GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Catch can really just doesn't allow all that extra shit to get burned up in the motor and it looks pretty. Not so great for getting rid of carbon build up.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
What are your normal driving habits? Distance? Speed?

job 1 = 15 min drive, a few miles city then about 3 miles highway then i work almost right next to the off ramp.
job 2 = ~35min drive, same few city miles then 20 miles or so highway, work right next to the off ramp again.

city i usually cruise ~50-60, highway i'm usually ~85mph if traffic allows it. otherwise i just try to keep rpms above 2k and shift around 2.5-3k. i still get ~25mpg combined so i'm satisfied.

girlpowermk6

Passed Driver's Ed
dearler charge me $900 for clean up carbon build up

:mad: two days ago,, when I cold start the car, engine feels rough, then engine light was on, it happened 2 times before, engine only feel rough when lights on, after that run smooth no problem at all, about 3 days later the light went off automatically.
So today I took the car to my mechanic friend have him diagnose for me first, he told me one of the injector misfired. Since I', still under warranty, I brought the car the the dealership in Pasadena, I brought in around 9 am, they told me need about 2hr to diagnose, I told them the problem I found, then they told me still need about 1 hour. I decided come back in the afternoon.

Around 1pm I got call from dealership, told me it's more serious problem, they don't know if its injector or carbon build up, so funny thing happened: they told me if they take apart find out it's injector problem I will be covered, do'n' need to pay anything for them to replace it, BUT, if it's carbon build up, I have to pay $900 for them to clean it! Wow, it's makes me feel I'm driving a Porsche :mad0259:

I took the car back to my mechanic friend, he said they just swapped the couple spark plugs and ignition coils, it's only took them about 10 min to finish what they did to my car, if they dig little deep down, there is injector........

Anyway the light went off again, at least I don't have to worry about it for a while.

I remember I saw it somewhere it says, dealer only have rookies, when they getting more professional they will open own shop. So don't go back to dealer, spend some time find a reliable mechanic close to you.

Last edited:

girlpowermk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Most of time I had chevron, sometimes shell or 76, I did oil change every 5K

:mad: two days ago,, when I cold start the car, engine feels rough, then engine light was on, it happened 2 times before, engine only feel rough when lights on, after that run smooth no problem at all, about 3 days later the light went off automatically.
So today I took the car to my mechanic friend have him diagnose for me first, he told me one of the injector misfired. Since I', still under warranty, I brought the car the the dealership in Pasadena, I brought in around 9 am, they told me need about 2hr to diagnose, I told them the problem I found, then they told me still need about 1 hour. I decided come back in the afternoon.

Around 1pm I got call from dealership, told me it's more serious problem, they don't know if its injector or carbon build up, so funny thing happened: they told me if they take apart find out it's injector problem I will be covered, do'n' need to pay anything for them to replace it, BUT, if it's carbon build up, I have to pay $900 for them to clean it! Wow, it's makes me feel I'm driving a Porsche :mad0259:

I took the car back to my mechanic friend, he said they just swapped the couple spark plugs and ignition coils, it's only took them about 10 min to finish what they did to my car, if they dig little deep down, there is injector........

Anyway the light went off again, at least I don't have to worry about it for a while.

I remember I saw it somewhere it says, dealer only have rookies, when they getting more professional they will open own shop. So don't go back to dealer, spend some time find a reliable mechanic close to you.

Most of time I had chevron, sometimes shell or 76, I did oil change every 5K

kern417

Go Kart Champion
it sounds more like a stuck injector to me. i was quoted $400 for a valve cleaning so $900 sounds very high. but if it's the valves, it would run rough all the time.

girlpowermk6

Passed Driver's Ed
it sounds more like a stuck injector to me. i was quoted $400 for a valve cleaning so $900 sounds very high. but if it's the valves, it would run rough all the time.

My mechanic friend also said 30k it kind early for carbon build up, he's more lean to #2 injector malfunction. I will try go back to dealer again try to get a print out and show it to everybody.

zrickety

The Fixer
I think the catch cans don't work because of the internal EGR these engines use. It's all done with timing overlap, so you still get byproducts stuck in the chamber. I wonder if there is some buildup on the exhaust side too, but no one ever looks.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
if it was on the exhaust side there would be some serious issues. you see it on the intake valves because of the recirculation to the intake manifold.

GP813

Ready to race!
track day = perfect carbon buildup cleaning.

FeX141

Nice thread.
I noticed that on the days I drive WOT for a while, there is more carbon buildup in my exhaust tips than usual.
Seems like evidence that extended heat pushes some of this buildup through the engine.