GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 10-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #127
franco516
FIA GT Champion

Drives: gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by torga View Post
If you order from BFI's website, you have the option to add on the aluminum TOB for like $50 more. As far as I know, they're the only ones who do that.
But yeah, SB Stage 2 is $1200 and I'd had to spend another $100 on the TOB, versus ~$950 for it all from BFI.
Word. a clutch is a clutch, aslong as you break it in properly and dont treat is like shit, itll last you. I bet you the ppl who bitch about certain companies and make bad reviews about clutches dont really know how to drive stick.

If you plan on stage 2 and even going k04 the DKM will be totally fine since its rated for 400+ tq.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #128
torga
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
A K04 will come once the K03 gives out, but I've got no plans for BT - I'm not going full send with this car. Thanks, man.
Major/Notable Mods ||| Engine/Drivetrain: GIAC Stage 2, APR Cast DP, Beluga CBE, BSH mounts, BSH CAI, DG Sigma 6 SSK, Fluidampr Pulley, GFB DV+, Neuspeed charge pipes Suspension: FK Streetline-X coils, H&R rear ARB, Rotiform RSE Exterior/Interior: R20 Euro tails, BFI knob, RCD330+ ||| full mod list
torga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #129
franco516
FIA GT Champion

Franco516 // Tornado Red Big Turbo GTI // Build Thread?

More updates...

Cam bridge mesh screen was lost then found. Need a new cam bridge bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #130
Tony48
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI / K04 / 6MT
IMO pull the rest of the mesh off and just run the cam bridge without the mesh. No sense putting a new one on that will have the same problem. Next time it blows out it could get lodged in an oil passage and cause starvation.

Good work finding the mesh though, lucky it hadn't fallen into the oil pan!
Old 10-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #131
franco516
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
IMO pull the rest of the mesh off and just run the cam bridge without the mesh. No sense putting a new one on that will have the same problem. Next time it blows out it could get lodged in an oil passage and cause starvation.

Good work finding the mesh though, lucky it hadn't fallen into the oil pan!
then the oil going into the VVT wouldnt be filtered risking the cam sprockets.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #132
Tony48
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI / K04 / 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by franco516 View Post
then the oil going into the VVT wouldnt be filtered risking the cam sprockets.
True. My thought is this: If oil pressure can already blow the screen out then what will happen if the screen actually catches debris? More pressure on the screen and it will certainly blow out and let the debris pass anyway.

Mostly I refuse to pay $200+ for a part that hasn't been revised and will fail again.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #133
franco516
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
True. My thought is this: If oil pressure can already blow the screen out then what will happen if the screen actually catches debris? More pressure on the screen and it will certainly blow out and let the debris pass anyway.

Mostly I refuse to pay $200+ for a part that hasn't been revised and will fail again.
V true. Actually i did find some articles online stating that replacing the screen is not necessary. The shop had already installed the new cambridge by that time so i was too late to call it off. ):
Old 10-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #134
franco516
FIA GT Champion

100 miles into the clutch. feels great. super easy to get used to but.... the "chatter" or whatever u call it is pretty loud. at Idle the car is quiet but on deceleration its pretty annoying... maybe the fluidampr should help?

also, no CELs have come on since i did the timing.. so thats a good thing. Cant wait to be able to hit boost.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #135
torga
FIA GT Champion

I love my Fluidampr. I can't comment on it quieting don clutch chatter, but I have stiffer engine/trans mounts and a Dogbone mount, so the car would vibrate a lot when decelerating in gear. The Fluidampr totally fixed that.
Also, when revving high, sometimes I have to look at the tach to make sure I'm not going too high because the engine is amazingly smooth at the top end now. Way more vibrations at the top end when I had the stock pulley.
Major/Notable Mods ||| Engine/Drivetrain: GIAC Stage 2, APR Cast DP, Beluga CBE, BSH mounts, BSH CAI, DG Sigma 6 SSK, Fluidampr Pulley, GFB DV+, Neuspeed charge pipes Suspension: FK Streetline-X coils, H&R rear ARB, Rotiform RSE Exterior/Interior: R20 Euro tails, BFI knob, RCD330+ ||| full mod list
Old 10-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #136
franco516
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
I love my Fluidampr. I can't comment on it quieting don clutch chatter, but I have stiffer engine/trans mounts and a Dogbone mount, so the car would vibrate a lot when decelerating in gear. The Fluidampr totally fixed that.
Also, when revving high, sometimes I have to look at the tach to make sure I'm not going too high because the engine is amazingly smooth at the top end now. Way more vibrations at the top end when I had the stock pulley.
I want one.. they seem over priced tho.

Also, looking through ur build thread, im stealing that shim/shifter idea
Old 10-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #137
torga
FIA GT Champion

I got a weird deal on it that I'm convinced was a price error, but no one said anything, so \_(ツ)_/
Picked it up new for $220 from USP.
The shim does help a bit! And for how easy it is to do, it's a no-brainer.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #138
franco516
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
I got a weird deal on it that I'm convinced was a price error, but no one said anything, so \_(ツ)_/
Picked it up new for $220 from USP.
The shim does help a bit! And for how easy it is to do, it's a no-brainer.
yeah wtf, thats cheap.
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #139
franco516
FIA GT Champion

Franco516 // Tornado Red Big Turbo GTI // Build Thread?

300 miles into this new clutch (BFI Stg3) and it feels great. Even from day 1 the clutch didnt feel annoyingly heavy, got used to it after 2hrs of driving it and now its even better.
Competion clutch recommends 300 miles break in for their ceramic clutches but ill give it 400 just in case. Besides that, idle chatter and decel buzz is deff a thing.. specially with all the upgraded mounts.

Also, no CELs since the timing was done so i feel pretty confident once I hit 400miles Ill be able to rip on it again. cant wait.

Heres is an autumn pic

I use tapatalk and it used to allow me to post full quality pics but now it doesnt, wants me to pay for the service. Does anyone know how to upload higher quality pics?

Last edited by franco516; Today at 12:32 PM.
franco516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big turbo, franco516, tornado red