GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL + quieter exhaust? Ideas?

Phur

Autocross Champion
I’m on Tapatalk so searching is pretty pointless. It seems to be running smooth, just oddly quiet. I’m at 66k. Exhaust is stock and unmolested. Ideas? It seems too early to be the cat. I’m working 7 days a week on nights plus college full time. It makes it difficult to get anything looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’m on Tapatalk so searching is pretty pointless. It seems to be running smooth, just oddly quiet. I’m at 66k. Exhaust is stock and unmolested. Ideas? It seems too early to be the cat. I’m working 7 days a week on nights plus college full time. It makes it difficult to get anything looked at.

Presuming you still have it connected, could the soundaktor have stopped working??

It would have nothing to do with the CEL though and would need to be scanned.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You need to scan the car to find out the code(s) for the CEL, that's the first step

Outside of doing that, it's all just a guessing game

Phur

Autocross Champion
With my schedule, getting into town when places are open is a struggle putting it mildly. However, it seems that my car was possibly just being a bitch. The CEL was on... I washed it... no more CEL and all seems fine. [emoji849] what-the-fuck-ever. Thanks for the replies, though.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Id say its def worth it to invest in a code reader. Almost essential for these cars IMO. At bare minimum you could get a cheap Bluetooth obd2 reader for $10-20 and use a free phone app. That will take care of the basic OBD2 engine faults but won't read any of the VAG specific module codes. OBDEleven Pro was like $60 when I got it and that can pretty much do everything VCDS can now from your phone. (android only though)