GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

Tifore

Ready to race!
I thought I was fast with a 100 octane K04 file with DPI meth then I got walked by an APR Stage 3+ Golf R with upgraded low pressure fuel pump. See the second line up at the 1 minute mark. He mis-shifted and still blew past me after that delay.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1RbfXbHIMO1M21jNjZpckVaOTQ/edit?pli=1

That was the point I said I'm going to the next level, then it spiraled way out of control.

Off topic and beside the point, but how would this race pan out now?

smanierre

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Shit gearing alone from the DQ500 would make it such an unfair race.

I'm not at all familiar with the DQ500, would it go to JR or Ryan?

smanierre

Autocross Champion

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I'm not at all familiar with the DQ500, would it go to JR or Ryan?

It is the 7 speed DSG from the Audi RS3. It is also considered to be VERY strong. Cost of trans must be quite high and ideally you would use both TVS engine and trans tune, they work together. My guess is that just purchase of the trans would be over 10K, add in the cost of installation and the software and you are up around 15K. Hell of a nice upgrade.

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
This may be a dumb question but I figured this is the most knowledgeable place to ask it:

Are most of you big turbo guys still running the stock turbo heat shield? I assume not but I'm curious how you support the stage 2 portion of the intake? Custom bracket that picks up the heat shield mount points to the head?

For context, I'm installing a K04 and want to leave the heat shield off. To manage heat I have a turbo blanket and will heat wrap the downpipe from flange to flex joint.

Thoughts? Don't flame me, I know K04 isn't big turbo, but the question is relevant to you all.

Pic for eye candy:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
This may be a dumb question but I figured this is the most knowledgeable place to ask it:

Are most of you big turbo guys still running the stock turbo heat shield? I assume not but I'm curious how you support the stage 2 portion of the intake? Custom bracket?

For context, I'm installing a K04 and want to leave the heat shield off. To manage heat I have a turbo blanket and will heat wrap the downpipe from flange to flex joint.

Thoughts?

Yes, OEM heat shield. I think everyone anchors their stage 2 pipes off the OEM bracket that’s there.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
anybody that installed a beetle MWS 6sp tranny ever get the gearing indicator mess worked out?

Nope. My understanding is there’s a table in the ecu that would need altering. Nobody wants to put the time in to figure it out. You’d essentially need a beetle MWS 6sp ecu and compare the tables and update accordingly. There’s also the fact that one is Siemens and one is Bosch, so the language/architecture may be too different to translate from one to the other.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
This only affects the gear indicator though and nothing else right?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk