GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Question!

Luc2352

Hey guys,

I've got two questions, sorry if I sound like a rookie...I am.

Is it worth picking up a Injen Cold Air Intake for my Golf 2.5? It seems like the lower end choice of the intake options but I live in Canada and options are a bit limited. Looking for a first mod and I'm pretty set on intake.

Second, a guy on Kijiji is looking to sell his Unitronic Intake (UH001-INA) off his 2011 GTI for a much better price but I'm not sure if it would fit my MK6 2.5.

Help?

And Happy New Year y'all :thumbsup:

eyedeas

Ready to race!
GTI will not fit.

My first purchase was an APR Carbonio intake when Black Forest Industries put them on sale. With an intake, you must figure out if you have a secondary air intake, which will require a breather filter(usually $25...).

I love my intake. It increased the red line for my 5spd and opened up a lot of sound. Plus, it adds about 12hp to the higher rpms.

As far as an Injen is concerned....I dont know much about them. I've always been apart of the 'you get what you pay for' committee.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

Is it worth picking up a Injen Cold Air Intake for my Golf 2.5? It seems like the lower end choice of the intake options but I live in Canada and options are a bit limited. Looking for a first mod and I'm pretty set on intake.

Second, a guy on Kijiji is looking to sell his Unitronic Intake (UH001-INA) off his 2011 GTI for a much better price but I'm not sure if it would fit my MK6 2.5.

Help?

Did you end up getting one? Never saw you come back and post. We can ship to Canada no problem. Just email us to support@moddedeuros.com

CScalzo7

Passed Driver's Ed
I live in Canada and have the APR Carbonio for my 2.5. Quite expensive but it is the best sounding of the intakes for this engine. Recommend not using this intake during winter driving however because it can cause a CEL due to extremely cold air passing by the MAP/Temperature sensor.

jontalk

Ready to race!
Not sure I'd call $300 inexpensive for a CAI though since I'm also new to this world I guess it's the way things are. The APR looks very cool but I can't find a price anywhere..To me this is a dead simple mod and being made of plastic or carbon fiber probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I just took delivery on my totally stock 2010 Golf so I'll be looking into the mods that make the most sense and improve performance.

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
Hey guys,

Help?

You won't get any advantage with a CAI on a 2.5L. Use a performance filter in the stock box. A catback would be nice to improve its grunt. Without going turbo in the MK6 2.5L...you cannot gain much where power is concerned. Even a tune only nets you 10HP. I would go for suspension upgrades, stance, exhaust, intake filter, and make it look tight and pleasing to look at. I know someone that did a turbo and much more and he was at 300HP...but the kit was costly.

gugu1981

Passed Driver's Ed
You won't get any advantage with a CAI on a 2.5L. Use a performance filter in the stock box. A catback would be nice to improve its grunt. Without going turbo in the MK6 2.5L...you cannot gain much where power is concerned. Even a tune only nets you 10HP. I would go for suspension upgrades, stance, exhaust, intake filter, and make it look tight and pleasing to look at. I know someone that did a turbo and much more and he was at 300HP...but the kit was costly.

a number of misinformation in this response:

1. on the 2.5, the air filter is sandwiched within the engine cover, so changing it to ANY aftermarket intake actually makes a good difference

2. with an SRI(short runner intake manifold) and corresponding tune, you can get 190-200 wheel hp. That's a significant jump for a 170 CRANK hp car. But this would only work on a manual transmission equipped car, because most of the gains are in the higher rev ranges, and the automatic transmission would shift before you get to actually use the power. It also is limited to cars with electronic assisted power steering, and I see that you have a Golf, so you are okay there.
http://www.performancebyie.com/inte...-cylinder-intake-manifold-software-intake-kit

3. FrankenTurbo is working on a kit, rumored to be around $3000 price range, aiming to make 300hp. You can follow the progress on facebook

Peter

Last edited:

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
..and how many "numbers of misinformation" did I write? A net of 10HP at the wheels is a likely average you will see by tuning a 2.5L.

Until I see undeniable data from Mass Air logging showing that an aftermarket intake allows more intake air than the OEM with a filter I will stand by the statement I made that an intake doesn't give you an advantage. I ran a drop in filter and then added a 2.75" P-Flo...on the same tune I saw no added air mass. I have also not yet seen proof that an intake allows more air mass on a 2.5L, but waiting and willing to retract my statements if legitimately proven to be incorrect, OK?

Last edited:

gugu1981

Passed Driver's Ed
..and how many "numbers of misinformation" did I write? A net of 10HP at the wheels is a likely average you will see by tuning a 2.5L.

Until I see undeniable data from Mass Air logging showing that an aftermarket intake allows more intake air than the OEM with a filter I will stand by the statement I made that an intake doesn't give you an advantage. I ran a drop in filter and then added a 2.75" P-Flo...on the same tune I saw no added air mass. I have also not yet seen proof that an intake allows more air mass on a 2.5L, but waiting and willing to retract my statements if legitimately proven to be incorrect, OK?

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/epcp-1007-2010-volkwagen-jetta-proven/
specifically, http://image.superstreetonline.com/...+ar0+st0/epcp_1007_07_o+compare_all+graph.jpg

^intake making a difference

http://www.goapr.com/includes/img/products/dyno/25l_i5_mk6/25l_i5_mk6_carbonio_vs_stock_crank.gif

http://afepower.com/catalog/54-12442/graphs/54-12442H1600.jpg

http://afepower.com/catalog/54-12442/graphs/54-12442I1600.jpg

^intake flowing more

http://www.performancebyie.com/inte...-cylinder-intake-manifold-software-intake-kit

^huge power gain without going turbo (there are several other SRI dynos floating out there, ranging between 190 and 210 whp)

Not looking to start a fight, and yes, bolt-ons on the 2.5 doesn't make as much of a difference as it does on the 2.0t, but it doesn't mean it's completely useless.

Peter

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Volkswagen did a very good design on the intakes of all of the engine families.
You are kidding right. VW used the free flowing Lambo head on the 2.5 but "choked it" with the current intake manifold so it had no chance to butcher the sales of the GTI.

jontalk

Ready to race!
As a newbie I wanted to chime in here if you guys don't mind. Previous to my recent acquisition of my Mk 6 Golf, I had a supercharged Mini Cooper S and the CAI options were terrific and reasonable. What staggers me with the VW intakes is the cost ($300+) and then reading the comments that the benefit is minimal at best. While I don't mind investing in mods that are meaningful, the CAI options seem to be super pricey and in many cases amount to little more than a hose with a filter mounted at the end..WTF?