GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Depo LED Tail Install Question

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I am in the middle of installing my DEPO LED tails I just received. Wired and secured the bumper light fine. However, I cannot figure out how to get the hatch lights to seat properly. There is a black piece to the outside of the light that is black and curved (I can take pics if needed) that always seems to be in the wrong position preventing the light from seating properly. I feel stupid because so many people have done this install with no issue. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thanks

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Take the black cover pieces off then seat the lights in and snap the black side covers back on

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Yea those shouldn't be glued in they should just snap in instead of being glued. My oem leds just snap in and before my oems I had rep leds which did the same thing they snapped into place. So it's odd to see them glued there. Are those leds brand new or used?

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Yea those shouldn't be glued in they should just snap in instead of being glued. My oem leds just snap in and before my oems I had rep leds which did the same thing they snapped into place. So it's odd to see them glued there. Are those leds brand new or used?
No way would they come glued from the factory.

Zach0918

Ready to race!
Brand new, I ordered them from a large eBay seller. I was able to get them off but should I be concerned? Should go through the whole process a PayPal claim?

Zach0918

Ready to race!
After reinstalling my OEM lights it is clear how those clips should work, with all the glue in the way the covers will not “snap” back in. So annoyed and disappointed. Whoever repackaged them and played them for sale should have known they would not be able to be installed. I will be contacting PayPal.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
I got mine used and they came glued by the previous owner, I just reglued them on after install, not really a big deal for some cheap aftermarkets imo

kiyoshi147

Ready to race!
FWIW, I purchased a second hand set of DEPOs recently and the same pieces were glued on at the tabs as well. Not sure if that was standard, or if it was done by the previous owner. After my experience with those same parts on the ZIZA brand tails falling off every once and a while, a little bit of glue isn't a terrible idea.

BUT in response to the actual issue of installing the hatch taillights without removing those parts, there is a way. Not going to claim it is perfect or correct, but I managed to get one of them in (mainly because I couldn't get the glue loose, as I did on the other). If I recall, with the hatch open and up, just approach with a really high angle to the light. That way the plastic piece will "hook" over the edge. Then just lower the light down into the opening. It won't go completely smoothly, but with a little bit of jiggling, I was able to get the taillight seated correctly.

After my experience with both the DEPO and ZIZA brand taillights, I personally prefer the ZIZA, as I think the fitment is a bit better (especially on the outer taillights). Currently running the ZIZA on the outer, and DEPO on the inner. All was an effort to undo my stupidity going down the rear fog path.