GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WHY did you buy your VW [insert model here]

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
GO!

I had a lemon V8 (08 GP GXP) and needed to get rid of it before it became too costly, brother posted this up at his dealership for 2k under KBB with 24k on the clock. two days later I was a VW owner.

Also, the boost, MPG, hatch style, aftermarket support, and styling did have a part in it too, the GXP was pretty much alone in the world after factory support... I wanted a manual but I read up on the DSG and figured it would suit my needs, it is a daily after all.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Drove a Passat car rental from NJ to Boston for a week having never drove a VW and clicked with the car for some reason. Got me to think twice about VW and I immediately did a little search on their performance oriented car, GTI.

Also looking for most of what you mentioned, some boost, MPG, and support if I wanted to go all out with fun, the car seemed to fit the bill.

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
Ive always been into hatches, mainly because of the space and not wanting a truck lol.

Ive never owned a coupe in my life and only 2 sedans a, a 04 maxima elite and the GXP, for my daughters sake.

6MTCSG

Banned
First watched the scirocco review on Top gear and fell in love with the look. Leased the MK6 Golf when it first came out in 2009 (2010 model) because it resembles the scirocco and it drove great (dispite the fact that it was in the shop for more than 2 months over 3 intervals). Lease was about to end and picked up a 2012 GTI because I sold my bike and want something more fun to drive.

Joel_MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I've always loved hatchbacks growing up. Civic hatches or GTI's. In college, when I was looking to buy my first car I was looking for an MK3, but couldn't find a decent one. So I bought civic hatch instead for the reliability.

Since then I always had my eye on the GTI. Was close to buying an MK4 or MK5 3 years ago but bought the Civic Si hatchback because of lower price and reliability again.

Got tired of the car after 2 years and finally made the jump to VW. I'm still slowly falling in love with this car as time goes on. Especially since I just started modding it.:thumbsup:

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
I've always loved hatchbacks growing up. Civic hatches or GTI's. In college, when I was looking to buy my first car I was looking for an MK3, but couldn't find a decent one. So I bought civic hatch instead for the reliability.

Since then I always had my eye on the GTI. Was close to buying an MK4 or MK5 3 years ago but bought the Civic Si hatchback because of lower price and reliability again.

Got tired of the car after 2 years and finally made the jump to VW. I'm still slowly falling in love with this car as time goes on. Especially since I just started modding it.:thumbsup:

What really sold me was the boost, im not gonna lie lol

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I injured my left knee, changed jobs, and could not take 45 minutes to an hour of bumper to bumper traffic every day with my WRX. Granted, I didn't like the GTI much until I started modding it!

Erick666

Passed Driver's Ed
I always wanted a hatch, was always impressed with the power available in the turbo fours, and wanted a fun car, since my only fun vehicle was a motorcycle. The motorcycle has a lot of limitations, especially with a family. The 4 door GTI with a DSG seems to fit the bill perfectly. Fun. Convenient. It's a conservative driver when I need it to be, but still a blast when I want to have fun. Car seats fit without a problem. Plus, the aftermarket possibilities are huge, so it should keep me plenty busy, if I am so inclined.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
my old volvo 940 sedan (1994 i think) hit some water and oil on a highway on ramp (the kind that loops back around so i was trying to get speed up the ramp because once you get parallel to the highway its less than 100 feet and it ends...

and spun the back wheels almost corrected but ended up hitting the front right on the gaurdrail. Broke the headlight and bent the hood a little.

I drove the volvo for about a month after that but the body shops wanted twice what i paid for the car to fix it so i started looking around always wanted a turbo car and the VW dealers were close to a buddies house so i went to look.
Didnt find anything i really liked but the saleswoman, Diane, was kind and took my name and number in case they got any used ones in..about a week later i was about to drive to Orlando and look at one when i got the call from her that they just received a 2011 on trade in that it was still in service getting the 40k mile service done.

I ended up buying the car before they even listed it or it hit their parking lot.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
because I fell in love with the car during and after driving it on the test drive. It wasn't the fastest car I've ever drove, but it was quick and of course....NEW.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I get the general notion that a lot of people like the GTI more when they start modding it despite putting it in possible "issues" territory.

As I slowly inject minor changes to the car, I can feel the major mod bug about to bite me which for me includes an intake, exhaust, or downpipe.

Adding the dogbone mount created a bit of vibration as others have noted which to me gives the car a more raw feel to it whether you like that or not. No longer is total hush puppy that looks to be babied. It slowly brings me back to my obnoxiously loud and raw SRT4.

I think once you bite the bullet and add in some game changing mods such as an exhaust or intake (although tune is more powa for your $$$), that's when the car will take on a more personal feel. Waiting for that day still!

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!

This. You just can't buy a more practical and efficient car then the golf tdi

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Mk6: Being from europe, a hot hatch is a teenage dream car. My uncle had a Peugeot 106 GTI. My buddy in high school had a mk4 gti 1.8t and i really liked it. But i sucked it up with my moms 2004 TSX/delivered pizzas and so on. But i got into a marketing job at end of my 2nd year in college (i'm a turkish and american citizen, and it's mandatory for every male turkish citizen to join a military bootcamp in preparation of a war for 12-18 months straight, i needed to have that sort of proof to prevent me from that), since i also starting making more/and saving since i don't deliver anymore. I decided to trade in my TSX to my mk6. Another reason was the manual.

Mk7: my mk6 got totalled and i planned to keep it for 2-3 more years from that point so i can buy a mustang gt, m235i, 135i etc. but of course things don't always happen as planned. After driving a rental impala for 2 weeks, i realized that i felt more calmer with an auto. So i decided to gave the dsg a try, if i wasn't that impressed the improvements over mk6, id buy another used mk6 for $18-20k w/ dsg, otherwise i'd likely end up with ST, WRX or mk6 R. Now I have a love/hate relationship with my choice. After that i'm moving onto RWD and atleast a v6 (except for ecoboost mustang). Also (same reason for mk6) I started working at festivals about 6-8 times a year and use some of the cargo space to help out my boss, hence my switch to hatches. I can be doable with a sedan as I did it once on my TSX. I also got back into snowboarding and biking recently since years so this car helps me out. Once I move onto a more fun car (RWD and bigger displacement), I'll snag a "winter" beater like an old 2000ish explorer.

Last edited: