GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Service interval for 2013 Golf TDI?

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Hey guys. I am away from home where my 2013 Golf TDI is and am coming home soon and have a few question regarding its service.

Right now its at about 14400 from what I can remember, and I can't remember when I did the 10K service but it might have been a year ago or a little past a year or almost a year, regardless, here are my questions:

1. Should you change the oil every year regardless of mileage? Or should I wait until I hit 20K to change my oil again, even if thats another year from now? (Two years with the same oil)

2. Being that its almost at 15000, I think I need to do some other type of service, like tire rotations etc. What services should I be doing when I get back to it, and would an oil change be part of that? I can only think of tire rotation, as I know that should be every 5000. Thank you very much guys, I am new to the forum!

P.S. I should note that the car HAS been driven several times throughout the year when I do come home and visit and my parents drive it once a month or so (I am a student)

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Oil service every 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Tires should have been rotated at 10K, and every 10K; won't hurt a bit to do them again now if the car has been sitting long; but not overly necessary, just do them at 20K.

Your services are every 10K, and include oil change, tire rotation, brake inspection, etc. Right now the only one I would worry about is the oil change. If you are coming home for good I would suggest doing an oil change now, do your fuel filter at 20K as it should be but skip the 20K oil change and do it at ~ 22,500. Then do your next oil change at 30K to get back on a normal rotation.

Where in Maryland are you? Do you take it to the dealer for your free services, or are you doing them yourself?

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Oil service every 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Tires should have been rotated at 10K, and every 10K; won't hurt a bit to do them again now if the car has been sitting long; but not overly necessary, just do them at 20K.

Your services are every 10K, and include oil change, tire rotation, brake inspection, etc. Right now the only one I would worry about is the oil change. If you are coming home for good I would suggest doing an oil change now, do your fuel filter at 20K as it should be but skip the 20K oil change and do it at ~ 22,500. Then do your next oil change at 30K to get back on a normal rotation.

Where in Maryland are you? Do you take it to the dealer for your free services, or are you doing them yourself?

I'm in Frederick.

Well I take the car to the dealership for free services. They put two stickers in my car, one of them to do service at 15000 or December 2013 but that was to be done on my dollar and I opted not to do anything. They also put a sticker for the complimentary 20K service

Will they do the complimentary 20K service even though I'm at 14400 since its been a year? And would they do everything then or would they only do an oil change? Thanks for your response.

Saabstory

Yes, the service interval is 10K or 1 year, whichever comes first. Just tell them you need a service appointment and that you are 1 year from your last. Since it is your second service they'll be doing your fuel filter as part if it, so don't worry about that.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Yes, the service interval is 10K or 1 year, whichever comes first. Just tell them you need a service appointment and that you are 1 year from your last. Since it is your second service they'll be doing your fuel filter as part if it, so don't worry about that.

Will they do everything else including tire rotation and brake inspection? Also say I did my last service in June, do you think they'll do the service next week? Thank you.

Saabstory

lol you need to ask the dealership, just don't accept it if they tell you that you need a 5K service in between the free ones, it isn't true. :thumbsup:

However, if I had to guess:

If your last service was in June, then they won't do your next one until 20,000 miles or June, whichever you hit first. You aren't at 1 year yet, and you aren't anywhere near 10K miles on the oil yet, so don't worry about it in this case. Just go home, drive the car until June (or 20K) and then take care of it, you'll be fine. You DO NOT need any other services earlier. Tire rotation, fuel filter, etc all come at 20K or 1 year from the last service, so for now you are fine.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
lol you need to ask the dealership, just don't accept it if they tell you that you need a 5K service in between the free ones, it isn't true. :thumbsup:

However, if I had to guess:

If your last service was in June, then they won't do your next one until 20,000 miles or June, whichever you hit first. You aren't at 1 year yet, and you aren't anywhere near 10K miles on the oil yet, so don't worry about it in this case. Just go home, drive the car until June (or 20K) and then take care of it, you'll be fine. You DO NOT need any other services earlier. Tire rotation, fuel filter, etc all come at 20K or 1 year from the last service, so for now you are fine.

Would they perform all those other services regardless though as it would technically be my 20K service?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Would they perform all those other services regardless though as it would technically be my 20K service?

What is your question?

At 20k they will change your cabin air filter, fuel filter, do a tire rotation and change your engine oil+filter.

SFGiants

Ready to race!
Tire rotation every 10k seems too infrequent to me. With the amount of torque this car produces, I personally rotate mine every 5k. While I have summer tires that wear quicker, I still question every 10k even with the stock Contis. Thoughts?

Saabstory

I did every 10K on the stock tires; they gave me ~55,000 miles of perfectly even wear.

I think 10K is fine unless you are running a much softer tire, summer traction, etc. Those I would do every 5K to keep them more evenly worn.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
10k is perfectly fine for tire rotations.