GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soft gas pedal?

phobos78

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else driving a manual has a soft gas pedal. Meaning...there is probably a good half inch to an inch of movement i can do with my foot without having any effect on the engine. Not really use to this, I expect when i push on the gas it should move....

It's really only a minor annoyance, but I was wondering if I should have VW check that next week at my 1000 mile check up. Or, is this something everyone deals with. :iono:

Thanks for the help everyone!

-Matt

phobos78

Haha, clean and simple. Thanks! First time driving a GTI, learning as I go. Guess I just need to slam that gas pedal.

Thanks Super!

allset

Go Kart Champion
turbo lag combined with drive by wire.

allset

Go Kart Champion

phobos78

Yikes, don't think I'm gonna mess with the gas pedal. I'll deal with the lag...just wanted to make sure it was a normal thing. (=

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I haven't noticed ANY dead space in the throttle with my 2012. I can barely nudge the gas and I get a response. Haven't had anything done to it other than Stage 1, which did improve response slightly but even stock I didn't have any issue at all.

kabz

Ready to race!
Mine has no issues, but I like to get my right foot right over the pedal. Seems like that how it was designed. Works really well for me.

Manual mode and traction control OFF!

Keizerjohn

Anyone who says there's no delay, lag or dead-spot in the GTI throttle isn't being honest. And it's not due to DBW. My MX-5 Miata has instantaneous throttle response immediately on tip-in... and it's also DBW.
So yes, there's something with the way VW has mapped the throttle potentiometer and mapped the engine to respond, that is causing what you and I are feeling.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
Anyone who says there's no delay, lag or dead-spot in the GTI throttle isn't being honest. And it's not due to DBW. My MX-5 Miata has instantaneous throttle response immediately on tip-in... and it's also DBW.
So yes, there's something with the way VW has mapped the throttle potentiometer and mapped the engine to respond, that is causing what you and I are feeling.

This. I think those who are saying it isn't present, and come posting online proclaiming that it isn't, need to acknowledge that maybe not all of our cars are exactly the same. I know this may sound silly, being that they were designed with modern computers, but there is a very strong chance the severity of this 'dead zone' differs between us. Whether it just be in our consciousness, our vehicle, or both.

When I was troubleshooting the DIY posted above I threw two codes: Accelerator Pedal position sensors E and F. I haven't logged this to be sure, but my hypothesis is that the computer knows the pedal is moving even when it isn't commanding any throttle input. i.e. it allows a dead zone. I find this interesting to say the least.

Intentionally designed in or not, drastically reducing the dead zone has made my car feel much more natural.

Btw: I want your Miata. I trade you 06 F150, ok? Sweet, thanks :thumbsup:

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah there's a lag. It's the sensor committee deciding that your inputs are within reason before acting on them. :insert long over-expressive sigh here:

On the throttle tip-in problem, turn off the AC and get on the power a bit out of turns and off the line. The car will tighten up some and reduce the 'comfort' setting to make the controls feel more alive.

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
To get the best results, you must shift within the power band, I like to shift between 4-5k rpm's.