GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer Reaction / Handling of Stage 2 Cars?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I am still somewhat on the fence of stage 1 vs stage 2, and while I’ve modified cars before and have an understanding of some of the normal problems that can arise from some car makes, as well as how dealers can be, I am not that familiar with VW engines and their dealer network – so what is the general consensus for VW? Do you guys with Stage 2 even go to the dealer for perhaps an oil change or something else? Are they actually “flagging” cars as modified, as I’ve seen a few say on vortex.

Part of me is really close to ordering a dp, but am concerned that if I do that, any issue at all related the drivetrain will be an issue, since they’ll just peg it on that as soon as they lift the car up and see the DP. At least with Stage 1, its hidden for the most part.

Any feedback or thoughts on this, guys? Or do most of you go stage 2 basically just write the warranty/dealer handling off at that point?

Thanks-
John

Bender1

Banned
All depends on the dealer.

I am confident I could take a stage two car to my service advisor point out all the cool shit and have him not say a word/not put anything in the system unless it was obviously related to the modding.

Other dealers wont as much change the oil on one without voiding the warranty.

I know this doesn't help you at all, but the fact of the matter is everything else will all be just what people have experienced. Find someone LOCAL to you and ask who a mod friendly dealer is.

bozaman

Ready to race!
i'm with bender on this as it depends on the dealer, so there's no hard and fast answer.

part of the equation is as much about relationships as it about "facts", i think. yes, you may indeed have a stage 2 set-up and with a dealer that you rarely/barely visit, and with a service advisor you rarely/if-ever work with then you run a risk of being flagged.

i have developed a pretty good working relationship with my dealer, and a certain service advisor in particular. he's seen the slow and steady changes i've been bringing to the car and appreciates the path i'm on as he's an enthusiast as well. other service advisors i've had the chance to work with haven't been nearly as appreciative, and with them i'm far more cautious and will wait/reschedule just to get back with "my guy".

i am definitely going to be ordering a dp/tbe and moving to stage 2 in the very near future which will put me at risk, but i think the relationship i've fostered will be helpful for me if anything should go wrong.

1flymk6gti

Go Kart Champion
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle. This is called the Magunuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Example: Lets say you install a DP. The check engine light comes on... the dealer says the DP is causing your CEL due to the lack of a catalytic converter. They can not fix your car by giving you a OEM DP under the warranty.

Example 2: You install an aftermarket catback exhaust and the vehicle the transmission is grinding going into 2nd gear. The dealer can not void your warranty because you have a CBE on your car. They must prove that your exhaust is causing the grinding into 2nd gear.

Here is a link with alot of information: http://www.xtremediesel.com/magnuson-mosswarrantyact.aspx

I hope this helps. :thumbup:

Bender1

Banned
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle. This is called the Magunuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Example: Lets say you install a DP. The check engine light comes on... the dealer says the DP is causing your CEL due to the lack of a catalytic converter. They can not fix your car by giving you a OEM DP under the warranty.

Example 2: You install an aftermarket catback exhaust and the vehicle the transmission is grinding going into 2nd gear. The dealer can not void your warranty because you have a CBE on your car. They must prove that your exhaust is causing the grinding into 2nd gear.

Here is a link with alot of information: http://www.xtremediesel.com/magnuson-mosswarrantyact.aspx

I hope this helps. :thumbup:

While this is true, have fun in small claims court.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
While this is true, have fun in small claims court.

this is not fun actually lol

while thats the law, its up to you to enforce it, not the dealer. they can deny you all they want, then YOU have to take them to court, YOU have to prove your mod didnt cause the problem, etc. it's better to just ask your dealer beforehand if they are ok with modding. if not, then find one that is, or decide if the mod is really worth the risk.

omerkm11

Ready to race!
I am still somewhat on the fence of stage 1 vs stage 2, and while I’ve modified cars before and have an understanding of some of the normal problems that can arise from some car makes, as well as how dealers can be, I am not that familiar with VW engines and their dealer network – so what is the general consensus for VW? Do you guys with Stage 2 even go to the dealer for perhaps an oil change or something else? Are they actually “flagging” cars as modified, as I’ve seen a few say on vortex.

Part of me is really close to ordering a dp, but am concerned that if I do that, any issue at all related the drivetrain will be an issue, since they’ll just peg it on that as soon as they lift the car up and see the DP. At least with Stage 1, its hidden for the most part.

Any feedback or thoughts on this, guys? Or do most of you go stage 2 basically just write the warranty/dealer handling off at that point?

Thanks-
John

There are quite a few dealers out there that actually sell mods and/or engine flashes. The nice about the VW warranty is that you can buy your car at one dealer and then have it serviced by a different one.

Here you go. This took maybe 2 minutes.

VW/APR Dealer - City Volkswagen - http://www.cityvwchicago.net/

I doubt they will sell you a stage 1 flash, install a downpipe, flash stage 2 and then void your warranty. :w00t:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
where does it say they will do dp's? I know they do flashes ( I hear no longer, actually ) , and Autobarn does in Evanston - so I may have try there.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Called Autobarn - they even service Stage 3 cars the guy told me. I immediately fell in love.... he said they don't deny anything if its not directly related to the mod(s) - which is the way it should be.

I'll post up in my regional forum too.

omerkm11

Ready to race!
Called Autobarn - they even service Stage 3 cars the guy told me. I immediately fell in love.... he said they don't deny anything if its not directly related to the mod(s) - which is the way it should be.

there you go. there is a dealer in PDX, I didnt buy there but they sell APR stuff. I figured that almost every state would have a dealer that was mod friendly. :thumbsup:

Bender1

Banned

Perfect - thats how my guys are and, as you said, its how it should be.

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
My dealer is mod friendly. I went in today to get my Courtesy checkup and the service guy has a modded mk5 GTI. Told him what i was going to get done tomorrow at HS tuning and for the future. He was a cool guy.