GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changed gear

Cynthia

Hey how bad is it if I was driving on the drive gear going 20km/h about to make a turn then accidentally put it into neutral when I was going up hill and the car was rolling down and I didn’t know about it and I kept accelerating wondering why it’s going down hill only to realise it was put on neutral so I braked a bit but don’t think I fully stopped the car then i put it back into drive and I heard jerking revving noise after I put it back to drive from neutral and accelerated. How badly of a damage would it have on the transmission?

Uberryan

Banned
I assume you've got a DSG. That said, your biggest issue would be changing gears from neutral to drive while rolling backwards. Although, I don't foresee any lasting effects other than what you heard and felt, it'd be in your best interests to baby the transmission for a few days and note any unusual behavior.

I seriously doubt you hurt anything, as it's not like you threw it into reverse on accident, and loads of people have done the accidental "D to N" mistake while in the higher RPM band and no issues as a result. Just keep an eye on it, but you're probably fine.