GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe & inspection help! Gti

Mason

Sorry I'm new at this. I recently just got a 2011 Gti it has stage 2 apr intake, eurojet exhaust system. I believe it is tuned because it goes over red line easily and doesn't give me a cel even though it has a test pipe and no converter. The problem is my car won't pass inspection because of the test pipe. I scan it and it fails the catalytic converter part and the o2 sensors. How can I get it to pass inspection? I know I can put a converter on it but I don't want the power lost from it. Would a downpipe from apr keep the hp and pass inspection & emmisons? I'm from New York so it would be a New York inspection. Thank you in advanced and sorry I'm new at this.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
So if you google this issue, you'll find a couple things. First, the Stage 2 tune is purposely coded for your car not to throw a CEL with no cat. However, you are correct in saying that this setup will cause your car to fail inspection. Given this, you have two options.

1) You can mess around with some o2 spacers and try to find a combination that allows your car to pass. I can't remember if they do the tail pipe sniffer in NY, but I don't think they do. Just remember that after each spacer setup you'll have to drive around for a couple hundred miles and make sure the readiness issues reset and that you don't end up back at square one. The spacers on these cars is very hit or miss, so there's no guarantees this will work.

2) You can trade your catless DP for a catted one, preferably with spacers. I believe out of the box the AWE ones are the only DPs that are guaranteed to pass inspection (which is why I went with one), but I know there are others around that can be made to pass.

Mason

Thank you for the help, but are you a 100% sure awe downpipe will pass the New York inspection they don't do the sniff test just run the codes. Also if my car is already tuned for a 3 inch pipe will a 2.5 mess it up at all? And thank you so much for all the help!

simpson110

Ready to race!
Run o2 spacers. If you search around on google you should be able to find some threads. With th readiness test as long as all the systems are ready you're fine. I'm in ct and it works here we can't have any systems not ready or it's an automatic fail.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for the help, but are you a 100% sure awe downpipe will pass the New York inspection they don't do the sniff test just run the codes. Also if my car is already tuned for a 3 inch pipe will a 2.5 mess it up at all? And thank you so much for all the help!

I'm positive on the AWE pipe, though they're much more on the expensive side. Unless you have a custom tune, it won't matter if you have a 2.5 or 3 inch downpipe. Since it's just the codes, it's really up to you what direction you want to go in. The cheapest thing to do is most likely to try and work with spacers, though it depends on how much you really feel like messing around with it. I happened to get a steal on my AWE downpipe, and since I only feel like installing it once and not having to worry about it I went with it. Otherwise, you can just drop the current pipe and mess around with it as much as you want.

St3ph3nsvw12GTI

Ready to race!
I'm also from NY and I'm looking around for exhaust systems.

First of all Congrats on the new ride! Second how do you like your Eurojet? I'm not sure if they have v-band connection, if so it makes changing the DP easier.
I have been doing my own research and saw that 42DD has a CA, NY specific Cat DP thats supposedly passes inspection. I know that some people have luck with their spacers too but IDK if they do with the straight pipe.

Charlotte CC

Ready to race!
You also have to get a tune that will set/allow readiness, and not block it out.

NLeo

Ready to race!
I live in New York and have no issues passing inspection with no cats. You need to contact apr and have them create you a stock file that keeps readiness for the rear o2. This way it will throw a cel in stock mode but not in stage 2 mode. Then get an o2 spacer and put it in stock mode and drive it until everything is ready. I usually take the spacer off right after I get inspected but last time I decided to keep it on. Ive been in stock mode with no cel for 4 months now and have gone over 5000 miles. Without the spacer it would throw the cel within 30 miles.

zrickety

The Fixer
It's still a fail in NY.
Your inspector didn't notice or didn't care.

NLeo

Ready to race!
It's still a fail in NY.
Your inspector didn't notice or didn't care.

All the senors were ready the only wait it would fail is a visual and they saw the spacer. I did go someplace that I knew wouldn't look under the car. I went to jiffy lube once and they noticed the spacer but I just went to another one my friend worked at and they passed it fine. This year I went to goodyear and they just lifted the car up enough to get the wheel off.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I live in New York and have no issues passing inspection with no cats. You need to contact apr and have them create you a stock file that keeps readiness for the rear o2. This way it will throw a cel in stock mode but not in stage 2 mode. Then get an o2 spacer and put it in stock mode and drive it until everything is ready. I usually take the spacer off right after I get inspected but last time I decided to keep it on. Ive been in stock mode with no cel for 4 months now and have gone over 5000 miles. Without the spacer it would throw the cel within 30 miles.

ive tried calling apr and requesting they allow readiness of the o2sensor for me even if im in 91 or 93 mode so i can make sure my spacer is working without having to drive around in stock mode forever. they said they would do that but never got back to me or returned my subsequent calls

Charlotte CC

Ready to race!
ive tried calling apr and requesting they allow readiness of the o2sensor for me even if im in 91 or 93 mode so i can make sure my spacer is working without having to drive around in stock mode forever. they said they would do that but never got back to me or returned my subsequent calls

What you need is a non-testpipe file, not just for stock mode (which is common), but for all modes. They can easily do it.