GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow Chains

GTI2012

Ready to race!
Some places (like here) require you to carry snow chains and use them on the mountain passes. Does anyone here use snow chains on their GTI? Or cable chains? What sized tires do you have and do the chains clear the fenders and other expensive stuff?
And, of course, what kind of chains are they?

JCS-2.0T

Ready to race!
I think chains are overkill. Studded winters should handle 99% of the worst possible winter conditions.

Mceric01

Ready to race!
What about the fabric "chains" that ECS sells?

Grownman

Ready to race!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
If you run chains on stock 225 tires drive carefully. If you run chains of aftermarket wheels
with lower offset drive even more carefully.

There are reasons Volkswagen only allows the use of chains with 205s on narrow 6.0" rims.

ian dummy

Ready to race!
I know in CA, the fabric snow chains do not meet the DOT requirements. Thus, when they setup the checkpoints, you will not pass.

Edit: Here is the link to ECS: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--VR6_12v/News/ISSE_TextileSnowChains_VW/ES2137176/

Under the product description...

DOT-approved in Colorado.

*DOES NOT* meet the requirements for chains in CA, OR or WA.

WA has changed their laws. Textile snow chains are now approved for use.

Taken from http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/traction.htm:

I can't use regular cable chains because there's not enough clearance in the wheel well. What other approved traction devices can I use?

It is recommended you consult the vehicle owner's manual to see what the manufacturer suggests. The following alternative traction devices are certified by their manufacturer as meeting or exceeding chain requirements in accordance with WAC 204-24-035 and are therefore considered approved for use when "Chains Required" signs are posted:

For passenger cars the following alternative traction device is approved:
Autosock

Hope that helps.

zemmo

Has anyone here used the textile chains? I'm really looking for a solution for my GTI to make it up to the ski resort, when it's snowing. I have used all sorts of studded (no longer reasonable, IMO) and unstudded winter tires, but I'm not in AK anymore, now wintering in NM. Anyone?