GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air straightener for COBB intake

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been battling gremlins with my COBB Stage 1+ setup. DV+ and new PCV installed. Pressure test passed. Running lean is the problem. COBB says return the unit. Stratified says that many people have installed something like the Treadstone Air Straightener to solve issues with the COBB intake.

I'm trying to figure out my next move.

1) Buy IE or some other intake and swap out COBB and return.
2) Try to install the air straightener and see what happens? Not sure if COBB will take back the intake then. I'll email them about this.

If I do choose to swap out for another intake, what are the top choices? IE, CTS, Unitronic, ECS? Not going APR.

Really looking forward to getting this sorted out.

snidehockey

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine threw a lean code and was surging.

I'm stage 2 with the COBB intake as well.

Tried a bunch of stuff but what ended up fixing it was that air straightener.

My MAF readings were super erratic. Now with this thing in there they are stable.

fradooooo

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this something you put in at the beginning of the intake, where the filter connects? This is something I’m going to have to do since my car throws a lean code also from time to time on a stratified tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe it goes right in front of the MAF sensor. It's been difficult to find videos of installation or discussion about the location and install.

fradooooo

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe it goes right in front of the MAF sensor. It's been difficult to find videos of installation or discussion about the location and install.

I tried looking with no results either. Just that it’s supposed to be installed within 3” of the MAF. I’m gonna do this within the next few weeks and I’ll post my findings here after install attempt.

snidehockey

Passed Driver's Ed
So on the COBB intake, you open the filter housing, remove the filter and pretty much jam it into the intake about 4 inches or so (which ends up right in front of the MAF obviously). With a little adjustment it fits perfect.

The way it's made once you get it in, it's not going anywhere so don't worry about it getting inhaled.

fradooooo

Passed Driver's Ed
So on the COBB intake, you open the filter housing, remove the filter and pretty much jam it into the intake about 4 inches or so (which ends up right in front of the MAF obviously). With a little adjustment it fits perfect.

The way it's made once you get it in, it's not going anywhere so don't worry about it getting inhaled.

No need for epoxy or glue?

chegelheimer

I had same exact issue running cobb intake and stage 2 tune stock maf. Was popping P0101 P2177 (lean bank 1) and P2188. Not sure if my P codes are right... going off memory but the straightener worked great. Car runs wayyyyy better with it o more codes yet. Haven’t driven a whole lot but it’s def running better. Was pretty easy to instal. Had to bend a choke of the outer fins in a tiny as it is exactly 3” but once it was in was very easy to “nudge” into place just before the maf.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I put the air straightener in and it fixed the issue of running lean and turbulent airflow into the MAF. I can't believe it took me 2 months to figure out the airflow straightener. Now I need to send new logs to Stratified for the final MAF tune. And then clutch, because even on low torque (215 lbs), my clutch is wearing down quickly.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I put the air straightener in and it fixed the issue of running lean and turbulent airflow into the MAF. I can't believe it took me 2 months to figure out the airflow straightener. Now I need to send new logs to Stratified for the final MAF tune. And then clutch, because even on low torque (215 lbs), my clutch is wearing down quickly.

Are you planning on staying on the stock turbo? If not I would say get an LSD too while the transmission is out. I just did and it will save you a whole bunch in labor. If you're staying on the stock turbo though you should be all set with just the clutch.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock turbo for now. Currently waiting for Stratified to send me the final MAF tune. Clutch slips like a mofo on the low-torque 93 octane map.

Clutch, brakes, COBB cat-back exhaust, Stage 2 retune , then deal with charge pipes and smaller stuff, then maybe bigger turbo once everything is settled down.

I've been trying to pick a LSD from the various models, need to read more drivability reports on the two main vendors.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Stock turbo for now. Currently waiting for Stratified to send me the final MAF tune. Clutch slips like a mofo on the low-torque 93 octane map.

Clutch, brakes, COBB cat-back exhaust, Stage 2 retune , then deal with charge pipes and smaller stuff, then maybe bigger turbo once everything is settled down.

I've been trying to pick a LSD from the various models, need to read more drivability reports on the two main vendors.

Thats basically the same plan i'm following, currently on the charge pipe portion. I just got a SB stage 2 endurance and peloquin LSD. Was able to floor it in second all the way to redline and only got a slight bit of wheel hop, thats also probably from the mounts and fat tires but im sure the LSD helped as well.