GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LCA & Sway Bar Bushing Wear

MFarq

Looks like I'm ready to replace both my tie rods and sway bar end links as they are getting pretty floppy, and I have a clunk that I think is related to the end links.

Anyway.. while I was under there I had a look at some of the bushings and I am wondering if they are ready for replacement too. I took a photo of the rear bushing on the front lower control arm as well as the front sway bar bushing. It looks like a crack is starting to form on the control arm bushing, and I can't tell if the sway bar bushing looks normal or not as there is a big crease in it. I just wanted to get some opinions on this before I dump some time into it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180404_172223_edited.jpeg
    IMG_20180404_172223_edited.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 1,730
  • IMG_20180404_171946_edited.jpeg
    IMG_20180404_171946_edited.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 514

MFarq

I think I will be shying away from the polyurethane bushings to keep it quiet. I saw a post on the ttrs bushings but I haven't seen anyone else with them. Here is the post: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112049

Do people tend to stick with oem front position front lower control arm bushings if they aren't building a track car? I didn't see any suggestions in the suspension sticky other than for track cars.

MFarq

Can anyone comment on whether its worth replacing the front position front lower control arm bushing with anything other than oe if this is a street car? I am seriously considering pressing in some of those tt-rs bushings from my previous link for the rear position.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Can anyone comment on whether its worth replacing the front position front lower control arm bushing with anything other than oe if this is a street car? I am seriously considering pressing in some of those tt-rs bushings from my previous link for the rear position.

Just last week I had my shop put in SuperPro front position poly bushings and offset rear poly position bushings. My car is definitely a street car and my daily but it does see a few autocross events during the season.

I couldn't be happier with how the SuperPro bushings feel, there is very little difference in terms of NVH. Just because it's poly doesn't mean it's gonna be brutal, durometer matters whether rubber or poly. Since I did them both at the same time I can't specifically comment on just the front position, but if you're in there anyways why not change it out.

I did them at the same time as the TyrolSport collars and the front end feels tight and responsive again. BFI Stage 1 mount kit is next on the list for replacing beat up rubber.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Im totally with you on keeping your bushings rubber dude. I have poly regrets lol.

i have whiteline poly LCA bushings and i just replaced my swaybar bushings with poly and holy fuck man if you dont keep them badboys greased up super good they make your car creak like an old steam ship. And those kind of noises really wear on you after a while and make you feel like you hate your car.

GTIZRX

I have the TTRS solid rubber bushing on my R and I like them. You can tell the difference in the steering especially the harder you push it. I feel more road imperfections through the steering wheel with these bushings so that is something to keep in mind. I installed new B6 Passat aluminum LCA arms at the same time and they came with new front rubber bushings so I went with those.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, I have poly bushings in my control arms and I'm getting ready to go back to rubber; I have a set of S3 bushings on order.

As for the sway bar, I haven't noticed any creaking from the poly bushings. I will say, though, that upgrading the front sway bar has made the biggest difference on my car than anything other than the stage 1 tune.

rawag77

Ready to race!
I've been running SuperPro LCA's for about 50k miles and the only time they make noise is when the temp drops below 50. No regrets at all really.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I get a lot more road noise with poly control arm bushings, but the bushings themselves don't squeak. I just want a little more compliance in my daily driver.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I get a lot more road noise with poly control arm bushings, but the bushings themselves don't squeak. I just want a little more compliance in my daily driver.

What durometer poly are your current bushings? I'd be surprised if there was a lot of difference between 70a poly and 70a rubber for example.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
What durometer poly are your current bushings? I'd be surprised if there was a lot of difference between 70a poly and 70a rubber for example.

They're 80A. OEM rubber bushings generally aren't any harder than 60A, but if I remember right they're 45A.