GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake bleed/flush access to rear nipple

pertzborn99

Passed Driver's Ed
I was doing a brake flush on my 2012 GTI, and I got the pressure bleeder hooked up and got it up to around 10psi, and when I went to the rear brake nipple I literally had no room to attach the wrench (i ordered the ECS bleeding kit) and finally I was able to attach it, but zero room to turn it! One problem to another, the seal must not have been tight enough on the master cylinder (even though me and my friend checked several times) and it was leaking through to the bottom on my garage floor, I am very close to to just saying f*** it and sending it to a mechanic (I swore when I got this car I wouldn't do that[emoji20]) I have looked up many posts of people explaining how to do it. And few videos of people doing it, and out of the few videos of people doing it no one films the rear one becuase of the position. And as far as I can tell no one else has any problem with access to that nipple, any suggestions?

Sorry I have no photos

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

No room to turn the nipple? You're kidding, right? Are you not using a box wrench??

pertzborn99

Passed Driver's Ed

No room to turn the nipple? You're kidding, right? Are you not using a box wrench??

And the space you see in the top left portion of the brake photo looks like an opening with enough room to stick the wrench in and turn it but it is blocked by the suspension components (I just took this photo through the wheel so i couldn't get the whole thing)

nickp1

Ready to race!
I just did this today. I used a short normal wrench. I tried using that stupid wrench that ECS provides in their kit and could not produce enough torque to break the nut loose.

Get a wrench that is 4 inches long or so it will fit.