GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TheGTIChannel's Candy White (Mk6) GTI Journal

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
This is my 2012 Candy White GTI. Base 6MT with convenience package and sunroof (not that we have any other option here in Georgia).

For your convenience, I will keep an updated list of modifications as well as an updated picture of the car as of now.

Performance Mods:
-APR Stage 2 Tune w/ 4-mode EMCS
-APR Stage 2 Carbonio Intake
-APR TBE
-Stop Tech Big Brake Kit (in front)
-Euro-spec shortshifter
-Clutch Masters Stage 3
-AWE Boost Gauge and Tap

Drivetrain/Suspension/Wheels:
-APR Rear Sway Bar
-SPM Front Sway Bar
-H&R Coilovers
-Whiteline Anti-Lift kit
-BFI Torque Arm Insert
-TSW 18" Nurburgrings (painted satin black) w/ Michelin PSS Tires

Lighting:
-Foglights used as DRL (using VAGCOM) and bulbs replaced by LEDs (96 'hyperflux' LED's H8 lights)
-6000k HID Headlights
-"R" Dark led tail-lights

"Cosmetic" Mods:
-Aspherical mirrors from ECS Tuning
-25% Tint
-APR Fender Stripes
-Black side-view mirrors+Antenna
-Custom APR Badge (front grill)
-RB Styling Front emblem
-Black on white rear VW emblem
-Black front reflectors + color-matched rear reflectors
-Rear Wiper Delete
-Keffer Front Lip
-Euro Headlight Switch

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 2011- Nothing like a good road companion
I have hardwired a Valentine V1 radar detector. It had done a great job before and saved me a lot of $$ so far.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 2011- Lighting
Messed around with a few different options but ended up sticking with running H8 LEDs in the fogs as DRL, and 6000k Headlights

November 2011- Garmin Hardwaire
I hardwired a basic Garmin GPS device (tapped into the fusebox and used fuse #5, #6 already used for hardwiring my V1). Reliable and inexpensive (~$100) device. It looks like the processors of the entry level devices are now considerably quicker: maps redraw & scroll pretty smoothly.

November 2011- Quick and inexpensive visual upgrades...

GTI doorsill plates bought from China on eBay

Aluminum valve stem caps... a couple of bucks on Amazon

And the GTI key fob!

GTI Aluminum seat inserts
before

after

Aluminum Look Glove Box Handle

Moar APR stuff

Went for another 100hp upgrade with a few APR badges :happyanim:
Inside the cabin, a big bling APR logo:

On the front grille, self-made Stage II+ badge:

Euro Headlight Switch

December 2011- APR TBE + Stage II Tune
Both Installed at the shop, love the sound of the TBE.

Here's some initial feedback regarding the APR turbo-back exhaust and the Stage II ECU re-flash. Power- and torque-wise, it is definitely no longer the same car and to be honest, I would not feel confident driving it without the suspension and brakes upgrades.
At this point I am questioning whether it makes sense to go Stage III and whether a FWD like the GTI would still be fun to drive vs. being overwhelmed by the brute force of the engine... Anyway, I had no plans to go there for now.

The bigger surprise came from the sound of the exhaust. I knew it sounded great from the outside, but, frankly, it is a bit louder than I expected inside the cabin.

December 2011- Time for more low!

H&R Street Performance Coils, APR Rear 28mm Sway Bar, and WALK in place! Brakes are next!

The car was dropped by about 1" (I do not like a slammed look and did not want to rub) and most of my goals have been met. Handling is improved and more accurate, cornering is much flatter and high speed stability is fine. I took the car up to 140mph and it felt perfectly safe. Since a lot of the changes were done at the same time, it is difficult to evaluate the impact of each mod, but the the overall result is satisfactory. The H&R coilovers are not adjustable (except for the height) and are not very firm, but it is a good option for a daily driver. I would definitely go for something firmer to take the car to the track.

Here's also a picture where the 1" drop can be seen a little better. There is 'one finger' left between the tire and the fender.

December 2011- LED Tails
The mod bug has bitten. Put on a set of R tails in dark cherry.

December 2011- Stoptech BBK
With Stage II, I needed more stopping power so I ordered a set of 328mm Stop Tech ST40s with street performance pads.

I was initially only going to install 10mm spacers at the rear wheels to get them flush, but installing the BBK, it was preferable to put spacers at the front too to leave enough room for the calipers. Now all 4 wheels are nicely flush and -fingers crossed-, not the slightest sign of vibration.

February 2011
May 2012- TSW Nurburgrings

Thought it was time for an upgrade and picked up a set of Nurburgrings at Butler Tire, fitted with some PSS rubbers.

Last edited:

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
In the same fashion of small(ish) DYI mods, I went ahead and gave the engine cover some flare with engine enamel from Autozone. For this mod I was inspired by swfloridamk6 (Thanks!).

Soon later I also decided to remove my rear wiper for a "cleaner" look. Down in Georgia, I rarely (if ever) use my rear wiper so I went ahead bought a regular 1" plug at Lowes (To my dismay they did not have any at Home Depot). I followed a guide found on this forum to remove the motor etc. Put in the plug and made it a snug fit using electrical tape. Finally I "sealed" the deal :D with some DAP waterproof sealant.

Overall I've been extremely satisfied with both modifications!

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
Nice!!!!
Well thought out

I like it! Looks good with the black wheels too. :thumbup:

Thank You! I'm currently considering two cosmetic steps:
1. Gloss black roof vinyl.
2. White break calipers and replace the two red stripes in the front by white ones like on xHeartcoreboyx's gorgeous machine.

However neither is going to happen any time soon since the recent purchase of a new set of front PSS tires drained the "GTI budget" for a while. :cry:

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
very clean. nice car

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! Your car is very clean as well, big fan of the dark theme you have going :thumbsup: I'm jealous of your headlights, I just cant justify spending that much money on headlights when it could be going to a K04 upgrade :D

Thanks man. Money already went into a k04 :D