasons why most HPDE organizations don't allow R-comps or slicks in green run groups.