GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trying to buy a mk6 GTI, things to look for?

davidbaguetta

So I'm currently looking for a mk6 GTI used in DC metro area. I know to check for any rust, suspension problems, and all that good stuff. Is there anything specific to GTI that I should look for? Also, how is the bluetooth in the mk6?

The Yetti

Ready to race!
Check out the NovaDubs Classifieds on Facebook. Good people with good cars coming up from time to time.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
So I'm currently looking for a mk6 GTI used in DC metro area. I know to check for any rust, suspension problems, and all that good stuff. Is there anything specific to GTI that I should look for? Also, how is the bluetooth in the mk6?

What year GTI are you looking for? The later years(13-14) have a few issues sorted out that plagued some of the earlier models (timing chain tensioner, intake flapper, etc). Always look for things like service and maintenance history, to get an idea of how the car has been treated. Looking for manual or DSG? Each has different things to look for.

Regarding Bluetooth, everyone has a different opinion, but I've been fairly impressed with the Bluetooth system in the car.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
What year GTI are you looking for? The later years(13-14) have a few issues sorted out that plagued some of the earlier models (timing chain tensioner, intake flapper, etc). Always look for things like service and maintenance history, to get an idea of how the car has been treated. Looking for manual or DSG? Each has different things to look for.

Regarding Bluetooth, everyone has a different opinion, but I've been fairly impressed with the Bluetooth system in the car.

My Bluetooth has worked pretty flawlessly as well.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
My 2013 is the fist car I've ever had with blue teeth. They seem to work well although I have nothing to compare it with.

MK6BRO

Passed Driver's Ed
My bluetooth with my iPhone 5s worked flawlessly but has been spotty with my Galaxy s6.

edit: 11' gti

Graustark

Ready to race!

Water pump! Mine died in my 2010 just barely within the warranty period, fortunately.

lostk

Ready to race!

trying to get into stance?

Stinger

Ready to race!
Not many issues with Mk6's except those that have been clearly identified on this forum. You want to know if the parts have already been replaced or you might want at least a 12 months warranty to cover the replacement:

water pump (2015+ update)
manifold
DV (new model)

There's also a radiator heat fuse that requires a complete radiator replacement.

Am I forgetting things?

spenny02

Ready to race!
See if pcv valve has been replaced, diverter valve, water pump. Also check around the valve cover as the seal goes bad on them. The older models tend to have issues with all those things usually around the time it goes out of warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
My bluetooth worked fine but my RNS-315 was a pile of junk. I prefer my Kenwood to the stock radio for everything except the way it looks because you can tell it is aftermarket. Other than that, it is superior to the RNS-315 in every way, including native FLAC playback!

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Water pump! Mine died in my 2010 just barely within the warranty period, fortunately.

Water pump has been recalled for 11-14 models, so you're covered there. (As long as you get a 2011+ lol)

I'd check for carbon buildup, intake manifold (cracks,) and I'd also look into CPO @ VW dealerships..

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
As I also live in the DC metro, definitely check the wheels if it's bent. Cause you know how our roads are. Make sure allignment is good too. Yeah check novadubs for classifieds, theres a separate page for classifieds alone, just an fyi. Some of the novadubs members work at lindsay vw in sterling too.

One thing that might happen for future reference, if potholes knock your allignment out, look for tyrolsport deadset subframe collar kit, worth $200. But worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk