any progress on rev hang elimination?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Just watching it makes me angry.......

AdamC

Ready to race!

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand this. I don't drive or shift any differently in this car than any other manual I've owned. Not trying to blow this up, just want to understand, because this has never occurred to me as something to be annoyed about.

I'm with you, I certainly noticed this occuring early on in my ownership of the car, but I really don't see it as an issue, it's usually still "hanging when I engage in the higher gear and I never have a problem. I think we just shift more smmoothly than all of these other fools :happyanim:

RHCPCraze

Ready to race!
I hate the rev hang. Its extremely annoying, especially in stop and go traffic. Our rev hang is different from the Genesis. Instead of the revs sticking at 3k and coming down super slow, it feels like they stall at whatever rpm you let go off the throttle. I would be willing to pay to get the rev hang eliminated, anyone else with me? Perhaps if there are enough of us, we can convince one of the tuning companies to look into it. I would drop $300 in a heartbeat if my car can always feel like it feels in the morning.

jball12

Ready to race!
I'm with you, I certainly noticed this occuring early on in my ownership of the car, but I really don't see it as an issue, it's usually still "hanging when I engage in the higher gear and I never have a problem. I think we just shift more smmoothly than all of these other fools :happyanim:

Hahah, good enough for me!:thumbup:

allset

Go Kart Champion
as stated a lighter SMF to replace the heavier oem DMF will reduce rev hang between shifts in MT. But this has potential side effects, SMF changes the harmonics and some ppl have gotten odd noises, humming and shudder. Also changes the feel of the shift and in some cases the ability to smoothly engage/disengage gears, aslo missed gears/shifts.

You may get some, none or all. no way to tell. Clutch kits are finely tuned for specific applications and specs; changing all or parts is a roll of the dice usually.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Another indication that this is mechanical and related to the flywheel is the fact that enabling the A/C seems to fix it. This indicates that the additional drag that the A/C compressor puts on the motor provides the same resistance that the motor has when it is cold.

As a side note, a properly designed lightweight flywheel shouldn't hurt the drivability of the vehicle. It will be different but you will get used to it. If you are getting shudders or difficulty driving it is driver error.

DubbinDurim

Ready to race!
I too can not stand the rev hang in this car, going from 1st to 2nd I see my passenger getting whip lash and it irritates me.

I have driven the same gti except with an aftermarket flywheel and I can say it totally eliminated the rev hang. The shifts were very smooth and fast.

I can not wait to replace my clutch with a stage 2 dxd

jerm

Ready to race!
I hate this as well. With the A/C on, it's always predictable. I guess it's the unpredictability of this that is terrible with A/C off, even though I can almost get close to figuring it out every time.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
Yup rev hangs a bitch.

The genesis coupe 2.0t uses the same manual gear box/clutch as the 3.8, Its a matter of a small 2.0L not having enough mechanical resistance to slow the revs and stop the rev hang. not emissions control
Same with VW Dual mass, I highly doubt its electronic. Prove me wrong! I would be shocked.
Yes it may improve emission's and mpg (more coasting uses less gas) but the cause is the Heavy dual mass flywheel not electronic Uncle Sam.

I dont care how bad my clutch chatter is when i do my clutch, I need MOAR feed back and the single mass FW should fix my rev hang issues.
As you all know vw's clutch feel is so mushy its disgusting.

getfast

Ready to race!
But as mentioned, there is very little rev hang after a cold start, which rules out the flywheel. The OEM flywheel is heavy and those that have moved to lighter ones have reported quicker response, but I think the ridiculous rev hang is due to something in the tune

I somewhat understand the dual-mass-flywheel-as-cause concept but in my car it seems to be intermittent like this as well. Which is why I don't understand how it could be flywheel related (or entirely flywheel related) either. It would do it all the time or none of the time, no?

The rev hang is kinda annoying and it certainly makes heel-toe/rev-matching interesting... I'd like to get rid of it, but I'm not spending the money to put a light flywheel in a brand new car. :confused:

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
Well I just spent 1500 on what I hope is a fantastic clutch, once it is installed I could make a video of the rev hang or lack of it with the new single mass steal fly wheel.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
If these cars are drive by wire, it is 100% the ecu. Honda's do it also but its easily removed with standard ecu flashes like Hondata: "'Rev hang' is where the engine speed continues to rise even after the throttle is released while shifting. It also can be felt while driving slowly, where the vehicle surges forward after the throttle is released. The reflash reduces the 'rev hang' effect to a minimum."
"- Does it fix the rev hang?
Yes. The rev hang is the result of the injectors continuing to provide fuel for a period of time after the throttle is closed. This time is reduced by the calibrations provided with the FlashPro and the revs drop much sooner after throttle liftoff."

Toyota's also. My X-Runner does it and I hated it. It can best be described as when youre off throttle and press the clutch to shift, the revs just stick like you suck at driving and are still pressing the throttle.

I dont know if it's for emissions or to help manual noobs drive it/ avoid shock to the drivetrain or what but for anyone that's driven manual cars before this was implemented, it IS FRUSTRATING AS HELL and ruins the shifting experience especially when driving aggressively.

This is discouraging to hear that no simple tune has been developed to remove this 'feature' for VW's. I know that no aftermarket support will match Honda's but damn, discouraging.

Last edited: