GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Every 10,000 mile oil change?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I thought we just determined that obsessive-compulsive oil changes was actually doing more damage?

If you read your manual it states clearly (as do ALL owners manuals) that the 10k oil change is for "normal" conditions. Normal conditions do NOT include stop and go traffic, hot weather, and dusty conditions. I would argue that aggressive driving would be not be considered 'normal' by basic definition.

I am not sure how fresh oil and a clean filter causes damage either, except to the wallet.

Heroic_Kaizer

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh my...and here I am listening to the computer saying 15,000km. I hit 15,1xx km before changing...put in 5L of Motul X-Cess 5w40. Have to say engine is more responsive.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Oh my...and here I am listening to the computer saying 15,000km. I hit 15,1xx km before changing...put in 5L of Motul X-Cess 5w40. Have to say engine is more responsive.

Has anyone done a dyno run before and after changing the oil to see if there's a real difference? I wonder if there's placebo effect in play here.

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
Has anyone done a dyno run before and after changing the oil to see if there's a real difference? I wonder if there's placebo effect in play here.
It wouldn't be placebo effect. Most likely you mean the logical fallacy of confirmation bias. He know's he's had an oil change, so no one is fooling him in this regard.

Confirmation bias is when you predict beforehand that an action (oil change) may have an effect, and therefore you "feel" the result of the oil change to confirm your beforehand thought/desire.

It's more complicated than my simple explanation, and probably no one cares about the difference except me, so I'll shut up now. :eek:

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
It's more complicated than my simple explanation, and probably no one cares about the difference except me, so I'll shut up now. :eek:

Is it true that no one really cares, or is that just what you expected ex ante? :rolleyes:

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
Is it true that no one really cares, or is that just what you expected ex ante? :rolleyes:
Actually, I did sort of expect that ex ante. Given that this is a forum to discuss the MKVI Golf/GTI, I thought it wise to apologize/show embarrasment for straying into logical fallacies, etc.

I know there are a lot of well educated people here. Just knew I was straying off topic.

Just reining myself in a bit is all!:)

Excel_GTI

Ready to race!
Fyi bmw and vw maintainence is not 'free'. Its built into the price of the vehicle. Notice vw's bumper to bumper warranty decreased from 4/50k to 3/36 to compensate for carefree programs.
I work for mb and the bi turbo or supercharged amg all have 10k intervals on the motors. Follow your maint book and you should be fine.

zanyrsc

Ready to race!
2006-2008 warranty was 4/50k- bumper to bumper 5/60k power train .2009-2012 free maintenance now have 3/36- power train 5/60k

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
What I'm seeing here seems to apply to people running mostly stock...

What about guys like me with all the APR goodies/ko4? Still 10k miles?
I drive spiritedly quite a bit... I am interested in getting an oil analysis done, how does one go about doing such a thing? Through the dealer?

I've had the stuff in sig since 1k miles, did first oil change at 10k.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
What I'm seeing here seems to apply to people running mostly stock...

What about guys like me with all the APR goodies/ko4? Still 10k miles?
I drive spiritedly quite a bit... I am interested in getting an oil analysis done, how does one go about doing such a thing? Through the dealer?

I've had the stuff in sig since 1k miles, did first oil change at 10k.

visit http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

LET'S CLEAR THINGS UP! It's either 10k miles or 1 YEAR. Whichever comes first. I will be prolly put 8k miles on the oil in my one year.... And that's fine with me cos a full 10k on dealer's lowest bid bulk syn oil still does not sit well with me...(even though its 502 approved)

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
LET'S CLEAR THINGS UP! It's either 10k miles or 1 YEAR. Whichever comes first. I will be prolly put 8k miles on the oil in my one year.... And that's fine with me cos a full 10k on dealer's lowest bid bulk syn oil still does not sit well with me...(even though its 502 approved)

I don't argue that manufacturer specified intervals should be fine for a motor running at manufacturer specified output, however my motor is running ~100hp over its designed output. With that comes increased blowby, higher EGT, etc.
I question whether or not the prescribed interval is enough for a car thats gone beyond a simple flash.

I guess I will find out when I get back from deployment and take a sample during my next change :iono: