GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB tuning?!

Gino

Ready to race!
I want to try a cobb protune but really hate the idea of throwing my $750 in Unitronic down the drain :( I am sure a protune will do wonders for my build, but maybe soon I will get the cobb ap and protune. The gains in the graph above are really nice.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!

corman1313

Ready to race!
Nice. What are your mods?

Have you tried recalibrating your DSG through VCDS?

You definitely should be hitting 20 psi. On my Cobb e-tune I've hit 22 psi, but most pulls I'm about about 20 psi.
Power mods are Neuspeed Turbo back, front mount intercooler, discharge/charge pipe and intake, USP rear intake pipe, fluidampr pulley, DV+, R8 coil packs and NGK plugs.

I haven't tried recalibrating the DSG myself but I'm sure Jason at Cobb was doing what he could.

I am actually fine not hitting the 20psi target, I want it to hit target boost but I'm fine with 18-19 psi as the car overall is more powerful.

I sent an email to Jason(tuner at Cobb SoCal) and he wants me to bring my car in on a closed day to spend the day working on it and fine tune things, again their 2nd GTI for a pro tune and their first DSG.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Power mods are Neuspeed Turbo back, front mount intercooler, discharge/charge pipe and intake, USP rear intake pipe, fluidampr pulley, DV+, R8 coil packs and NGK plugs.

I haven't tried recalibrating the DSG myself but I'm sure Jason at Cobb was doing what he could.

I am actually fine not hitting the 20psi target, I want it to hit target boost but I'm fine with 18-19 psi as the car overall is more powerful.

I sent an email to Jason(tuner at Cobb SoCal) and he wants me to bring my car in on a closed day to spend the day working on it and fine tune things, again their 2nd GTI for a pro tune and their first DSG.

Wow, that's a pretty built car. I'm jealous. I'd like to get mine at that point someday.

18-19 psi isn't bad though. What is the volume of the FMIC compared to the stock IC? If it's larger, that could explain lower boost. And lower boost isn't always indicative of less power. If the FMIC is larger, you will generally have less boost, but more power.

I'd double-check the DSG recalibration. I've never done it and am not entirely clear on how the process works, but I've seen it as first step in troubleshooting DSG issues.

At the end of the day, you still posted up some good numbers.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Wow, that's a pretty built car. I'm jealous. I'd like to get mine at that point someday.

18-19 psi isn't bad though. What is the volume of the FMIC compared to the stock IC? If it's larger, that could explain lower boost. And lower boost isn't always indicative of less power. If the FMIC is larger, you will generally have less boost, but more power.

I'd double-check the DSG recalibration. I've never done it and am not entirely clear on how the process works, but I've seen it as first step in troubleshooting DSG issues.

At the end of the day, you still posted up some good numbers.
Thank you, it's taken me 2 years to get to this point.

It was hitting target boost on the dyno so something changed after that. Although I never actually saw the psi numbers on the dyno screen during tuning but he was clear with me that it should hit that. I also don't think the intercooler is the issue because I've peaked at 22 psi with the stage 2 91 OTS file with the same setup and constantly hit 20 psi on the regular. I guess going back for more work on it will be the only answer.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Thank you, it's taken me 2 years to get to this point.

It was hitting target boost on the dyno so something changed after that. Although I never actually saw the psi numbers on the dyno screen during tuning but he was clear with me that it should hit that. I also don't think the intercooler is the issue because I've peaked at 22 psi with the stage 2 91 OTS file with the same setup and constantly hit 20 psi on the regular. I guess going back for more work on it will be the only answer.

Yeah man, I've got not clue. Good luck though!

cardoboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright, so here's an update on my AP experience.

I had my car in for service and they replaced a leaking timing chain cover gasket, and also my DV, both under warranty.

I replaced the spark plugs with NGK iridiums and the red top R8 coil packs.

