GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Another successful autox event this past sunday. Improved on my time by about 2 seconds from the previous time... I'll take that. Still not a very competitive time but slowly getting better.

I'm learning to really look ahead, it helps, a lot. I missed 1 gate and almost 1 Chicago box because I wasn't looking ahead.

Next weekend is a track day at Thompson speedway. I'll be there for race control but won't be running my car.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
What would you rate these items? From most important to least important for a track day with our Gti's:

LSD
Big brake kit
Bigger, baffled oil pan (oil starvation)
Bigger Radiator (Tyrolsport or the like to combat overheating)
K04

I know K04 should be the last thing lol. But for those of you that track your car... do you tend to overheat easily? or have problems with oil starvation?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
What would you rate these items? From most important to least important for a track day with our Gti's:

LSD
Big brake kit
K04

I know K04 should be the last thing lol. But for those of you that track your car... do you tend to overheat easily? or have problems with oil starvation?

Big brake kit
Radiator
LSD
K04
Skip the baffled oil pan. There really isn't one out there that prevents starvation. If this is a concern get an accusump instead.
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92685

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

LSD
Big brake kit
K04

This is just my opinion, but I tried to include some rationale / experiences.

1. LSD - Being on track with an open diff is insanely frustrating. I cannot overstate how much an LSD changes the car. You need to experience it yourself.

2. Brakes - Honestly, there are plenty of people tracking their GTIs with a good set of rotors/pads/fluids/lines. The key is airflow. Removing the factory dust shields is an absolute must. Install TT-RS cooling ducts as an additional measure. This setup can handle some pretty serious tracking with the right pads.

3. Cooling System - My temps on track range from 200-210° F, and I use Harry's Lap Timer to analyze my temps over the course of each session. My advice would be to look at your G13 coolant mixture ratio. Most people default to 50/50 mix, which is not correct. Depending on climate, we should be somewhere between a 15/85 to 40/60 G13 to water ratio. You want the most water while still achieving frost protection of -20° C. The only way to do this properly is with a refractometer. The correct coolant mixture can effect temps by as much as 15 degrees.

4. Oil Starvation - A friend recently ran into this issue with his mk7 R running 2:10 range on the VIR Full Course (at Nascar Bend), which is an extremely impressive time. We resolved the issue by keeping his oil level at the top of the dipstick range. Always take oil to the track with you, and make sure you're topping off between sessions, if needed.

5. Power - After the things above are addressed, add power if you want (K04, etc)

Last edited:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Put intercooler on that list imo, frustrating pulling on stis/evos on one straight and then not having enough power to keep up with them next time around.

Can confirm i lost 10 whp on a mustang dyno after 1 pull on stock ic

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Put intercooler on that list imo, frustrating pulling on stis/evos on one straight and then not having enough power to keep up with them next time around.

Can confirm i lost 10 whp on a mustang dyno after 1 pull on stock ic

wow yeah, i need one too. BBK first tho lol

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Thank you everyone for the solid advice.

What would you consider too hot for coolant when on the track?

What Radiator would you recommend?

Eowyn89

Hi all, I think this may be my first post with this forum, but I wanted to weigh in on the LSD vs. power upgrade. I added the Peloquin LSD this winter after doing the APR Stage 1 upgrade last spring and I wish I had done them in reverse order. I've run HPDE at Summit Point (WV) and TNiA at Pitt Race (PA) and both times the Stage 1 made me spin tire like crazy on the uphill turns (I would get less wheel spin w/o the Stage 1, but still would get it). I will be going back to Summit Point over Memorial Day weekend so I'll get my first feel on how the LSD performs at the track, but at least when canyon carving the LSD seems to have solved my slippage problem.

Question for the group - is there a point where you stop upgrading your GTI due to the limitations of FWD and F/R weight distribution and consider moving on to something like a Miata? I bought an E91 325xi last year as my "new" daily driver and am amazed at how balanced it is which has got me reconsidering how much I want to keep upgrading the GTI. Thanks!

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Hi all, I think this may be my first post with this forum, but I wanted to weigh in on the LSD vs. power upgrade. I added the Peloquin LSD this winter after doing the APR Stage 1 upgrade last spring and I wish I had done them in reverse order. I've run HPDE at Summit Point (WV) and TNiA at Pitt Race (PA) and both times the Stage 1 made me spin tire like crazy on the uphill turns (I would get less wheel spin w/o the Stage 1, but still would get it). I will be going back to Summit Point over Memorial Day weekend so I'll get my first feel on how the LSD performs at the track, but at least when canyon carving the LSD seems to have solved my slippage problem.

Question for the group - is there a point where you stop upgrading your GTI due to the limitations of FWD and F/R weight distribution and consider moving on to something like a Miata? I bought an E91 325xi last year as my "new" daily driver and am amazed at how balanced it is which has got me reconsidering how much I want to keep upgrading the GTI. Thanks!

lol go look at Jay's build thread. There is NEVER an end to modding. lol