GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear main seal Question !

11gti718

Ready to race!
Greetings, i'll be attempting to install a diy rsr clutch on my 2011 gti. Currently have 37k miles on it. I've read some posts where people recommend replacing the rear main seal since the transmission is off. Now, my question is. How many people have actually replaced their seals ? I'm confused as im hearing theres a tool needed to install the new seal ? Also, i noticed theres apparently this new upgraded seal ? https://deutscheautoparts.com/vw-audi-20t-tsi-upgraded-rear-main-seal-06h103171f.html

Anyone has used it yet ?
Any input is highly appreciated. thank you !!

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
You can put it on without the tool, but you can fuck it up.

The tool is plastic and is like 8 bux. I use it everytime.

JS12

Ready to race!
I purchased one with my clutch but the shop recommended that I just let them inspect the existing one and only replace if it was leaking, which it was not. They claimed that most failures that they saw were caused by another issue like a PCV failure. I took them at their word and have been fine so far.

11gti718

Ready to race!
You can put it on without the tool, but you can fuck it up.

The tool is plastic and is like 8 bux. I use it everytime.

I purchased one with my clutch but the shop recommended that I just let them inspect the existing one and only replace if it was leaking, which it was not. They claimed that most failures that they saw were caused by another issue like a PCV failure. I took them at their word and have been fine so far.

Thank you guys. I'm still on the fence on whether to replace it or not. But just in case. Would you share a link to the tool ? I'm trying to look for it with no success. Thanks.

mfractal

Ready to race!
Get the iAbed Industries one. No tool needed to install, the rms is reusable (just replace the inner spring loaded seal, it's like 10 bucks), and it'll never ever leak.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mfractal

Ready to race!
Duh, I didn't open your link before posting, lol. It's the same one ??

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Is this a widespread problem? I watched that video a while ago and the guy says they fail a lot, but unlike other issues I haven't seen a big thread dedicated to it.

I know my engine has a leak or two somewhere, but it's only losing a quart every 10k miles so it's really hard to care enough to do anything about it.

zrickety

The Fixer
I don't think it's a common problem, although PCV issues would definitely aggravate it. OP being at 37k, I wouldn't touch it.

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Common problem.

I've gotten fwd transmissions down to something I can do in my sleep we have them out so much.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Bump!

My RMS has failed. I don't have any codes, rough idle, etc. Should I be replacing the PCV just in case?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Bump!

My RMS has failed. I don't have any codes, rough idle, etc. Should I be replacing the PCV just in case?

If i were you, yes. Failing RMS's are not common as people say. Their failure is usually linked to a failing/bad PCV.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
It causes an oil leak that can become pretty severe. So maybe not consumption, exactly, but yes, a loss.

Pooley

Ready to race!
You'd notice a RMS failure since it would be losing oil to the ground from where the engine and transmission meet. You may have some oil seepage from a bad PCV but if it actually blew out it would be leaving oil behind and that area under the engine would be noticeably oily. A full failure would also trigger engine codes since the pressure inside the crank case would be exiting at the location of the seal. If you're losing oil and the area where the engine and trans meet is dry then it's not the RMS causing the loss.