I then flashed my car to 91 octance stage 1 high boost (I had 1/4 tank of 89/93 mix). Everything worked GREAT! Car was still smooth, and the power came on fairly linearly, like stock form, but more of it.

The next day I filled up with 93 and re-flashed with 93 octane Stage 1+. Poor experience. The car was unpredictable. It started with jumpy idling (I have a CBFA car) and when the car warmed up, the idling settled. However, throttle response was not linear AT ALL. I would press the throtte and the car felt like a dog, then it would surge. This was while maintaining a steady pressure on the throttle.

I pulled over after driving about 2 miles and re-flashed to 93 Octane Stage 1 High Boost and the car was once again linear predictable.

I have a USP Motorsports Carbon Fiber intake installed, which I guess is too dissimilar from the COBB intake to make that particular map work. Maybe I didn't give the ECU enough time to adjust, but it was not a pleasant experience in 1+.

I am very pleased with the rest of the maps I have tried though. Just thought I'd share.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Alright, so here's an update on my AP experience.

I had my car in for service and they replaced a leaking timing chain cover gasket, and also my DV, both under warranty.

I replaced the spark plugs with NGK iridiums and the red top R8 coil packs.

I then flashed my car to 91 octance stage 1 high boost (I had 1/4 tank of 89/93 mix). Everything worked GREAT! Car was still smooth, and the power came on fairly linearly, like stock form, but more of it.

The next day I filled up with 93 and re-flashed with 93 octane Stage 1+. Poor experience. The car was unpredictable. It started with jumpy idling (I have a CBFA car) and when the car warmed up, the idling settled. However, throttle response was not linear AT ALL. I would press the throtte and the car felt like a dog, then it would surge. This was while maintaining a steady pressure on the throttle.

I pulled over after driving about 2 miles and re-flashed to 93 Octane Stage 1 High Boost and the car was once again linear predictable.

I have a USP Motorsports Carbon Fiber intake installed, which I guess is too dissimilar from the COBB intake to make that particular map work. Maybe I didn't give the ECU enough time to adjust, but it was not a pleasant experience in 1+.

I am very pleased with the rest of the maps I have tried though. Just thought I'd share.
This was my same experience with the newest V103 file and the P Flo intake. Because Cobb uses their own housing on the MAF other intakes have a hard time with their tune. Your best bet is to go back to the V102 file, I think you be fine there.

It's normal or at least it's happened to me and another member for the car to act funny on first Stat up after flashing from map to map. Hard idle and a lot of intake noise.

After my recent Cobb protune my intake is having no issues.

Their stage 1 map is pretty clean, it's smooth and linear as you said.

cardoboy

Passed Driver's Ed
This was my same experience with the newest V103 file and the P Flo intake. Because Cobb uses their own housing on the MAF other intakes have a hard time with their tune. Your best bet is to go back to the V102 file, I think you be fine there.

It's normal or at least it's happened to me and another member for the car to act funny on first Stat up after flashing from map to map. Hard idle and a lot of intake noise.

After my recent Cobb protune my intake is having no issues.

Their stage 1 map is pretty clean, it's smooth and linear as you said.

I probably won't bother with changing to v102. I have a downpipe in the garage I need to install, and then I'll just load Stage 2.

I did two launches with the 91 Octane Stage 1 High Boost map, and holy wheelspin. The Launch Control also revved around 3.5k, when I was pretty sure in stock map it revved around 3k. 0-60 was timed at 6.08s, which kinda sucked but I spun almost all the way through all of second, and of course all of first. Need more traction than the OEM tires are giving me.

Testing new signature with this post also.

corman1313

Ready to race!
I probably won't bother with changing to v102. I have a downpipe in the garage I need to install, and then I'll just load Stage 2.

I did two launches with the 91 Octane Stage 1 High Boost map, and holy wheelspin. The Launch Control also revved around 3.5k, when I was pretty sure in stock map it revved around 3k. 0-60 was timed at 6.08s, which kinda sucked but I spun almost all the way through all of second, and of course all of first. Need more traction than the OEM tires are giving me.

