GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mann they gave me the wrong oil filter (or did they?)

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
So I was changing my oil today and ordered the same filter i always do (Mann W719/45) and noticed the filter I got was different than the old one I removed. My old one just screwed off and didn't have the screw part extending out of the bottom like the new one. I'm kinda confused on whether or not if the part of the filter that screws in broke off the old filter or if they incorrectly labeled the new filter. See attached pics. Sorry I know this is kind of a dumb question but I'm really confused here.

Attachments

• 20160130_143819.jpg
    20160130_143819.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 373
  • 20160130_143843.jpg
    20160130_143843.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 20160130_143858.jpg
    20160130_143858.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 396

nevekd128

Ready to race!
your old filter is broken homie
thats what it looks like to me
oil filter holder should look like this

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Your new filter is correct, the fitting came out of the old filter, that piece should have cam out with the filter.

The reason you dumped oil over when you removed the filter is because that piece came out of the filter. When it stays in as it unscrews from the filter housing it opens a path inside the engine to allow the oil to drain down instead of spill out.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Your filter is the right one. That screw part from the filter is still in your car & needs to be removed so your new filter can be screwed back on.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Happened to me too and I was like WTF but then I screwed the old filter back on top of the part that stayed behind and it came off completely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i used channelock pliers or you could use vise grips. it's not like you need to reuse it. just clamp down on the threads and twist it off. and make sure you don't overtighten the new one when putting it on to prevent it from coming apart again.

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Ok, Also is it possible to change the filter with the oil level full? I would imagine you could since its at the top of the engine. I just don't want to make a big mess and have oil spewing out everywhere

Pooley

Ready to race!
Same thing happened to me once. Easy way to know when it happens is oil spilling out as you unscrew the filter. The piece that came off the filter is an anti drain back valve, so without it the filter dumps its contents as it gets unscrewed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk