GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do People Fear Modded GTI's?

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
I've had my GTI for about 2 years (in southern CA), and no one has even attempted to race me. Furthermore, people I have tried to race (BMW's, Subaru's, ect) have not accepted the invitation. My question is if anyone else has had the same reaction? Do they think modded GTI's will embarrass them? Do they think GTI's are not worth their time? It's kinda weird, my previous cars, (e46 ///M3, civic si) had people trying to get some all day long!

sicsdeep1

Ready to race!
Do you look modded? A stock GTI isn't much to brag about. With my MK5, I had quite a few people try to race me (Although I rarely did anything) and I was lowered, tinted, and exhaust with a few other body mods.

I do get lots of people trying to go up my R as well - but again, not my thing and like to keep the streets safe.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
You need decals for your back window and at the very least exhaust to make some noise. Obvious plasti dipping and debadge doesnt hurt as well.

misaka

Ready to race!
Perhaps a more aggressive body kit would make people want to race you more.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
rofl funny. Before I got a GTI, fearing their speed was the last thing on my mind. In fact I was in my buddy's 1.8T Mk4 GTI when it got absolutely embarrassed by this kid's Honda that he and the kid would go back and forth over and over of who was faster.
When I had my SRT4 which was modded, I was eating GTI's all over the place that I thought there was no such thing as a fast GTI unless it was completely rebuilt.
Now that I've learned more about GTI I think they can be made faster, but it's not exactly cheap and in the end, it's a lot of wheel spin as any FWD platform is. The thing is, there are SO many GTI's on the road, driven by casual owners and enthusiasts that you think most of the GTI's are stock or just kids putting flair on the outside with a stock motor. Overall, too many GTI's on the road and probably more stockish than modded than the other way around, I think most drivers feel they are up against nothing worth showing up for.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
You need decals for your back window and at the very least exhaust to make some noise. Obvious plasti dipping and debadge doesnt hurt as well.

Why no LED tail lightz plug!?!??

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@SnailPower

your probably right, before I got my GTI I probably wouldn't have given one the time of day. And there are WAY more stock ones than modded. And I'm sad that people still hate on FWD, my old civic would run high 13's all day and would give most cars a run for their money, and I plan on getting my GTI into the high 12's. I know that isn't record breaking or anything but it's at least competitive with most cars out there (modded or not).

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I think its cause we're too fast and leave behind all the ricers.

Before i got my gti, i was in a celica trying to catch up to them. Looking back..id say 80% of them were just casually accelerating. :(