GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI back at the shop...(long post)

MarkSicks

So I bought my first GTI last December and I love it. But unfortunately I had to take it back to the shop again today for what could be pretty major issues and I'm pretty concerned. Here is a little history

Bought with 58xxx miles 1 owner vw certified

I first had taken to the dealership around 60xxx miles because a fan was spinning at full blast, 100% of the time after start-up. New ECM, no car for a day, covered under warranty, problem solved.

Next time it needed service was for an oil leak around the valve cover @ 62,xxx miles. The valve cover gasket was replaced and problem solved, again warranty covered.

First oil change was done with mobil 1 5w-40, at the same time I changed cabin air filter, air intake filter.

Last week I put on a new fuel filter (mann 6.6 bar) Then just yesterday I changed the oil again, this time with liquimoly 5w-40 leichtauf high tech, and a napa oil filter. This is when things went downhill.....
I started noticing the typically loud head was even louder with more ticking and a new, clicking sound. There also seems to be increased noise around the PCV system/ HPFP area. On a cold start, I noticing what sounds to be a knock as well. As I was driving to the dealership as I would engage the clutch and come to a stop the RPM would seem to hang for a moment before dropping.

I believe the new clicking is the n80 evap purge valve as I saw the Deutsche Auto parts video regarding this and it seemed to be exactly the same symptoms, but the rest of the noise I'm just not sure about. So I told the Techs about absolutely everything I had a concern with. If nothing is wrong I will end up paying a few hundred dollars for the diagnosis of the 5 different issue's I described, but at least I will have peace of mind about the health of the motor.

One thing the gentleman I spoke with said is if that oil doesn't match VW spec it could blow the warranty, however, I believe that is rated to the 502 00 spec required by these vehicles. I would love to hear if anyone has had a similar experience or any input whatsoever regarding the problems I'm having.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
So I bought my first GTI last December and I love it. But unfortunately I had to take it back to the shop again today for what could be pretty major issues and I'm pretty concerned. Here is a little history

Bought with 58xxx miles 1 owner vw certified

I first had taken to the dealership around 60xxx miles because a fan was spinning at full blast, 100% of the time after start-up. New ECM, no car for a day, covered under warranty, problem solved.

Next time it needed service was for an oil leak around the valve cover @ 62,xxx miles. The valve cover gasket was replaced and problem solved, again warranty covered.

First oil change was done with mobil 1 5w-40, at the same time I changed cabin air filter, air intake filter.

Last week I put on a new fuel filter (mann 6.6 bar) Then just yesterday I changed the oil again, this time with liquimoly 5w-40 leichtauf high tech, and a napa oil filter. This is when things went downhill.....
I started noticing the typically loud head was even louder with more ticking and a new, clicking sound. There also seems to be increased noise around the PCV system/ HPFP area. On a cold start, I noticing what sounds to be a knock as well. As I was driving to the dealership as I would engage the clutch and come to a stop the RPM would seem to hang for a moment before dropping.

I believe the new clicking is the n80 evap purge valve as I saw the Deutsche Auto parts video regarding this and it seemed to be exactly the same symptoms, but the rest of the noise I'm just not sure about. So I told the Techs about absolutely everything I had a concern with. If nothing is wrong I will end up paying a few hundred dollars for the diagnosis of the 5 different issue's I described, but at least I will have peace of mind about the health of the motor.

One thing the gentleman I spoke with said is if that oil doesn't match VW spec it could blow the warranty, however, I believe that is rated to the 502 00 spec required by these vehicles. I would love to hear if anyone has had a similar experience or any input whatsoever regarding the problems I'm having.

I use same liquimoly oil and am at 86k miles no issues. No worries on the oil.

It would be very weird that an oil change brought on these issues. Possible thoughts are incorrect oil filter might increase pressure in the crank case causing ur pcv to fail? It's a big stretch. Is there a whistle like sound that goes away when u pull the dip stick out while engine is idle?

If the techs can't find an issue I'd try replacing spark plugs if u haven't yet. It's about time for a carbon cleaning also. If u do get one make sure to swap out intake manifold with revision while they're in there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk