GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering selling my 13 for an Explorer sport EcoBoost.

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!
Carmax just offered me 20k for my 13.

I am considering selling my 13 with 6k miles on it for a more versatile vehicle. I really enjoy the VW, it's stage 1 with a cal legal CAI, but I think I would like something larger that still has a little pep to it.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/trim/sport/

Having more room, and the ability to stick my 160 pound dog in the back would make me happy. I'm not sure of the quality though, when I look up reviews of the sport, they are all over the place in rankings.

Anybody have experience with the new explorers?

As always I'm open for thoughts criticisms and comments.

Last edited:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
It won't handle anything like the GTI and I can promise you the GTI is still much much faster.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I am considering selling my 13 with 6k miles on it for a more versatile vehicle. I really enjoy the VW, it's stage 1 with a cal legal CAI, but I think I would like something larger that still has a little pep to it.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/trim/sport/

Having more room, and the ability to stick my 160 pound dog in the back would make me happy. I'm not sure of the quality though, when I look up reviews of the sport, they are all over the place in rankings.

Anybody have experience with the new explorers?

As always I'm open for thoughts criticisms and comments.

I see why you would need a more versatile vehicle as you have your dog, maybe other errands to run. To that extent, why not just buy something that costs as much as the difference between the price of the the GTI minus the price of the Explorer.

Remember that it won't be new, but it should be reliable and versatile, at least enough to be used when you need it the most. I doubt the Explorer will be very great for Daily driving (mpg, etc.) compared to the GTI. You could get a used Toyota SUV, etc.

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!
I know it won't handle like a Gti, prob a couple thousand pounds heavier. But it still gets up and goes.

As far as buying a used older vehicle, that doesn't interest me.

The sport version is cool, but I just don't know anybody who has one unfortunately. The quality of American has improved, but I don't think they pay attention to the details we are used to.

At 43k, it's a lot of car, but I'm sure I could get out the door below that price if I decided to go for it. :)

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I know a couple people with them and they love them. They all have families, so the utility of them is obviously the big selling point for them. But, they have decent power for a big vehicle, and as far I as I have heard nobody has had any problems with them. Where are you located?

misaka

Ready to race!
If I had a dog, and wanted something more SUV type, I'd probably go with a Forester 2.0 XT. 29-35kish range. If it climbs in into the 40k range, I'd probably just get an Audi Q5 3.0 premium plus. More than that I'd probably do an SQ5 vs Macan.

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!
I know a couple people with them and they love them. They all have families, so the utility of them is obviously the big selling point for them. But, they have decent power for a big vehicle, and as far I as I have heard nobody has had any problems with them. Where are you located?

I'm in your area. :)

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!
If I had a dog, and wanted something more SUV type, I'd probably go with a Forester 2.0 XT. 29-35kish range. If it climbs in into the 40k range, I'd probably just get an Audi Q5 3.0 premium plus. More than that I'd probably do an SQ5 vs Macan.

I Like the Audi Q7, the 5 is sweet too. But I do want as much room as possible with decent to power. X5 is nice, but is it me or do they look dated after just a couple years?

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!
This is stupid. Why have we not gotten together to talk cars and drink a delicious brew?

Lol, good question, I'm drinking a Laguanitas Maximus right now. Manderas in Folsom keeps Pliny on tap, we will have to throw a few back!