GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water Pump

2.06thgen

Ready to race!
I need to replace the water pump on my car the DIY says one part is a two man job it's just me... I might have to take it to a shop how much have you guys paid to get this repair done.

zrickety

The Fixer
Unless you know a really good shop, you should DIY. It's not a 2 man job by any stretch of the imagination. Just be sure to use new o-rings and have clean mating surfaces. The bolts are only 6 ft-lbs and it can be done in an afternoon.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Two man job......NOPE, not necessary (the other person will be watching mostly)
DIY in less than 2hrs with the right tools.

2.06thgen

Ready to race!
Thank you guys I guess I just needed the reassurance I guess I just feel nervous about it because I have never done a water pump on this car

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Thank you guys I guess I just needed the reassurance I guess I just feel nervous about it because I have never done a water pump on this car

It's a lot easier than other water pumps I have replaced (Hondas/Acuras). It doesn't hurt to jot down what you took off so you will remember to re-install/connect it. As this point, I can replace the water pump within an hour (from start to finish)...without breaking anything. LOL :bellyroll:

Is this with removing the intake manifold or just down under working semi blind? This weekend I'll be on this water pump mission

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Is this with removing the intake manifold or just down under working semi blind? This weekend I'll be on this water pump mission

I remove the intake manifold for clearance. Some people (e.g. VW) may think it's not necessary but I don't like to HALF-ASS my work.

Thanks! Will just take my time removing the IM. I do not have a vacuum installer for coolant... the regular old school way should work fine eh? Just as long as I get car the temp before driving and topping off?

zrickety

The Fixer
I left the manifold on... it still took forever but it doesn't leak.