Testing new signature with this post also.
Ok that's a good plan, the power up top is nice with stage 2. You'll still need to load stage 2 V102 file for the ECU to play nicer with the intake.

As for your wheel spin, tires and a few suspension mods will help keep that power down for sure. I just Cobb pro tuned at 266/307 and no wheel spin with some mods. I haven't launched but of course wheel spin will occur then.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Think of the AP more of as a tool. It enables tuning, datalogging, fault checking. A protune or tune built for your specific and exact mods however will really make the car shine in terms of power as well as driveability. This is where protuners like ourselves come in.

corman1313

Ready to race!
So update after 5 days on the Cobb pro tune.

Things did not end well with Cobb SoCal and I... Before beginning my pro tune on Tuesday I was never told that my GTI was only their second in for a pro tune and their FIRST DSG period.
This was the reason it took the tuner 10 hours to tune my car. Long story short the tuner wanted me to come back to clean a few small things up regarding the tune and the DSG, because Cobb does not have DSG software out I am left with OEM software on a pro tune which has some choppy areas. Cobb has not released a DSG tune yet because they have not cracked it.

Cobb SoCal's customer service is garbage, I am almost 2 hours away from their shop and they wanted me to come back on one of their closed days, Sunday or Monday. I told the tuner it would have to be a Sunday as I really work both days but Sunday is best for me. I was told that they are doing me a favor by coming in on a day off. I needed them to understand that they are not doing me any favors by continuing to work on my car, I paid for a service that hasn't been completed yet therefore it's not a favor. I gave them 10 hours and from what I counted looked like 30 pulls on the dyno, which is way more than I wanted to do. I took a test drive with the tuner who was dead silent during the whole thing, he didn't give me any feedback on what I'm looking for, instantly my car lost power and idle was shit with the EPC light on. We pulled over and I restarted the car and it was ok, I had this issue again today.
Fast forward a few days and 27 emails between the tuner and I.

The Cobb shop manager called me at 9:45pm on Thursday night after hearing from the tuner that I was not satisfied with the customer service or the fact that my tune is not perfect and I was waiting to leave a review on my experience with the VW community. The manager in his own words told me that Cobb jumped the gun by releasing their tuning software as they do not fully understand the DSG system therefor that's the reason my tune is not perfect.
He continued to tell me that his shop is just a franchise and they are just 5 car guys working under the Cobb name. He leveled with me and said that I should not have waited at their facility for over 10 hours and not be told what's going on with my car, so he wanted to refund me my money for the pro tune.

He then told me that my car became R&D for them, this is where I stopped him and let him know that I did not pay for R&D on my car, I paid for a perfect pro tune by one of the most well-known tuning companies in the game. He really tried to get me to continue to work with them and figure out the issue but what turned me away was his confidence in solving the issue. I asked if I come back and let the tuner work on it again are you confident that you can get my car where I want it? He was dead silent and proceeded to tell me that my standards are too high.
That right there told me I went to the wrong place. He was really trying to drive the point of breaking this area open and I could really help them in the VW community, in reality they are late to the game, other companies have had DSG software upgrades for years. I did not want another 30 pulls done on my car which he could not tell me for sure that wouldn't happen.

So we went our separate ways, he refunded me. I will give them credit for the tune over all, it's very strong and is a night and day difference over the OTS map. It could be smoother if he was able to work with the DSG more but until their software is released I will have to deal with it. If they would have been upfront and told me they don't fully understand the system then I might have not done it or they could have offered to discount the tuning. But I personally think they shouldn't tune mk6 GTI's until they fully have things down, they need a shop car to do their testing on and not use their customer's cars without telling them.

So this is my personal experience with Cobb SoCal, very disappointed is how I feel.

cardoboy

Passed Driver's Ed
So update after 5 days on the Cobb pro tune.

