GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04, California, and Smog

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Ive got a "neuspeed" setup i think will pass visual

It won't pass visual without CARB sticker. Neuspeed and K&N both have CARB certification but you need a sticker with the number if you want to pass a real visual. Of course they might not check for it but they are supposed to. I have a sticker on mine.

At least get the CARB number from Neuspeed, they might even send you the sticker. If they won't give you the number it is publick information and you can look it up.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
It won't pass visual without CARB sticker. Neuspeed and K&N both have CARB certification but you need a sticker with the number if you want to pass a real visual. Of course they might not check for it but they are supposed to. I have a sticker on mine.

At least get the CARB number from Neuspeed, they might even send you the sticker. If they won't give you the number it is publick information and you can look it up.

Thanks for the input. Have a carb sticker on my current intake :)

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
I'm bumping this thread because i'm considering going k04 and worried about smog two years from now.

My stock k03 has an issue where the top bolt is stuck, years after I had a friend install my first aftermarket DP. Based on the best estimate I can get to fix it, a shop can "tap" out the stud, but they will have to take the turbo out. I'm thinking this might be an opportune time to go k04 since i'm going to pay for them to take the turbo out and put it back on anyway.

Before, I do this, though, I really want to carefully evaluate my options with k04 and of course the issue of passing smog, mainly the visual.

I have a GIAC tune, and I passed smog fine with my stock dp and switching it to stock mode. So i'm not worried about it passing readiness.

If I can get lucky with a smog place that won't be able to tell that I have a different turbo than stock (since k04 is technically stock for other vw/audi models if IIRC), then I should be okay right?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I'm bumping this thread because i'm considering going k04 and worried about smog two years from now.

My stock k03 has an issue where the top bolt is stuck, years after I had a friend install my first aftermarket DP. Based on the best estimate I can get to fix it, a shop can "tap" out the stud, but they will have to take the turbo out. I'm thinking this might be an opportune time to go k04 since i'm going to pay for them to take the turbo out and put it back on anyway.

Before, I do this, though, I really want to carefully evaluate my options with k04 and of course the issue of passing smog, mainly the visual.

I have a GIAC tune, and I passed smog fine with my stock dp and switching it to stock mode. So i'm not worried about it passing readiness.

If I can get lucky with a smog place that won't be able to tell that I have a different turbo than stock (since k04 is technically stock for other vw/audi models if IIRC), then I should be okay right?

Are you the one with the AWE DP on NCVWDC fb page? Only way around it is putting a stock modified CCTA dp for k04 to pass smog. they should also be able to take out the stud without taking the turbo off.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

Is the nut seized on it? Or just old the stud seized? You should be able to remove it with a stud puller tool. If its snapped off I think a right angle drill with the DP removed should have room to enough to drill it out. Also you should be able to pass with a K04 and a OEM downpipe and factory intake and the stock tune or a stage 1 tune that doesn't mess with emissions readiness. From under the hood it will look stock, someone would really have to know what to look for to notice.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

I have passed smog twice now with just what you describe. I make sure readiness is good and stock downpipe is in place. I can't imagine anyone noticing the turbo change.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Are you the one with the AWE DP on NCVWDC fb page? Only way around it is putting a stock modified CCTA dp for k04 to pass smog. they should also be able to take out the stud without taking the turbo off.
Thanks, yes I'm in that group. I deleted that thread because I got the downpipe issue resolved.

I actually read up on this some more from nuisance's thread and I understand now that a modified CCTA DP would be the only way to do it.

But if I can get that bolt out, then I would be fine staying stage 2. The shop however says they have to take the turbo out in order to get the stud out. I'm going to consult with other personal resources of mine who may have the tools and confidence in their ability to do it. In the meantime, I'm compiling any/all suggestions so I can figure out a way to do it without taking out the turbo.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Is the nut seized on it? Or just old the stud seized? You should be able to remove it with a stud puller tool. If its snapped off I think a right angle drill with the DP removed should have room to enough to drill it out. Also you should be able to pass with a K04 and a OEM downpipe and factory intake and the stock tune or a stage 1 tune that doesn't mess with emissions readiness. From under the hood it will look stock, someone would really have to know what to look for to notice.

I've never dealt with this kind of situation before, but what happens to the hole/thread if I drill the stud out? Will I still be able to use the regular stud and nut? I have a brother in law that's mechanic and I believe he has the tools to do it, so I'll consult with him.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I've never dealt with this kind of situation before, but what happens to the hole/thread if I drill the stud out? Will I still be able to use the regular stud and nut? I have a brother in law that's mechanic and I believe he has the tools to do it, so I'll consult with him.

You normally get them out with an easy out screw extractor after soaking it for a while with something like PB Blaster solvent. That way you can preserve the threads.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
You normally get them out with an easy out screw extractor after soaking it for a while with something like PB Blaster solvent. That way you can preserve the threads.

Thank you.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thank you.

Its important to use a proper kit. The drill bits in the kit spin left (unscrew), they come with guides for the bits so it centers your drill bit and then the special extractor the digs into the hole you drill and bites.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!

Its important to use a proper kit. The drill bits in the kit spin left (unscrew), they come with guides for the bits so it centers your drill bit and then the special extractor the digs into the hole you drill and bites.

Still doing my research on this in order to evaluate options. This is the very top bolt that's hard to reach, so do you think it's possible to do take out this stud without taking out the turbo? The shop insists they have to take it out, but I suppose they want to go with what's easier and less time consuming for them.