GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle Response Issue *Resolved*

Phur

Autocross Champion
I’m wondering if this procedure might improve my wife’s mk5 2.5 Jetta’s behavior. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well it's been a week cars still driving like a champ. I am still going to replace my pedal as I got a new one pretty cheap. Of course VW has a special tool to remove the pedal. You can do it with 2 skinny screwdrivers but it seems 9 times out of 10 the pedal clips break with the screwdriver method. I didn't have skinny screwdrivers so for 20 bucks I just bought the tool.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
WW, another good one, do you have links to the Instructions as well as to purchase the $20 Tool.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Fantastic! This Post has everything Symptoms, Resolution as well as part numbers and Instructions.

Moderators, this Post should be made a sticky, coz it can help everyone, not just VW Guys, but Audi and prolly the Porsche Guys as well.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Third day driving with this fix, and while I didn't have a bad experience beforehand, it is a noticeable improvement after doing the fix. Rev matching seems to have better throttle response, but most importantly, off the line has been much improved.

torga

Autocross Champion
Third day driving with this fix, and while I didn't have a bad experience beforehand, it is a noticeable improvement after doing the fix. Rev matching seems to have better throttle response, but most importantly, off the line has been much improved.

That was the BIG one for me. Before, it felt like the clutch actuation point moved while I let the clutch out. I'd say I'd get a smooth start about half the time. Now it's basically 100% unless it's my fault.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Just wanted to update. I have had to do this proceedure again a couple times now as my throttle issues came back. When the issue returns it is not gradually, it comes back suddenly. I get in the car start it up take off and I know immediately the issue is back. I turn off the car redo the procedure and it is good to go. So there is something causing the issue in the first place. Luckily I had ordered a new pedal when this first happened which I just got and installed yesterday. I did not have to reset anything and this has been the best the car has felt since I bought it so hopefully the issue lies in the pedal/sensor. If not the only other option is a short in the harness or an issue with the ECU in which case I am screwed. But so far replacing the pedal has yielded tremendous results.

torga

Autocross Champion
How much does a new pedal unit generally run? Was it relatively simple to replace?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
How much does a new pedal unit generally run? Was it relatively simple to replace?

They run about $200 normally but I got one off ebay for $50 from Latvia.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173333078392

I've bought stuff from these guys before and have always had good luck with them. Just takes a while to get the part.

It's easy with the special VW tool but without it would be a pain and you'll likely just break the pedal clips. Even with the tool it took some work. All in all took me 15 minutes to replace the pedal.

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
curious Wascally - has your throttle issue come back since replacing the pedal?

Just wanted to update. I have had to do this proceedure again a couple times now as my throttle issues came back. When the issue returns it is not gradually, it comes back suddenly. I get in the car start it up take off and I know immediately the issue is back. I turn off the car redo the procedure and it is good to go. So there is something causing the issue in the first place. Luckily I had ordered a new pedal when this first happened which I just got and installed yesterday. I did not have to reset anything and this has been the best the car has felt since I bought it so hopefully the issue lies in the pedal/sensor. If not the only other option is a short in the harness or an issue with the ECU in which case I am screwed. But so far replacing the pedal has yielded tremendous results.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
No it's still good. But I was dealing with a couple different issues so there is still a rev issue that comes up but that is from the intake.
??? Explain

IE Stage2 has the delays that VW put in removed, and increase the torque limit to % pedal travel; it response right away and revs alot quicker with torque; part of the reason my Son hates the SRI is he trys to match with the gas to engage smoothly and some times revs and over-come the friction point, has even stalled it trying to be gently with throttle application. I think it is the Tuners way to compensate for the short intake runners, coz Stage1 doesn't have the same characteristics.

Question, if you simultaneously gas and come off and engage the clutch quickly with a slight slight pause to match and continue to apply the gas, does the engine buck and rev up with a mind of it's own as you describe before? I drive it this way with no problems.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
??? Explain

IE Stage2 has the delays that VW put in removed, and increase the torque limit to % pedal travel; it response right away and revs alot quicker with torque; part of the reason my Son hates the SRI is he trys to match with the gas to engage smoothly and some times revs and over-come the friction point, has even stalled it trying to be gently with throttle application. I think it is the Tuners way to compensate for the short intake runners, coz Stage1 doesn't have the same characteristics.

Question, if you simultaneously gas and come off and engage the clutch quickly with a slight slight pause to match and continue to apply the gas, does the engine buck and rev up with a mind of it's own as you describe before? I drive it this way with no problems.

I should have specified the intake meaning the air intake not intake manifold. I get an initial rev to 1500 rpm sometimes when if first apply the gas. Basically the second you hit the gas pedal it revs up. Before it was really bad because that in conjunction with the throttle made the car brutal to drive. The old pedal was at full throttle at like a half inch from the top. It was an on-off switch. The new pedal is not like that. I can gradually give it gas until a little beyond halfway to be at full throttle. My car has always revved up with the exception of when I had the UPS intake which was really long so I assume it is from the intake. That is why I lengthened the intake tube and it did help.