GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catback Exhaust or Exhaust Tips???

SJC

Ready to race!
Magnaflow seems to have a good sound. Any fitment issues? I read that people have had issues, especially with one tip sticking out more etc.

Bought mine recently.
Perfect fit.
Both tips are even.
Maybe Magnaflow fixed it.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks!!! That’s good to know because it does have a really good sound without getting annoying. That one and the catback from Borla seem to be really good for the money.

I looked at AWE, and they seem to agree that the 2.5 inch catback is better than the 3 inch catback for the MK6, unless you have an aftermarket 3 inch DP. Their Dino tests showed a gain with the 2.5 inch and a loss of torque with the 3 inch. That’s something to consider when choosing an exhaust, and both the Magnaflow and the Borla exhausts are 2.5 inch.

Do your exhaust tips stick out a little more with the Magnaflow exhaust, or are they at the same distance as the stock? Feel like they should come out just 1/2-1 inch more than the stock ones.

The last one

SJC

Ready to race!
Thanks!!! That’s good to know because it does have a really good sound without getting annoying. That one and the catback from Borla seem to be really good for the money.

I looked at AWE, and they seem to agree that the 2.5 inch catback is better than the 3 inch catback for the MK6, unless you have an aftermarket 3 inch DP. Their Dino tests showed a gain with the 2.5 inch and a loss of torque with the 3 inch. That’s something to consider when choosing an exhaust, and both the Magnaflow and the Borla exhausts are 2.5 inch.

Do your exhaust tips stick out a little more with the Magnaflow exhaust, or are they at the same distance as the stock? Feel like they should come out just 1/2-1 inch more than the stock ones.

The last one

The tips do stick out a little more.
Magnaflow cat back comes with a 2.5” reducer to fit the stock downpipe.
It goes up to 3” through the muffler and all the way to the split at which point it reduces to 2.5” pipe and then it terminates at the 4” tips.

I had the 2.5” reducer removed and a piece of 3” pipe installed onto the 3” unitronic downpipe for better stage 2 efficiency.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
...I know that you don’t really see much of a difference with a Catback in terms of sound and performance...

So you've said this multiple times. How did you come to the conclusion that a CBE does little for sound? (Agreed that it has been dynoed to do little for performance. The big gains are made from a new DP).

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Exactly what you said. It’s the DP that makes the difference. catbacks are for looks, and some sound improvement, but that improvement is enough for me. Most videos I have seen with catbacks have guys who want a drastic sound difference,and they aren’t satisfied with what they hear. For me, the Magnaflow sound is the perfect sound, but I am not sure about the rusting issue with them.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Have you considered doing a resonator delete and then doing tips?

I was gonna go catback but I saw some people talk about deleting the resonator and how it sounds and figured I try that route first. Costed me $75 and to me I think it sounds amazing. Not loud at all unless you really get on it and otherwise you don't know you've changed anything.

Frankly in my opinion the only drawback here is that you still have that ugly stamped muffler showing from the back of the car....but otherwise its a solid mod.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Doesn't the Borla use better steel?

YES....way better stainless :thumbsup:

Q. Why does it cost more?

The most commonly used metals in the manufacture of exhaust systems are rusty mild steel, aluminized steel or an inferior 400-series stainless. BORLA® uses only high quality austenitic stainless steel. It costs more than the other lesser grades of steel. To cut, bend and hand weld this grade of stainless steel takes special equipment too. Ask your local muffler shop if they can make a smooth, precision mandrel bend in a 2.50" 201 or 304 Stainless Steel pipe for you. You won't find many that can, and it won't be cheap. We also focus heavily on research and development to assure that the system fits, performs and sounds better than any other system on the market. Add to this pressure testing, our Million-Mile Warranty and the years of race winning technology that go into the systems made at BORLA®, and you will see why we have so many loyal, repeat customers. A BORLA® is actually very cost effective when you take into account the fact that most exhaust systems will need replacement within 18 months to 4 years while a BORLA® exhaust is designed to last the life of your vehicle.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everyone. I will check on the resonator delete, but getting rid of that suitcase in the middle of the car may be the way to go. Milltek, Borla, Magnaflow and AWE all seem to have very good catbacks. The Magnaflows rusting issue bothers me because of the way that it will look from the back. Really disappointed because it’s my favorite one of them all. Really like the black diamond tips of the AWE, as well as the price. Borla is the king of exhausts, and Milltek probably makes the best exhausts for VW. So I guess we will see.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
YES....way better stainless :thumbsup:

Q. Why does it cost more?

The most commonly used metals in the manufacture of exhaust systems are rusty mild steel, aluminized steel or an inferior 400-series stainless. BORLA® uses only high quality austenitic stainless steel. It costs more than the other lesser grades of steel. To cut, bend and hand weld this grade of stainless steel takes special equipment too. Ask your local muffler shop if they can make a smooth, precision mandrel bend in a 2.50" 201 or 304 Stainless Steel pipe for you. You won't find many that can, and it won't be cheap. We also focus heavily on research and development to assure that the system fits, performs and sounds better than any other system on the market. Add to this pressure testing, our Million-Mile Warranty and the years of race winning technology that go into the systems made at BORLA®, and you will see why we have so many loyal, repeat customers. A BORLA® is actually very cost effective when you take into account the fact that most exhaust systems will need replacement within 18 months to 4 years while a BORLA® exhaust is designed to last the life of your vehicle.

I thought it was actually slightly cheaper than the Magnaflow. $699 vs $708

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
SnailPower....I see that you have a mangaflow exhaust. Are you happy with it? I’ve seen several videos on it and it sounded a little deeper than the stock exhaust, and looked good with the 4 inch tips. I was leaning towards that until I saw a few reviews about the CBE having fitment issues and bad customer service.

No fitment issues and I got mine used from a kid that traded me it for my AgencyPower exhaust.

While the left side pipe at the bend appears to look fine, the right side that goes to the exit appears to have the rusted out look however it's not truly rust, just appears that look. Doesn't bother me really.

It sounds good. Honestly, it's a lot louder than I always thought Magnaflow exhausts were. Can't say it sounds good or bad since the exhausts all sound similar minus to me, AgencyPower which was just too damn loud but muscle like.