GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

87 Octane okay to use?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If you on the stock tune you're OK. The valves get dirty is a fact, you're going to wind up spending money on intake valve cleaning at some point anyway, weather you use '87 or '91 or '93 Octane fuel, so why not save some money.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
If you on the stock tune you're OK. The valves get dirty is a fact, you're going to wind up spending money on intake valve cleaning at some point anyway, weather you use '87 or '91 or '93 Octane fuel, so why not save some money.
because more detonation potential. Id rather spend the extra ~$10 a fill up and not have to worry about the potential of octane related knock/detonation.

man you guys really like to pinch pennies. The gas cap even tells you MINIMUM 91 Octane but some of yall are like "nah doesnt mean anything mate just do whatcha want and live ya life".

Uberryan

Banned
because more detonation potential. Id rather spend the extra ~$10 a fill up and not have to worry about the potential of octane related knock/detonation.

man you guys really like to pinch pennies. The gas cap even tells you MINIMUM 91 Octane but some of yall are like "nah doesnt mean anything mate just do whatcha want and live ya life".

Let'em do their thing.

I just don't wanna see any bullshit later on about "Why is my car misfiring?" or "Why is my car running rough or not as good as before?" after prolonged use of 87.

Like I said, you can use it, knock sensor will prevent the motor from over compensating and destroying itself. Saving $2-3 at every fill up isn't going to justify the cost of carbon clean outs every other year.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Full tank of 93 for me is only around $30. In Texas It's $2 a gallon

I wish the fuel here in the UK was that sort of price! Granted the lowest RON available here is 95 but even that at the moment is between £1.23 and £1.40 (A LITRE) NOT gallon!, it costs me as much as £70 GBP ($96 US) to fill up , as for using a lower than recommended RON, I would think it was not a great idea!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I wish the fuel here in the UK was that sort of price! Granted the lowest RON available here is 95 but even that at the moment is between £1.23 and £1.40 (A LITRE) NOT gallon!, it costs me as much as £70 GBP ($96 US) to fill up , as for using a lower than recommended RON, I would think it was not a great idea!
We pennie pinching Canadians are right behind you! You're lucky that your lowest octane is 95 nothing to worry about.

I do use 91 but TSI can run on 87 octane, the majority of American and Canadians use the cheapest gas, its human nature to want to pay the least, they don't know any better. When you fill up, just glance over and see what other VW owners put in their cars. VW knows this and takes this into account when they tuned the ECU to support 87 and 91 or greater octane. If you're TUNED you pay the Piper.

I can see both sides, last month when I'm home on Hilton Head, I pay $2.60/gallon, as soon as I get back to Toronto the price jumps to $4.90/gallon (Price based on 3.785 litre US Gallon).

When gas prices start rising again, remember what was said.

Last edited:

herrerafavian2

Ugh you guys suck! Just filled up for the weekend, Chevron premium only of course. But here in Northern California it's 3.89 a gallon, and even the cheap 87 crap from Arco is 3.39 a gallon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Makes a slight difference (4 whp peak, up to 10 lbs/ft at certain RPMs) as tested on a dyno.

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/...en-gti-the-effect-of-octane-on-its-power.html

You'll probably lose some mpg though due to decreased ignition timing, as others have mentioned.
Thanks, I knew there was an article I had seen.

BTW If you switch between different octanes drive a few miles to get fresh gas to the injectors, turning off/on two more times resets the fuel trim settings stored in the ECU.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The sticker inside my filler cap states to use 95RON minimum, my engine is a CCZB (UK), would this suggest it has a more powerful (base) tune straight from the factory compared with NAR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
It's called cost of ownership. I feel like a jerk saying "if you can't afford 91/93, don't buy a car that requires it", but that's really the case. Not only does VW require 91+, it requires 91+ Top Tier fuel. https://www.toptiergas.com

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Yep... just pd $72(USD $56) to fill up with Premium. Thats about 15$ more than this time last yr. $70/barrel is stinging... least im not in BC where i have to decide if Im eating or driving today

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The sticker inside my filler cap states to use 95RON minimum, my engine is a CCZB (UK), would this suggest it has a more powerful (base) tune straight from the factory compared with NAR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sticker on my GTI's gas door. Looks like the minimum is 91 octane.