GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock boost pressure?

eherma

Hello all,

I am brand new to the forum but I've had multiple GTIs! I bought my current 2013 manual with 34,000 from a VW dealership! The car as I can tell is stock EXCEPT for a Carbonio intake that was already on it from the dealership.

I put in a New South analog boost gauge for S&G and discovered the car spikes at 17PSI and will hold steady at 15PSI.. which is higher than anticipated, especially with others claiming their stock is 10-12..?

Ideas?

eherma

Hmmm.. that seems strange, especially since the car came with a bumper to bumper warranty for 6 years or up to 105,000 miles. Is there a way to confirm the tune, or should I call the dealership and ask?

medolave

This isn't my curve, but it's a good example of why I think you may be tuned.

Given the intake installed, my first guess would be that it's an APR tune. Give them a call and tell them your VIN. They'll be able to tell you if it's their tune.

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Deffinitely tuned :D

Give a call to APR and send them your VIN. I'd confirm with the Dealer on the warranty to, things can get messy.

Or you just enjoy the tune and if something goes wrong blame the dealer for not telling you about the tune

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!

Give a call to APR and send them your VIN. I'd confirm with the Dealer on the warranty to, things can get messy.

Or you just enjoy the tune and if something goes wrong blame the dealer for not telling you about the tune

This ^

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
stock is 8-10psi stage one is typically 15-18psi and stage 2 is typically 20-22psi

eherma

Ok I really need some advice here. I called APR and they said my car has previously ran stage 2 software, I know that I cannot use the set button to change settings because I have tried.

I was told that if I go to an APR location, for $150 they can give me access to stage 2 software(of course with me getting a down pipe assuming mine is stock).

On the other hand, my car was purchased with a bumper to bumper warranty AND my clutch is beginning to slip at top heavy load(I've only felt it once) and that'll be around $2,300-$3,000 depending on the flywheel condition. I don't drive aggressively, I don't do hard accelerations from stop, so I know the clutch is not from my driving habits.

Do I tell the VW dealership? Do I tell them the car is / has been tuned? Do I bargain for them to fix my clutch? Or do I say screw it all and get access to the software..?

This was not a decision I thought I'd ever have to make. Lollll.

eherma

HELP!!!!!

UMMM OK. I just discovered I have access to the files on the ECU, AND I stuck my phone under my car and got a picture of the downpipe and it says APR!!

I seriously don't even know what to think right now.. What do I do? On one hand I have a stage II tuned car with intake and a downpipe, plus its under a bumper to bumper warranty from VW. But the clutch began slipping ONLY in top gear / load at mid - low rpms.

What do I do?!

Do I tell the VW dealership? Do I tell them the car is / has been tuned? Do I bargain for them to fix my clutch? Or do I say screw it all and get access to the software..?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
UMMM OK. I just discovered I have access to the files on the ECU, AND I stuck my phone under my car and got a picture of the downpipe and it says APR!!

I seriously don't even know what to think right now.. What do I do? On one hand I have a stage II tuned car with intake and a downpipe, plus its under a bumper to bumper warranty from VW. But the clutch began slipping ONLY in top gear / load at mid - low rpms.

What do I do?!

If you bought the car from them you could try taking it back and being like the clutch its slipping and just act like you dont know about the tune/mods. If they say anything you can make a fuss about them selling you a modded car and stuff and maybe they will cave and get you a new clutch lol.

Or just go out and buy a upgraded clutch which will hold the power and call it a day.

eherma

If you bought the car from them you could try taking it back and being like the clutch its slipping and just act like you dont know about the tune/mods. If they say anything you can make a fuss about them selling you a modded car and stuff and maybe they will cave and get you a new clutch lol.

Or just go out and buy a upgraded clutch which will hold the power and call it a day.

Well, I already brought it in to have them look at it and it's close to $3,000 for the clutch. This isn't covered under warranty because it's seen as wear and tear such as brake pads.

If they discover the tune they'll swipe it I am guessing, so I'd lose that but could possibly save 3,000 on a new clutch..

I don't know what to do. I bought the car to have something reliable.. but I'm not complaining about a stage 2 tune with the DP, which again the car has a bumper to bumper warranty.. so if anything did happen at that point I could play that card.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
$3k for a clutch is crazy. They'd be making so much money off you. I would look for an indie shop you can trust...fuck the dealership.

fradooooo

Passed Driver's Ed
I’d haggle with dealer especially if you’re getting a warranty from them. They will not cover anything if the car has been tampered with. I bought mined as a CPO with an extended warranty and got a bunch of things covered under it, they definitely would have given me a hard time if the car was modified. Also it’s surprising that during the inspection of the vehicle they didn’t notice the aftermarket components. Also you don’t want to get a stock clutch replacement if you’re stage 2, it’s just going to start slipping again. But then there’s also the possibility that the VW dealer is also a APR dealer and they offer warranty on APR parts/tunes which would be awesome in your case. Basically I’d be upfront with dealer before anymore time passes and they assume you did modifications right after taking delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk