GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels weight/ options

JSWhaler

Ready to race!
Come spring I plan on changing out my wheels for 17" with good summer rubber. I'm a spirited driver and will do a handful of auto x events. On weekends I do some spirited back road driving. I've started looking at wheels but am seeking advice/ info. I'd like to keep the weight to under 18lbs per wheel and less than $300 per wheel. Yes, I know there are other posts on wheels, but I'm looking for info on what I've listed or even another model you'd recommend. Thanks

Enkei rpf1 very lightweight- but have heard mixed reviews on durability in normal street driving

enkei fujin seems to be good all around wheel

OZ Ultraleggera I like but seems to be a common wheel around here.

TR Motorsports FF10 tire rack wheel. I like the looks maybe the best but know little about them.

TR Motorsports MT1. Little known

I also like the VW Goal wheels but have a difficult time finding a set in good condition.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
TR Motorsport is Tire Rack's house brand. No idea who makes them, but if I had to guess I'd say they're probably similar to VMR or Neuspeeds.

But honestly? If these aren't dedicated track wheels, don't sweat the weight all that much. Inexpensive lightweight wheels are less durable for a daily driver, and reducing unsprung weight doesn't make as big a difference in performance on your daily commuting and grocery runs as the internet would have you believe.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
TR Motorsport is Tire Rack's house brand. No idea who makes them, but if I had to guess I'd say they're probably similar to VMR or Neuspeeds.

But honestly? If these aren't dedicated track wheels, don't sweat the weight all that much. Inexpensive lightweight wheels are less durable for a daily driver, and reducing unsprung weight doesn't make as big a difference in performance on your daily commuting and grocery runs as the internet would have you believe.

This. :clap:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I would take a look at neuspeeds.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
VWR(Now Racingline) makes some pretty light wheels at a decent price.9Light as in like 20-22lbs.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Come spring I plan on changing out my wheels for 17" with good summer rubber. I'm a spirited driver and will do a handful of auto x events. On weekends I do some spirited back road driving. I've started looking at wheels but am seeking advice/ info. I'd like to keep the weight to under 18lbs per wheel and less than $300 per wheel. Yes, I know there are other posts on wheels, but I'm looking for info on what I've listed or even another model you'd recommend. Thanks

Enkei rpf1 very lightweight- but have heard mixed reviews on durability in normal street driving

enkei fujin seems to be good all around wheel

OZ Ultraleggera I like but seems to be a common wheel around here.

TR Motorsports FF10 tire rack wheel. I like the looks maybe the best but know little about them.

TR Motorsports MT1. Little known

I also like the VW Goal wheels but have a difficult time finding a set in good condition.

FF10 is one we have sourced (it is late and I can't remember). The MT1 is made for us by Enkei. Sweet wheel actually.

zrickety

The Fixer
Discounttiredirect has some good lightweight options, but I had to research weights from manufacturers like TSW. Last I checked they don't list them on their site.
Edit- may be boycotting them lol.

Last edited:

sauceman101

Ready to race!
I've had Enkei PF01's wrapped in star spec 2s for about two years for my summer driving, (not my primary vehicle) 18.2 pounds a wheel iirc and I believe they're about $305 on tire rack. Solid alternate to RFP1s. Had one re-trued after a cosmetic dent from a NYC pothole two winters ago. Other wise durable and no issues, great looking in bright silver against my United Gray two door, compliments everywhere I go

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I had to research weights from manufacturers like TSW. Last I checked they don't list them on their site.

I know....isn't that weird? :iono:

They had ALL the weights listed before, but now they don't have any info and that's kind of the whole reason for the RF wheels--they're lighter (and "stronger")