GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Visible Wheel Weights?

Collin16

Just took my 2011 GTI in today to get some new tires. After picking it up I saw the wheel weights were placed very visibly after balancing. Is this a common thing? I see a lot of GTI's with no visible weights and the look amazing. Sorry for the mess but I literally just picked it back up from Discount Tire

https://i.imgur.com/pCSjERo.jpg

Phur

Autocross Champion
Mine too are visible after getting new tires. And I too was less than pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
I notice them all the time. I have Serron wheels so they stand out like a sore thumb.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
As mentioned by brobst already the weights are placed exactly where the balancing machine instructs the fitter to place them! That’s the whole point!

Phur

Autocross Champion
The ones that were originally on my car were black and almost completely unnoticeable. The tire shop replaced them with silver. The barrels of my wheels are gloss black. I get the purpose and necessity of them. If I recall, the weights from the factory were placed further back not front and center.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If I recall, the weights from the factory were placed further back not front and center.

They will be in a different place each time tyres are fitted! Sometimes (but rarely) you won’t need any at all, paint them if it bothers you,

I think you’d be more upset if your wheels looked like mine!

Phur

Autocross Champion
I understand that they will be in a different place. It just seems unnecessary for them to be at such a shallow depth. I’ll see if I can get a pic for you.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I’m not sure, but I think that I may have had some fall off... I will know more next week. I plan on doing a full detail.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I understand that they will be in a different place. It just seems unnecessary for them to be at such a shallow depth. I’ll see if I can get a pic for you.

As I understand it they have to be placed in a precise location either on the inner edge of the rim or on the outer edge of the rim just behind the spoke line as they are in my picture above, not just a certain point around the circumference, your previous weights would have been further in as that’s where they needed to be to balance the wheel/tyre.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’m not sure, but I think that I may have had some fall off... I will know more next week. I plan on doing a full detail.

If you find the remnants of the sticky foam it’s most probably from where weights were previously located when last balanced which would have been removed when new tyres were fitted, not from a thrown weight, not that they don’t come off but unlikely.

gdub09

Ready to race!
The weights go where the balance machine tells you to put em. Nothing you can really do. They belong on the outer part of the rim and the inner behind the spoke. Not much else you can really do.

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
Get some very expensive wheels and tires and with some luck they are already balanced without any weights [emoji108][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk