GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I remember you chris just didn't know your screen name lol

EJ, if you are the 'old guy' as people poke fun at here, I recall you too. just havent seen either of your cars haha

Yes, I am the old guy. :(

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Haha no worries I'll be there one day

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Cane joke wasnt referring to his age, had a bum knee long ago...

cane is no longer in use iirc.

Jaber

Modero
EJ’s Detailing Seminar. Followed by lobster tails on the grill.

riceburner

Autocross Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Oh yeah. I did King Crab legs on mothers day. They were fantastic, over a pound per leg. :drool:

crab legs and lobster tails are the best way to eat butter

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
New turbo ordered [emoji847].

Baumy, I’ll send you a message if I decide to sell the stock is38. Not sure yet, my pile of stock parts continues to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
X2

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Ceramic coating sounds like a bitch. Can you apply it over clearbra?

I really need to get a coat of wax (er... Rejex sealant) on the diesel and a fresh coat on the Boxster. Such time. Much pain.

But I'd consider trying ceramic on the Box since it's a small car and the entire front end is clearbra'd.

You can put it over most clear bras.

From what I understand, ceramic coatings do work on clearbras.

Yes it will be a lot of work, but really its the same process as polishing and sealing, just acts as a better sealant, and you ideally wanna give the car time to cure after applying it.

The application of the ceramic coating is the tricky part compared to regular sealing (After polishing). Gotta do it by hand, level it out, and all that. Otherwise, shouldn't be all that bad.

The pros of ceramic coating:
'Fills in' llike glazes do, but last a lot longer
Provides much more protection vs a sealant
Much more hydrophobic

Con:
Need to fully prep and 'jewel' the paintwork for it to cure the best and do it's 'permanent'job. But the term permanent i will use loosely. Nothing is permanent especially with regular washing.

We did it on the Durango. Xpeled the front bumper and hood and ceramic coated the whole car. Downside, it's expensive. All of it. Plus side, it's supposed to keep the rock chips off (xpel) and the ceramic coat is supposed to keep it looking better longer.

I can say after running over a can of spray paint that cleaning the side of the car off was a breeze. Paint came off with no hassle. I can also say it doesn't seem to keep the car any cleaner for any longer than normal. It's filthy after a couple weeks. A power sprayer alone didn't take off the grime. You still have to hand wash like normal.

However, when you do wash it, it looks stunning. I need to see long term results before I can decide if it's worth it. Car is only a couple months old and it's been raining more than not lately. I had the coating applied when new at a detail shop (not the dealer crap they sell you). I shopped it around and most were between 800-1500 for the coating which included some light prep work. It's a lot of coin, but a good buff job is $500 alone. I haven't waxed my truck in 3 years and it still looks pretty good when I get motivated to wash it up good. They claim you don't have to wax for the duration of the coating. So far my truck has cost me $0 after 3 years in waxing so....I think if you have a lighter color car or take care of the paint you could probably skip the coating. I will see after a couple years if my opinion changes.

What is the lifespan on ceramic? I've never used it but may try it on my next car.

2-7 years depending on the product. Most are around 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.