Things did not end well with Cobb SoCal and I... Before beginning my pro tune on Tuesday I was never told that my GTI was only their second in for a pro tune and their FIRST DSG period.
This was the reason it took the tuner 10 hours to tune my car. Long story short the tuner wanted me to come back to clean a few small things up regarding the tune and the DSG, because Cobb does not have DSG software out I am left with OEM software on a pro tune which has some choppy areas. Cobb has not released a DSG tune yet because they have not cracked it.

Cobb SoCal's customer service is garbage, I am almost 2 hours away from their shop and they wanted me to come back on one of their closed days, Sunday or Monday. I told the tuner it would have to be a Sunday as I really work both days but Sunday is best for me. I was told that they are doing me a favor by coming in on a day off. I needed them to understand that they are not doing me any favors by continuing to work on my car, I paid for a service that hasn't been completed yet therefore it's not a favor. I gave them 10 hours and from what I counted looked like 30 pulls on the dyno, which is way more than I wanted to do. I took a test drive with the tuner who was dead silent during the whole thing, he didn't give me any feedback on what I'm looking for, instantly my car lost power and idle was shit with the EPC light on. We pulled over and I restarted the car and it was ok, I had this issue again today.
Fast forward a few days and 27 emails between the tuner and I.

The Cobb shop manager called me at 9:45pm on Thursday night after hearing from the tuner that I was not satisfied with the customer service or the fact that my tune is not perfect and I was waiting to leave a review on my experience with the VW community. The manager in his own words told me that Cobb jumped the gun by releasing their tuning software as they do not fully understand the DSG system therefor that's the reason my tune is not perfect.
He continued to tell me that his shop is just a franchise and they are just 5 car guys working under the Cobb name. He leveled with me and said that I should not have waited at their facility for over 10 hours and not be told what's going on with my car, so he wanted to refund me my money for the pro tune.

He then told me that my car became R&D for them, this is where I stopped him and let him know that I did not pay for R&D on my car, I paid for a perfect pro tune by one of the most well-known tuning companies in the game. He really tried to get me to continue to work with them and figure out the issue but what turned me away was his confidence in solving the issue. I asked if I come back and let the tuner work on it again are you confident that you can get my car where I want it? He was dead silent and proceeded to tell me that my standards are too high.
That right there told me I went to the wrong place. He was really trying to drive the point of breaking this area open and I could really help them in the VW community, in reality they are late to the game, other companies have had DSG software upgrades for years. I did not want another 30 pulls done on my car which he could not tell me for sure that wouldn't happen.

So we went our separate ways, he refunded me. I will give them credit for the tune over all, it's very strong and is a night and day difference over the OTS map. It could be smoother if he was able to work with the DSG more but until their software is released I will have to deal with it. If they would have been upfront and told me they don't fully understand the system then I might have not done it or they could have offered to discount the tuning. But I personally think they shouldn't tune mk6 GTI's until they fully have things down, they need a shop car to do their testing on and not use their customer's cars without telling them.

So this is my personal experience with Cobb SoCal, very disappointed is how I feel.

Damn ,that really sucks man! I can imagine you are extremely disappointed.

That's kind of why I want to wait for a pro-tune until COBB has some DSG software available.

I'm happy with my Stage 1 High boost for now, and will get the Stage 2 loaded after downpipe. But paying for a pro-tune without the DSG being tuned is not in my plans for now.

Maybe you could send your data to a tuner that has had better luck with DSG cars?

corman1313

Ready to race!
Damn ,that really sucks man! I can imagine you are extremely disappointed.

That's kind of why I want to wait for a pro-tune until COBB has some DSG software available.

I'm happy with my Stage 1 High boost for now, and will get the Stage 2 loaded after downpipe. But paying for a pro-tune without the DSG being tuned is not in my plans for now.

Maybe you could send your data to a tuner that has had better luck with DSG cars?
I agree, I think I'm going to try that.

The EPC light came on and kicked power 3 times already today. This sucks, I can't even enjoy my new tune.