GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Two years too late. A tale of my expanding build.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Fixed the cars issues and put it up for sale. Decided I need a different toy.

I keep going back and forth on selling the GTI and getting a new track toy or keeping it as a daily only and building up something that's track only.

What are you trying to get into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
I feel that, I am going to dump my mk6 and get a mk7 at the end of the year.

I loved the GTI. But there have been too many issues ive fixed. The car should be great for the next few years. But im just tired of working on it at this point. Im done with VW until I can pay someone else to do all my maintenance. Moving to an easier platform.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
I keep going back and forth on selling the GTI and getting a new track toy or keeping it as a daily only and building up something that's track only.

Ill be getting an NB Miata. And yes you can guess it will get the full works from me. If I dont manage to buy a boosted one I will eventually boost one. And its going to get sways, tires, suspension so it can corner well.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion

Also the GTI as a daily is great. I ran into the issues when I also tried to make it the go fast car. But since I dont have the means to own two cars at once I will be getting a single car. The NB should hopefully work well for me.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Ill be getting an NB Miata. And yes you can guess it will get the full works from me. If I dont manage to buy a boosted one I will eventually boost one. And its going to get sways, tires, suspension so it can corner well.

Also the GTI as a daily is great. I ran into the issues when I also tried to make it the go fast car. But since I dont have the means to own two cars at once I will be getting a single car. The NB should hopefully work well for me.

I have found the exact same thing. If you want a DD thats a hell of a lot of fun to take on curvy roads, the GTI is for you. If you want something thats REALLY capable on the track and will challenge you as a driver, and is usable on the roads, you really want to start looking elsewhere.

How long until you plan on swapping those Miata goodies into a new **cough-exocet-cough** chassis?

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
I have found the exact same thing. If you want a DD thats a hell of a lot of fun to take on curvy roads, the GTI is for you. If you want something thats REALLY capable on the track and will challenge you as a driver, and is usable on the roads, you really want to start looking elsewhere.

How long until you plan on swapping those Miata goodies into a new **cough-exocet-cough** chassis?

I was starting to regret selling the GTI. I do miss the car a lot. And after fixing all of the cars issues before selling it was great to drive.

I was going to hold off on buying a Miata. The plan was to go a few years and save some money on car parts. But I managed to find one that I couldnt pass up.

An exocet would be awesome. But that once again requires owning two cars.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I was starting to regret selling the GTI. I do miss the car a lot. And after fixing all of the cars issues before selling it was great to drive.

I was going to hold off on buying a Miata. The plan was to go a few years and save some money on car parts. But I managed to find one that I couldnt pass up.

An exocet would be awesome. But that once again requires owning two cars.

Seems reasonable, how do you like the Miata so far? I've been considering selling the GTI and getting a new DD, then selling the Jeep and getting a miata or something similar as a track car. I'm worried that I'll miss the power of the GTI if I go with a Miata, so I'm curious if the lack of power is as bad as the internet would have me think or if the lightness and handling more than make up for it. Also, did you get a NA or NB miata?

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Seems reasonable, how do you like the Miata so far? I've been considering selling the GTI and getting a new DD, then selling the Jeep and getting a miata or something similar as a track car. I'm worried that I'll miss the power of the GTI if I go with a Miata, so I'm curious if the lack of power is as bad as the internet would have me think or if the lightness and handling more than make up for it. Also, did you get a NA or NB miata?

Im enjoying the miata quite a bit. Its got some issues due to the age of course. But nothing that I dont think I could fix. So far I havent abused the car too much. Im still feeling it out and teaching myself to drive a manual car.

As for the lack of power. It is there but not too big an issue. The biggest thing slowing me down is the driver mod that needs to happen. Coming from the lightning fast DSG to a new manual driver I am the kink in the process.

The car does have one thing that keeps it in the GTI's realm of speed. The previous owner decided to strap on a little Garret GT2560R turbo. Estimates are that im sitting around 170ish WHP. One day I will throw the car on the dyno and find out. But im also missing an aftermarket ECU and the fueling upgrades to go with it. That will bring the car to a likely 260WHP when everything is said and done. Then the car will be much faster than the GTI. Same horsepower but weighing 1000lbs less.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Im enjoying the miata quite a bit. Its got some issues due to the age of course. But nothing that I dont think I could fix. So far I havent abused the car too much. Im still feeling it out and teaching myself to drive a manual car.

As for the lack of power. It is there but not too big an issue. The biggest thing slowing me down is the driver mod that needs to happen. Coming from the lightning fast DSG to a new manual driver I am the kink in the process.

The car does have one thing that keeps it in the GTI's realm of speed. The previous owner decided to strap on a little Garret GT2560R turbo. Estimates are that im sitting around 170ish WHP. One day I will throw the car on the dyno and find out. But im also missing an aftermarket ECU and the fueling upgrades to go with it. That will bring the car to a likely 260WHP when everything is said and done. Then the car will be much faster than the GTI. Same horsepower but weighing 1000lbs less.

Oh nice! I've driven a turbo Miata before and it was a boatload of fun. Heads up on trying for 260whp, I have heard that the motors and transmission (especially the transmission) tend to be fragile over 200whp, so if you go that route, be prepared

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Oh nice! I've driven a turbo Miata before and it was a boatload of fun. Heads up on trying for 260whp, I have heard that the motors and transmission (especially the transmission) tend to be fragile over 200whp, so if you go that route, be prepared

Yes I think I should be able to hold the motor together from what ive read. So long as I dont constantly beat on the car and at the track I keep the boost a bit lower.

The transmission will surely go at some point. That I already expect to replace at some point.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Yes I think I should be able to hold the motor together from what ive read. So long as I dont constantly beat on the car and at the track I keep the boost a bit lower.

The transmission will surely go at some point. That I already expect to replace at some point.

kmiata is making conversion kits to BMW Getrag transmissions that are supposed to be very stout. I think they are making adaptors and flywheels for both Honda K-series motors and stock miata motors. Let me know if you're ever doing a NASA track day in NC, SC, or VA! We need to hang out on track some time!

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
kmiata is making conversion kits to BMW Getrag transmissions that are supposed to be very stout. I think they are making adaptors and flywheels for both Honda K-series motors and stock miata motors. Let me know if you're ever doing a NASA track day in NC, SC, or VA! We need to hang out on track some time!

Im planning to stick with the miata motor. I like the sound of the motor. Its pretty stout and the market isnt bad at all.

The getrag transmission is my ideal goal. But that will depend on costs and available funds at the time.

Since I bought my GTI 5 years ago its still my goal to do some track days. I just keep having life get in the way. Once I get a proper ecu, clutch, and injectors ill be at the track. Just need to find two grand sitting around for that.