GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I can see the future:

herbiedriver

Ready to race!
I can see it, yes I can... In the next couple of months we are going to see some serious deals on used TDI's, it might be time to consider adding a Sportwagen TDI to my collection. Hmmmm.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I can see it, yes I can... In the next couple of months we are going to see some serious deals on used TDI's, it might be time to consider adding a Sportwagen TDI to my collection. Hmmmm.

I was thinking the same exact thing. Going to hold off a bit on getting a daily, might be able to pick up a mk6 tdi for really cheap in a few months.

Vroomer

Banned
Why? Your average TDI owner probably doesn't care about emissions, I don't see any reason why people would start selling them off cheap.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Why? Your average TDI owner probably doesn't care about emissions, I don't see any reason why people would start selling them off cheap.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion

My wife was livid because she was going to trade her 2013 Jetta TDI in next year. She's worried that the already horrible resale value is going to be even more horrible when it is time to trade.

I told her to look on the bright side. VW will probably have to shell out some coin because the TDI won't perform as advertised once they fall under the EPA guidelines. Maybe they will do like Dodge and offer to buy her car back. Regardless, I told her it is too soon to worry about resale value.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
I love how VW is getting higher fines than GM or Toyota ever has. And their cars actually killed people. Good job America, nice priorities.

herbiedriver

Ready to race!
I work with 4 TDI owners, all of them are pissed and want VW to buy their car back. They bought it under the premise of it being a 'Clean Diesel' and are feeling betrayed, and of course the resale value is their main concern now.

I kind of feel for them, they paid a premium for those cars and now their green friends aren't being friendly anymore.

Vroomer

Banned
really? I notice an almost cult following of environmental jerks who buy them for the environment saving qualities. Just like the prius fags

Most people that I know with a TDI here got one because of gas milage, not low emissions. :iono:

Regardless, I think most TDI owners will not be selling their relatively new cars and losing thousands on them just because of emissions, there will be a few, but I wouldn't expect a glut of cheap TDIs to start showing up with rock bottom prices any time soon. Unless VW decides to do buy backs anyway.

bebersol

Ready to race!
Most people that I know with a TDI here got one because of gas milage, not low emissions. :iono:

Regardless, I think most TDI owners will not be selling their relatively new cars and losing thousands on them just because of emissions, there will be a few, but I wouldn't expect a glut of cheap TDIs to start showing up with rock bottom prices any time soon. Unless VW decides to do buy backs anyway.

In the past the average diesel buyer bought that car for the long haul 100K+.
I have a friend with a mk-3 Bora Diesel with almost 300K on it and it still gets close to 40MPG.

There's also the possibility that a market develops for non-dpf diesels after the initial fear washes over and and the non traditional diesel owners bail, because non-dpf diesels will have better performance and gas mileage.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion

And when the mileage drops after the fix?

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Meh, I had an MKIV TDI for many years and emissions weren't a consideration. The 17/22 turbo, 520PP nozzles, 12mm pump, straight through exhaust, and accompanying software certainly spit out its fair share of diesel smoke at full tilt. Got an easy 50mpg on the highway though. I like diesels because of torque and fuel economy, and lots and lots of other people do too.

If they suddenly get cheaper on the second hand market, that'll just leave more to those that really want them.

--Matt

Last edited: