GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Wait what if *****2.0t reached out to APR to get it unmarried?
I'm not exactly on good terms with APR for good reason (on their part). I would love reaching out to them, but there is a 99% chance they will tell me to pound sound even worse than the OP.

The sequence of event by the OP is correct. I sold it fully thinking it could be unmarried. I bought it used, the previous owner had it unmarried. I married it to my ECU. I sold it noting in the for sale thread that the new owner would have to go about figuring out how to get it unmarried. Sean had mentioned in the APR Mobile thread that if you sent it to him he would unmarry them months ago, even saying that some dealers could do it. Now it seems that is not the case.

So basically what we are down to is.... I sold it, and couldnt even use it anymore if I tried since I now have Eurodyne. And the new owner can't use it at all since it's married to my ECU. It really sucks.

You would think that if a potential customer calls and says "I'm looking to get your tune on my car, and I also have a used dongle that I need unmarried so I can use it," that they would be inclined to do it for him. But I don't own a performance business, so maybe they have their reasons.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #16
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
They have stated that they marry the dongle for security purposes. Whether or not you believe that is beside the point. Read on. To play devils advocate, suppose the OP stole that dongle or doesn't have a bill of sale, how could APR confirm that his possession of the dongle is warranted? For APR to grant his wish to unmarry the dongle would open the potential for others to then steal many dongles and sell them. All I'm saying is that, as a policy matter, I can understand why they'd only want the original owner to request the dongle be unmarried.

Perhaps if the original owner and *****2.0t both somehow proved that the OP should be in posession of the dongle and gave their consent to have it unmarried again, APR would be complicit?
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #17
sticksabuser
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
I'm gonna try calling them again. I get the point you're trying to make XGC75, but since when was APR in the security business (other than securing their software from being pirated)?

Bottom line, I would love to be reached out to, and I will reach out myself as well. In the end I am stock and would like to get a stage 1 tune. I was hoping APR since there is a VW dealer near me that deals with them. If they help me out, I have more of a reason to be there customer, and give them my money for product. If not I have less so. Also, I am fully aware that most decisions come from the top, so let me state that I did not intend to harp on either Arin nor Sean in this thread. I understand they work there and have to play by the rules they are given.
sticksabuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #18
Cadubya
“DUBYA” VP COUCH MOD

Drives: 2011 BT VP COUCH MACHINE
I tried to warn everyone in that FS thread. APR specifically said that they couldn't and wouldn't be able to transfer dongles between customers when they first released the dongle. It sounds like they made exceptions for a few APR elite members in typical APR fashion. Us plebeians will have not have such luxuries.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #19
sticksabuser
FIA GT Champion

OK: UPDATE.

So I called again, and talked to one of there cool sales guys (Justin). Here's the deal:

* They DO have a policy of not unpairing these dongles, HOWEVER..
* Given that I am stock, and given that I'm looking to use them for stage 1 ECU software (i.e. new business), they WILL unpair this thing for me! I'm paying shipping both ways, and they are charging $50 to have it unpaired, but they are doing it!

The unpairing process is NOT APR standard policy (yet). Hopefully it will be in the near future so these things don't just turn to worthless junk once the OG owner either sells their car or the dongle itself.

Anyway, thanks Justin for helping out. It is appreciated. My original warning still stands though until they officially clarify and/or change their policy.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:56 AM   #20
xHeartcoreboyx
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '10 CW 2DR GTI DSG
It's odd they are going to do it. I wouldn't announce the dealer name as its strongly against APR policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xHeartcoreboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
Cadubya
“DUBYA” VP COUCH MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
Do they have any plans to make this service available in the future did they say? It really sucks that they did it for some and now won't for others.
Become an APR groupie
Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #22
Cadubya
“DUBYA” VP COUCH MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
They used to un-marry the dongle for a price...I guess not anymore? Kinda dumb we should be able to sell if we wanted. I can't imagine many people would sell their dongle so APR wouldn't losing many sales and still make a few dollars if anybody did want to have theirs un-married.
The brain trust at the APR empire thinks otherwise
Old 07-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #23
sticksabuser
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHeartcoreboyx View Post
It's odd they are going to do it. I wouldn't announce the dealer name as its strongly against APR policy.
I'm not mentioning a dealer because I talked to APR themselves. Just wanted to report back for the community's benefit. Besides, not one told me to keep this hush hush.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #24
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
The brain trust at the APR empire thinks otherwise
It is just because APR is the biggest fuckin gold digging company in the VW game
Old 07-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #25
sean@apr

Drives: Q7 TDI
I didn't see your PM. For some reason, GolfMK6 doesn't email me anymore when people send PMs. Sorry for not seeing it.

Justin is the man. We'll always clear it for $50, but some of the newer sales guys just aren't aware of that. I'll make sure they know.

Glad it's resolved.
sean@apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #26
sean@apr

Drives: Q7 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
gold digging company
I don't work for free. I require enormous quantities of food, booze and smoking substances to maintain my sanity while doing this kind of work.

Would you have me eat ramen, drink keystone and smoke yard clippings?
sean@apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #27
GTIMK6_
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: GTI Wolfsburg '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean@apr View Post
I don't work for free. I require enormous quantities of food, booze and smoking substances to maintain my sanity while doing this kind of work.

Would you have me eat ramen, drink keystone and smoke yard clippings?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vwNcNOTVzY
GTIMK6_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #28
Cadubya
“DUBYA” VP COUCH MOD

Concerning FS used APR dongles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean@apr View Post
I didn't see your PM. For some reason, GolfMK6 doesn't email me anymore when people send PMs. Sorry for not seeing it.

Justin is the man. We'll always clear it for $50, but some of the newer sales guys just aren't aware of that. I'll make sure they know.

Glad it's resolved.

Is this now part of the wording on your website? Is this now the policy, or if I buy one and then 6 months down the line you guys decide change your policy and not to do it anymore or raise the price and then I'm SOL?

Shouldn't this say something about that?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436997761.845678.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  141.8 KB

Tags
apr, bluetooth dongle