GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I would think the only way you risk blowing a head gasket is if the drive pressure is crazy. And I have never read anywhere where the any turbo setup on the TSI has crazy drive pressure. Heat would be the only real enemy.
I'm talking about risking a valve hitting a piston

kern417

Go Kart Champion
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Only way to know for sure is to test it. I'm hoping worst case scenario it starts 'misfiring' like the k04 gli guys and we turn it back down. Would I be risking blowing the head/long block?

I hate you. How's the build coming along?

i think if you increase boost slowly, logging dyno pulls will show symptoms before you go high enough to damage anything. it'll show misfires and fluctuating boost.

We don't know the end answer to that yet, but we're not limited on the turbo side of things. I've listened to the market for many years now and as such, we're going into the MK7 looking to cover everything you guys have asked for.

that's good to hear. if the s3 doesn't make it here maybe modding an a3 won't be the end of the world.

So at this years BBQ, you all will be showing of the MK7 development items won't you. LOL

if you go again this year i really need to ride with you. i'm still mad i missed last years.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
So at this years BBQ, you all will be showing of the MK7 development items won't you. LOL

I hope we can show some of it off. I'm reluctant to do so before it's ready because I don't want to give anyone any ideas. However, without software, I suppose another kit would be pointless anyways.

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
I hope we can show some of it off. I'm reluctant to do so before it's ready because I don't want to give anyone any ideas. However, without software, I suppose another kit would be pointless anyways.

You should have a head and turbo from a gen 1 tsi and gen 3 tsi side by side at the BBQ for comparison sakes. hint hint

Last edited:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
we need to troll a golfmk7 forum member and bait 'em into taking their motor apart for our curiousity's sake

"No it's the exact same thing as ours. Same motor as a Focus ST even ...oh yeah? PROVE IT."

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
we need to troll a golfmk7 forum member and bait 'em into taking their motor apart for our curiousity's sake

"No it's the exact same thing as ours. Same motor as a Focus ST even ...oh yeah? PROVE IT."

Oh the 18 year old with mommy/daddy's financed MK7 GTI.... too easy.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure someone that has a different style manifold will not see this problem. Boost doesn't really cause the valve float. I know this. I'm hoping you're not taking what I'm saying wrong. Just the extra back pressure from increased boost on t25 and log manifolds are what I'm curious about.

Fueling comes into play because to create the extra boost on these turbos you need fuel. And the TSI platform right now doesn't have the capacity.

Im still not understanding your reasoning. The first paragraph makes it sounds like you understand the problem but fuel still has nothing to do with it. The tsi has plenty of fuel for the k04 but can valvefloat, a gt3071(t25) on race gas at 25psi is borderline out of fuel but doesnt valve float. I highly doubt anyone with an aftermarket manifold and turbo will experience this, has anyone yet?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Fuel limits how much boost we can run. More boost means more back pressure and a higher chance of valve float. He's saying since most bt guys don't have the fuel to run high boost they haven't had issues with valve float. What's in question here is the ATP manifold because it is the most restrictive aftermarket manifold which means it's the most likely to cause problems.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Fuel limits how much boost we can run. More boost means more back pressure and a higher chance of valve float. He's saying since most bt guys don't have the fuel to run high boost they haven't had issues with valve float. What's in question here is the ATP manifold because it is the most restrictive aftermarket manifold which means it's the most likely to cause problems.

Yes but you would probably never get to that point even if you had the fueling. Keep in mind its not just a set psi this happens, you would have to overcome the flow of the larger manifold/turbo.

If it happens at 20-25psi on a tiny ko4/manifold just to use a generic number you would probably be talking like 40+ psi on an aftermarket turbo/manifold if at all.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion

Those turbos they use with it aren't the biggest though but I get your point. They don't have a 3071 kit right?

Status
Not open for further replies.