GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fiesta ST beats BRZ around track

Brap

I like the ST too........I've had a soft spot for Fiesta's ever since I went to rally school. It may be a bit too small, but it will be worth a test drive for sure. Maybe the fun factor will out weigh everthing else.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
The Top Gear results aren't that impressive for the Fiesta ST (Power Lap, Stig driving).

- Fiesta ST: 1:32.7 (RE050A, dry)
- GT86: 1:31.3 (Prius tires, partly wet)

Despite what Evo wants you to believe, the Fiesta ST isn't going to outrun the Toyobaru on the track without its tire advantage.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
. For it to not only hold it's own upon initial debut, but one up the "revitalization" of the budget RWD sports coupé is quite hilarious.

Why is this hilarious?

A lighter subcompact with less of a drivetrain lose due to FWD. I dislike this notion people hold that the FT86 clones should be slaughtering every FWD sports compact on the street & the track.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The Top Gear results aren't that impressive for the Fiesta ST (Power Lap, Stig driving).

- Fiesta ST: 1:32.7 (RE050A, dry)
- GT86: 1:31.3 (Prius tires, partly wet)

Despite what Evo wants you to believe, the Fiesta ST isn't going to outrun the Toyobaru on the track without its tire advantage.

Evo's latest comparo with ST, 208 GTI, Mini JCW and Clio RS have the ST came out on top also. Where as TG's result had the ST sandwiched between 208 and the Clio.

Different track/driver/day can affect the result as much. Also notable is that TG is a standing start lap....FWD launch vs RWD launch can play into it as well...

Toyobaru is not slow, its not fast by any stretch for its price, but it isn't any meanful amount slower than other cars in its price range outside of something like a Camaro or a Mustang V6...in a straight line. And they are plenty quick enough on a track despite the Prius tire...

Again though, complaining the BRZ/FRS being slow from a GTI owner is funny since we are also saddled with a tad underpower for the price and shit stock tires.....

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Evo's latest comparo with ST, 208 GTI, Mini JCW and Clio RS have the ST came out on top also. Where as TG's result had the ST sandwiched between 208 and the Clio.

Different track/driver/day can affect the result as much. Also notable is that TG is a standing start lap....FWD launch vs RWD launch can play into it as well...

Toyobaru is not slow, its not fast by any stretch for its price, but it isn't any meanful amount slower than other cars in its price range outside of something like a Camaro or a Mustang V6...in a straight line. And they are plenty quick enough on a track despite the Prius tire...

Again though, complaining the BRZ/FRS being slow from a GTI owner is funny since we are also saddled with a tad underpower for the price and shit stock tires.....

Pretty much agree with everything you said. Track/driver/day will make a difference, as will tires. And once you equalize tires, the Toyobaru runs roughly where you would expect at the track, which is neck-and-neck with the S2000 and RX-8. Not slow, but not fast.

The BRZ/FR-S reminds me a lot of the S2000 in that it's not the fastest car on track days, but it's light/fun, will teach you about power oversteer, and is fairly reliable. If all you care about is having the fastest track car for the least amount of money, there are better options out there like the Mustang V6 (under $24k w/PP). It's more muscle car than sports car, but will outrun the S2000/RX-8/Toyobaru at the track.