GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

smanierre

Autocross Champion
What is the best for 700hp and AWD?

A V6 or V8. But really, even with a built motor and revving out to 8k, the powerband with that much power will be pretty small i'm guessing. You'd probably need a 35xx turbo for that and idk if those would even fit in the stock location. Probably need a sidewinder manifold or something like that.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Well I'll be damned, but a .49 housing is freakin tiny. Thats only available in the 550 right? If so i bet it spools like a k04.

It’s available in both the 550 and 660. I have the 660.

.49 is tiny. The whole turbo is tiny though. It’s smaller than my 2971 with the .64 A/R, especially the turbine. Which is why it’s probably okay. It’s all witchcraft. We’ll see when I get it on.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
An Audi rs7 is perfect for that. Downpipes, heat exchanger, intakes and a tune. Bam. 700awhp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would kill a large number of people, including family for an RS7. It's my dream car.

ksandman

Ready to race!
I would kill a large number of people, including family for an RS7. It's my dream car.

It’s my dream car too. I got to take one on a 300 miles journey to get it tuned for the mods I listed. It ruined my gti and just about every other car for me. It rides like a dream and bucks like a horse on a massive amount of steroids. I smoked a zl1 with it.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It’s my dream car too. I got to take one on a 300 miles journey to get it tuned for the mods I listed. It ruined my gti and just about every other car for me. It rides like a dream and bucks like a horse on a massive amount of steroids. I smoked a zl1 with it.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
What your tuner recommends and that you can provide fueling for.

That and RPM.

I keep seeing people mention 700hp like it's easily attainable. Keep in mind with 2.0L of displacement you're gonna need some serious RPM on any sized turbo to get you to that power level.

Guess what? Our HPFP starts to float before 8k rpms. That mean rail pressure plummets. Literally the last thing you want to happen at the peak of your powerband. You can make up for that with full auxiliary injection, but you've effectively lost half your fueling capacity at the point it starts to float.

The TSI is a great engine, but it's not an easy power maker past about 450whp. If you've got a goal that high, throw an 07k in there, build the head, and rev it to over 8k and make over 700whp. Good luck finding a trans to hold up to that. Short of a DQ500 nothing will hold up, ask U-20t how much he spent on his conversion?

All that being said, suppose you make a 700whp TSI, your powerband is going to flat out suck. Unless you're DSG you're gonna drop out of power on every shift unless it's flat-foot. You're gonna get gapped on the low end by just about anything, sure you'll back-half like hell but is that worth it?

/rant.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
What turbo are you going with? The goal is a car that will be good on the track, Limerock will probably be the main one with Watkins Glen every once in a while. I'll probably just end up with the gen 2 3071 and get it tuned so it's not being pushed to the limits constantly and just see where that puts me.

Turbozentrum EFR 7163. It looks like a big K04. If you want something good for track use stay with the smaller turbos in my opinion. You want something that spools early and has plenty of push under the curve. Also the more you push a turbo the greater the heat, which is our enemy at the track. If you go to a larger turbo to avoid some of the turbo compression heat then you get great top end power but you sacrifice everything else and can end up with great dyno numbers but a car that will be much more difficult to drive fast on a road course.

Pic of motor before it went in the car.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
That and RPM.

I keep seeing people mention 700hp like it's easily attainable. Keep in mind with 2.0L of displacement you're gonna need some serious RPM on any sized turbo to get you to that power level.

Guess what? Our HPFP starts to float before 8k rpms. That mean rail pressure plummets. Literally the last thing you want to happen at the peak of your powerband. You can make up for that with full auxiliary injection, but you've effectively lost half your fueling capacity at the point it starts to float.

The TSI is a great engine, but it's not an easy power maker past about 450whp. If you've got a goal that high, throw an 07k in there, build the head, and rev it to over 8k and make over 700whp. Good luck finding a trans to hold up to that. Short of a DQ500 nothing will hold up, ask U-20t how much he spent on his conversion?

All that being said, suppose you make a 700whp TSI, your powerband is going to flat out suck. Unless you're DSG you're gonna drop out of power on every shift unless it's flat-foot. You're gonna get gapped on the low end by just about anything, sure you'll back-half like hell but is that worth it?

