GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone try the new ECS shift knobs?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
New ECS Shift knobs, available in a few varieties & color choices at an attractive price point of $120.

They look pretty decent and I'll probably give one a shot soon. Anyone try them or have any comments on their design? I like the "boot lock" design.

Construction: Billet aluminum (clear/black/red/blue) with optional suede or air leather wrap
Weight: 265g (versus 95g stock)
Install: 3 set screws, "boot lock"

Pics from the ECS install guide:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    282 KB · Views: 320
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    203.8 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Kinda reminds me of a take in what BFI does.
Although i fell in love with a Raceseng slammer that weighs in around 3x as much as one of these (635g,1.4lbs). Stainless steel as opposed to aluminum. I like the locking ring idea similar to how the stock one was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Cool if you want i can post a pic of my shift knob and bfi leather shift boot. My old shift boot was deteriorating so it needed to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
They do look pretty sharp and I never had the feels to change the OEM shifter knob. I'm in for a review on what you think after install.

Thanks.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
ECS Shift Knob Review

REVIEW:
I got around to installing and have had a few days of driving to get my initial impressions.

Good:

• Machining and anodizing looks/feels very good
  • Locking collar allows for a flawless install of the shift boot. It takes a little finagling but, if you're patient, it will work out. This is what really drove me to purchase this knob and I'm happy to say it worked out well.
  • Larger diameter of the knob feels good in the hand (personal preference)
  • The black knob w/red trim ring matches the interior nicely. It's a subtle upgrade.
  • None of the three set screws are at the 9 o'clock position. This would have been nice because the set screw would go into the vertical groove of the shifter shaft and prevent any rotation. That being said, the knob hasn't rotated on me and I don't anticipate it will unless you purposefully try to rotate it.
  • Install was straight forward using ECS's install guide.
Bad:

• "Air Leather" feels cheap, not supple.
  • Like any billet knob, it gets hot/cold due to weather. Not a big deal and this is why I bought the air leather version.
  • Personal preference: The knob feels a bit too squared off at the top.
At the time of install I also installed DieselGeek's "High Performance VW Shifter Shaft Bushing Kit" and a set of CTS Billet Shifter Mounting Bracket bushings. These, combined with my DieselGeek Sigma 6 short shifter really tighten things up. I still have some weird side-side play at the knob when in gear that I'm working on figuring out but I think I just need to realign the Sigma 6.

All in all a good shift knob and I'm happy with my purchase. I may explore a more rounded shift knob in the future just for fun (I like the look of the Cobb knob but wish it was heavier. Anyone wanna trade? :p).

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I like the side of it with the leather wrapping but not sure I'm digging the extra large numbers... I dunno, I think it's something I would need to see in person to really see if I'd want to change it or not but to be unsure and kinda sorta interested, it's expensive.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
not too big on the design personally, i'd get a BFI over this no question.