/rant.

This was needed to reset the dreamers here, people throw around numbers like they can be attained. Over time 450HP has become the low standard for these engines with big turbos which is crazy to me; only a few have reached 450-500 and kept the car together and on the road long term. I've faced tons of challenges with tuning and fueling to get to 447 on low boost/low timing/rich(er) AFR. After discovering the necessary hardware to fuel past that level, it all came down to adjusting the tune. I doubt I'll get far over 500HP even with higher boost/timing and leaner AFR or even on an E85 blend tune come Spring.

The car is balanced, on one side it gets up and moves from a dig and on the other side it rips up top and keeps going. I wouldn't want to spool any later. I also wouldn't want to go for higher numbers that would require a different trans than the built up 6-speed Beetle.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
This was needed to reset the dreamers here, people throw around numbers like they can be attained.

:thanks:

Another thing to add... even at KO4 power levels, this car is already plenty fast enough to get you into trouble on the street. My car already flies as it is, I can't imagine another 50-60hp.

People get the idea that they need tons of power to be fun...which is false. You build up a car to what you think is fast, then you get walked by a bolt on RS3 or S550. You get upset, part out the car, sell it then buy something else. It's a vicious cycle. I know I am not the fastest in the straight line, but the fact that I can be faster on a road course then most guys who show up in their fancy $50k-$70k cars is awesome.

Kudos to you guys who put in the time and money to push these cars, but the simplicity of the KO4 is ultimately what had me sold.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
This was needed to reset the dreamers here, people throw around numbers like they can be attained. Over time 450HP has become the low standard for these engines with big turbos which is crazy to me; only a few have reached 450-500 and kept the car together and on the road long term. I've faced tons of challenges with tuning and fueling to get to 447 on low boost/low timing/rich(er) AFR. After discovering the necessary hardware to fuel past that level, it all came down to adjusting the tune. I doubt I'll get far over 500HP even with higher boost/timing and leaner AFR or even on an E85 blend tune come Spring.

The car is balanced, on one side it gets up and moves from a dig and on the other side it rips up top and keeps going. I wouldn't want to spool any later. I also wouldn't want to go for higher numbers that would require a different trans than the built up 6-speed Beetle.

Exactly this. If you’re just making a dyno queen to be insta famous for e-bragging, then have at it, but you’d better have really deep pockets and a whole lot of patience because things really start to go south on these after 450ish like others have said. Even if you make more than that, getting it from the engine through the trans to the ground reliably and consistently will be extremely costly and difficult. You’re pretty much developing and testing one off parts at that point.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
:thanks:

Another thing to add... even at KO4 power levels, this car is already plenty fast enough to get you into trouble on the street. My car already flies as it is, I can't imagine another 50-60hp.

People get the idea that they need tons of power to be fun...which is false. You build up a car to what you think is fast, then you get walked by a bolt on RS3 or S550. You get upset, part out the car, sell it then buy something else. It's a vicious cycle. I know I am not the fastest in the straight line, but the fact that I can be faster on a road course then most guys who show up in their fancy $50k-$70k cars is awesome.

Kudos to you guys who put in the time and money to push these cars, but the simplicity of the KO4 is ultimately what had me sold.

I didn’t build my car for competition. I don’t have anything to prove to anyone. Neither did most people in here. I built it for fun and to show up some more expensive dealer bought sports cars. I win some and I lose some. I never get butthurt about it lol. And yes your road course theory holds water on small tracks, but take it to a high speed track and it’d be a whole lot different. Can’t compare places like COTA, RA and VIR to your local club track. A well setup Miata can take most of us on a small track.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

I thought I was fast with a 100 octane K04 file with DPI meth then I got walked by an APR Stage 3+ Golf R with upgraded low pressure fuel pump. See the second line up at the 1 minute mark. He mis-shifted and still blew past me after that delay.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1RbfXbHIMO1M21jNjZpckVaOTQ/edit?pli=1

That was the point I said I'm going to the next level, then it spiraled way out of control.

Last edited: